Molot factory extended magazine release??

I ordered a VEPR-12 online a week ago and just picked it up today. Looks very nice, just as I expected, but one thing I didn't expect is what seems to be some sort of extended magazine release. I don't shoot competition and would much rather have the normal magazine release tab. Will I be able to install a normal one? Should I just send it back?

post-43763-0-73970400-1389480782_thumb.jpgpost-43763-0-96382700-1389480783_thumb.jpgpost-43763-0-94580400-1389480784_thumb.jpgpost-43763-0-04882400-1389480786_thumb.jpg

Who did you order from? It should be able to be reversed, so long as you can find the parts. Ive never replaced mine, so I dont really have any info on where to find the factory OEM part. I do like that though.

Interesting.

I don't shoot competition either but I find the ram release I installed on mine to be a welcomed match over the stock release. The Magwell makes the stock piece a little more difficult to use. 

I'd trade, if u wanted. :)

• Like 1

The gun is brand spanking new. Fresh out of the Molot box with russian writing on one side and greasy brown wax paper. Somehow I got a model that came with a factory extended mag release.

I don't have the parts to try and convert it, so monday morning I am going to see if I can get another one. Just sucks because I will have to pay FFL transfer fees again. I'm sure its a nice feature for some, but as an avid AK user, a standard mag release is perfect for me.

Is knocking the pin out and changing it within the scope of your skills? I am sure you could find someone on this forum that would gladly swap you factory for extended releases!

That's what I offered above.

Its kind of a pain in the ass reinstalling everything, patience is key. 

• Like 1

I'll send him my oe mag catch if a member in TX was willing to help him swap it in. I'd just ask that the OP donate his un wanted release to someone on here.

Doesn't get any better than this! And those FFL fees could be put towards a nice cold one after the parts are swapped...beer.gif

Good news is that it's waaaay easier to install the original mag catch release tab when compared to the extended. I do miss the feeling of the original tab mag release though because you can grab it as you release with the same hand. And yes, extended is good for competition use, BUT after much practice with the extended you will get use to mag changes with it. I would keep it and practice with it for a month. If you don't like it, you can easily swap it out with the original one. Don't waste your time sending it back, your baby is already in your hands.

I'm actually in Houston, TX (heights area) and won't mind helping you swap it out...

Edited by DresNightfire
  • Like 1

I haven't been able to get out to the range yet, but I worked on some handling drills and tried to get used to it.

I HATE IT.

I have smaller hands and unless I really stretch, I cannot get enough pressure to fully release the mag catch.

I will just stick to what I know well, the good ol' faithful tab release.

Thank you Mullet Man, I will PM you.

7.62m43 If you want my extended release, its yours.  Otherwise, Vette447 will get it.

And I will be contacting you Dres. Thanks for offering help. Unfortunately I do not have the tools or workspace, even for just punching a pin.

Oh, and the vendor I bought from is Arms of America. Excellent customer service; they even changed the shipping to a cheaper one with similar delivery time and refunded me the $13. And they are one of the only ones I know that still have the fixed wooden stock VEPR-12 available, for those that want to swap stocks.

Edited by athens_murder

I haven't been able to get out to the range yet, but I worked on some handling drills and tried to get used to it.

I HATE IT.

I have smaller hands and unless I really stretch, I cannot get enough pressure to fully release the mag catch.

I will just stick to what I know well, the good ol' faithful tab release.

Thank you Mullet Man, I will PM you.

7.62m43 If you want my extended release, its yours.

And I will be contacting you Dres. Thanks for offering help. Unfortunately I do not have the tools or workspace, even for just punching a pin.

Oh, and the vendor I bought from is Arms of America. Excellent customer service; they even changed the shipping to a cheaper one with similar delivery time and refunded me the $13. And they are one of the only ones I know that still have the fixed wooden stock VEPR-12 available, for those that want to swap stocks.

Thank you! But in all fairness, Mullet Man kind of called it first, but if he doesn't want it, I will GLADLY take it! Send me a PM if he declines, and I will give you my address...

Since this mag catch has a spring that contacts the magwell, does it also have the normal spring at the pivot point?

I wondered that too. If not, the install should be very simple in comparision.

I can't see a different magwell being molded just for this type of safety. The pictures don't show what it looks like, but I can almost guarantee the extended safety has the same type of "ears" with a space between them for a spring that the standard safety uses. One quick look would answer this question...

Tac47 had fixed stocks as well, but this is interesting. 

I have to assume it's a mistake though, in other words one slipped in the shipment with this style mag release. If A of A had a bunch of these I'd buy one. 

...but not fixed stocks for $999...with original accessories secret_smile.gif

You should google their website and give them a call. Actually I may do it tmrw if I remember

Since this mag catch has a spring that contacts the magwell, does it also have the normal spring at the pivot point?

I wondered that too. If not, the install should be very simple in comparision.

I can't see a different magwell being molded just for this type of safety. The pictures don't show what it looks like, but I can almost guarantee the extended safety has the same type of "ears" with a space between them for a spring that the standard safety uses. One quick look would answer this question...

If the pictures don't show it, I'm not sure I know what you are talking about. Maybe it is because I don't know quite how the "normal" mag release looks on the VEPR. If someone could snap a quick photo, I'd appreciate it