I was perusing the interwebs and stumbled on this, wanted to see what yall thought. Personally id rather it have a standard rear sight block and be able to accept a tws rail instead of the picatinny rail there where it is.. and i did read its a century home build... so theres that... lol. Anyhow i just wanted to see what your guys thoughts on this upcoming option was for an ak pistol.

post-46523-0-47773200-1389487196.jpg

• Like 1

I love the look of the baby AK's. How practical they are is debatable.

I came very close to buying a Draco as my first AK. They were sold out so I bought a Saiga and then another Saiga, and then my first AK kit to build.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/91801-my-bulgy-build-finally-finished/?p=947284

I think the best sight for that pistol is a micro-dot so the existing scope rail (over the mag) is probably a good option, when it comes to balance.

With an AK that short, sights are almost a mute point.

Edited by Sim_Player

I think a small lightweight ak pistol would make for a good truck gun as long as it had a red dot and a sling to stabilize it. Maybe down the road they'll make one with a side scope mount, thatd be awesome. And ditch that style handguard it does look silly lol.

One of the problems with short AKs is knowing where your forward hand is and not having it slip off and getting shot off.

That forward grip makes sense, to me. It looks strange but, not bad.

Edited by Sim_Player
  • Like 2

One of the problems with short AKs is knowing where your forward hand is and not having it slip off and getting shot off.

That forward grip makes sense, to me. It looks strange but, not bad.

No chit, looks get way too much attention, function is everything.

I think a small lightweight ak pistol would make for a good truck gun as long as it had a red dot and a sling to stabilize it. Maybe down the road they'll make one with a side scope mount, thatd be awesome. And ditch that style handguard it does look silly lol.

Don't think a 6lb pistol could ever be called lightweight.

Don't think a 6lb pistol could ever be called lightweight.

Lets face it, its lighter than a 16in rifle and since its "technically" a pistol you can keep it loaded in your truck. Or its an easy path to sbr like you did.

Dig the milled receiver and hand guard.  The stamped Micro Draco doesn't seem to come with a hand guard but does have a rear sight on dust cover.  The prices I saw on GB was outrageous.

Couple pics from google to show size references.
3D_s_zps61ea3ba0.jpg
MD_M92_zps8d88eff8.jpg

Edited by NM0

GUYS,

BETWEEN MYSELF AND A FRIEND, WE HAVE 4 OF THESE LI'L BEASTS.

ALL HAVE PARABELLUM ARMAMENT TOP COVERS AND 3 HAVE BURRIS FF III'S AND ONE A SPARC, ALL IX'S.

HOGUE GRIPS ON ALL.

ARMAGEDDON GEAR BUNGEE SLINGS ON ALL

GREEN LASERS.

20RND HUNGARIAN TANKER MAGS.

STRIKE INDUSTRIES COBRA FORE GRIP.

THE BELOW TARGET WAS SHOT AT 100YDS, USING A FRONT AND REAR SANDBAG REST, IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE BUNGEE SLING, AND THE 1X SPARC.

AMMO WAS BARNAUL POLY FMJ, CONCETRICITY CHECKED AT .004-.0045 RUNOUT.

WIND WAS 20-25KTS, FISHTAILING FROM 4 TO 6 O'CLOCK, CAUSING, IMHO, THE GROUP TO BE SPREAD WIDER THAN HIGH (MIS-MEASURED THE FIRST TIME, THE GROUP IS 4 13/16" WIDE).

THE SHOT IN THE 8-RING AT 5:30 IS A DOUBLE.

"TACTICOOL", PERHAPS, BUT STEP OUT THERE A COUPLE HUNDRED YARDS, AND LET ME SNUG INTO THAT BUNGEE SLING AND WE'LL TEST OUT THAT THEORYlaugh.png .

JUST MY 2c.gif 

JESS1344                                    

post-45478-0-36821600-1389669909_thumb.jpg

post-45478-0-47568900-1389670217_thumb.jpg

post-45478-0-78553800-1389670311_thumb.jpg

post-45478-0-18285900-1389670433_thumb.jpg

GUYS,

HERE'S A BETTER PICTURE OF THE STRIKE INDUSTRIES COBRA FORE GRIP.

I WOULD HAVE INCLUDED IT IN THE PICS ABOVE, BUT IT WAS TOO PIXIE-HEAVY AND PUSHED IT OVER THE 2MB LIMIT, AT 1.97MB

JESS1344

post-45478-0-16047400-1389673003_thumb.jpg

Edited by JESS1344
  • 4 weeks later...

GUYS,

NOT MINE, BUT A BUD'S; HE DROPPED IT OFF FOR ME TO ACCESSORIZE, AS WITH OUR FULL SIZE C-39 PISTOLS.

TWO NOTABLE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THIS AND OUR FULL SIZE C-39 PISTOLS:

1. BARREL QUALITY: THE FULL SIZE C-39 PISTOLS, ALL 4 OF THEM, HAD THE MOST HORRENDOUS BORE CONDITION I'VE EVER SEEN ON A "NEW" BARREL.

UNDER CLOSE INSPECTION VIA A BORE SCOPE, THE BARRELS LOOKED LIKE THEY'D BEEN DEEP DRILLED BY A KHYBER PASS MUD HUT GUNSMITH, USING MEDIUM GRIT SAND AS A LUBRICANT FOR THE DRILL.

IT WAS THEN TURNED OVER TO AN APPRENTICE WHO USED A DULL CHISEL TO CUT THE GROOVES IN THE BARREL.

IT TOOK ME, LITERALLY, 1000 STROKES WITH A 6.5mm BORE BRUSH, WRAPPED WITH A DUPONT REEMAY SYNTHETIC PATCH IMBEDDED WITH JB'S NON-IMBEDDING BORE PASTE TO GET MOST OF THE MILL MARKS BURNISHED DOWN.

