Scopes For Dummies...or something.

After obtaining my Vepr 54r (20.5") and making a few modest mods the remaining thing to be done is to choose a scope.  My initial thoughts are I'd like to be able to reach out 2-300 yards but I'm not really sure what the capabilities and limitations of this round are.  I've spent no small amount of time reading descriptions of various optics but frankly I have little idea what I'm looking at.

I'm sure I could simply ask for recommendations, you guys would ask me a few questions and then the opinions would roll in.

But to be honest, I think I'd be selling myself short to go about it this way.

The fact is, I don't know diddly about long range shooting or scopes.  And even if I happened to get ahold of the "right" scope I probably wouldn't be able to make use if it's potential.

So in keeping with the philosophy of teaching me to fish rather than feeding me, I'd like to ask, where might I find a resource be it a book, a website or whatever that might allow me to educate myself?

I want to understand the concepts and theory behind this....and in the end I think I will be a much more effective long(er) range shooter.

And by the way, I have looked for what I'm asking guidance about but have only found bits and pieces.

Edited by Squishy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62%C3%9754mmR

Depending on what round you use, most are good out the 300 m (328 yd).

To be honest you can spend a butt load on a scope, or buy a cheap scope like I did.

I have a Barska scope on my Saiga 308, works well for me.

Barska scopes are OK for a start, ya get to spend less than 200 dollars to see if you are any good.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/5634911552439425039?q=Barska+scope&client=firefox&hs=byY&rls=com.yahoo:en-US:official&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.59026428,d.b2I,pv.xjs.s.en_US.xtTzElM-kBg.O&biw=1152&bih=736&tch=1&ech=1&psi=hVDTUtT3FOf-2QXX34GABw.1389580422903.3&ei=9lDTUojJBMiIyAHGloDIDw&ved=0CP0GEKYrMBM

Join dvor dot com, search for Barska

3x9x40

3x9  variable magnification power(if only 1 number, is not variable)

40 in the size on the lens on the far end of the scope.

The last number has a lot to do with field of view.

Edited by RED333

I'm at the same point you are, Squishy. I don't have much experience with scopes or long-range shooting. I would like to know more too.

54r has a lot of power behind it so your desire to reach farther out makes good sense.

I always thought my .308 CETME, with iron sights only, seemed neutered.

This guy put together a three part article about practical long range shooting. Part 2 is on optics and