PREVIOUSLY TO THAT, 10 STROKES THROUGH THE BORE WITH A PRO-SHOT PATCH AND SWEETS 7.62 WOULD TEAR THE PATCH APART, LEAVING TUFTS OF THE PATCH STREWN THROUGHOUT THE BORE, WHEREVER IT WOULD CATCH ON THE MANY BURRS.

THE BURNISHING PROCESS ALSO CUT GROUP SIZE BY ABOUT HALF, AS WELL AS CAUSING A CHANGE IN POINT-OF-IMPACT OF ABOUT 1 1/2 FEET AT 100 YARDS, INDICATING  A HIGHER VELOCITY, AND THEREFORE SHORTER "BARREL TIME".

2. THE MAGAZINE CATCH: ALL 4 MAG CATCHES ON THE FULL SIZE C-39 PISTOLS HAD TO BE REPLACED. THEY WERE SPEC'D TO WORK WITH THE SLIGHTLY FATTER PLASTIC TAPCO'S, BUT WHEN ANY STEEL MAGS WERE USED; CHINESE, RUSSIAN, OR THE HUNGARIAN 20'S, THE TOO SHORT MAG CATCHES PERMITTED THE MAGAZINES TO DROP DOWN SO LOW, THAT IT WAS CAUSING BOLT-OVER-BASE STOPPAGES.

ONE OF THE FIRST THINGS I DID WITH THE MICRO, WAS TO GET OUT ONE OF THE TAPCO'S THAT CAME WITH THE FULL-SIZE C-39'S TO CHECK THE FIT, AND THOUGH IT CAME VERY CLOSE, IT WOULDN'T LOCK-IN.

I THEN GOT OUT ONE OF THE HUNGARIAN 20'S, AND IT LOCKED-IN PERFECTLY, WITH JUST A FEW THOUSANDTHS OF UP/DOWN AT THE MAG CATCH. THE TWO SUPPLIED PLASTIC TAPCO'S, A 30 AND A 10 RND'R ALSO LOCKED-IN PERFECTLY.

WHILE AT THE NRA SHOW IN HOUSTON LAST YEAR, I MADE A POINT OF VISITING THE CENTURY ARMS BOOTH AND MAKING SURE THAT THE CENTURY PEOPLE GOT AN EAR FULL ON THE TWO ABOVE REFERENCED PROBLEMS.

PERHAPS THEY TOOK WHAT I, AND I WOULD IMAGINE, A MULTITUDE OF OTHERS OBSERVATIONS ON THE BORE CONDITION AND THE MAG CATCHES TO HEART, AS BOTH HAVE BEEN FIXED ON THE MICROS; A VERY NICE MACHINE MARK FREE BORE, AND MAG CATCHES THAT WORK WITH STEEL MAGS.

FOR THOSE LOOKING TO REPLACE THAT WOODEN FOREND, BE ADVISED, IT'S HELD ON BY A RIVET, NOT A SCREW.

THE USE OF THE WRIST BRACE WILL NECESSITATE THE REMOVAL OF THE SLING SWIVEL THATS AFFIXED TO THE REAR TRUNNION, WHICH WILL PROBABLY BE REPLACED BY ONE OF THE ECHO93 SLING PLATES.

THE STACK-UP OF THE THICKNESS OF THE WRIST BRACE SUPPORT AND THE SLING PLATE MAY CALL FOR A LONGER GRIP SCREW; THE STOCK GRIP WILL BE LEAVING IN FAVOR OF A HOGUE UNIT ANYWAY.

JESS1344

post-45478-0-63662800-1391963685_thumb.jpg

post-45478-0-73295600-1391963817_thumb.jpg

post-45478-0-46122800-1391963756_thumb.jpg

Edited by JESS1344
  • Like 1

LUPIN8OR,

THANKS!

MAKES ONE WONDER IF THERE WASN'T SOME ATF-GOATFUCKERY GOING ON WITH THAT RIVET.

MAYBE TO MAKE IT MORE DIFFICULT TO PUT ON A RAILED FOREND WHICH WOULD HOLD ALL KINDS OF 'EVIL" ACCESSORIES LIKE AFG'S, LIGHTS, LASERS, SLING SWIVEL, ETC.

JUS' SAYIN'.......

JESS1344

I would say that you are probably right about that rivet jess, why in the hell else would they make a handguard so difficult to remove? Also makes me wonder about the efficacy of replacing said rivet with a screw if one were to fabricate their own handguard...just thinkin out loud here Lol.

Think the first few runs that arrived were an issue. 

When doing research before buying ours I read reports of the hand guard screw and threads being stripped.  Saw articles of people pulling the FSB and rethreaded one size up.  There were even a few that made some kind of clamp so the hand guard wouldn't fly off during operation. 

Midwest Industries was coming out with a railed hand guard and I planned on adding a red dot so wasn't concerned if I received a stripped screw/threads pistol.  Mine was a stripped one.  Looked as if someone with an impact driver started the screw crooked and drove it home. 

One other issue with mine I believe was because it's a hard chromed version (SN 05XX - 2011).  The dust cover was twisted significantly to the point it dragged on the bold carrier.   It was close to impossible to put it back on the pistol once removed and did cause function issues.  After running it a few times I noticed the wear marks on the carrier and bent the dust cover till it was straight, solving all reliability problems.  Never had any issue since then.  It's as if the worker polished up the hard chrome with buffer and bent the cover.  I have slight buffer burnt rivet heads that made me think that could be the cause.

All in all, fun pistol that I'm happy we picked up at a decent price.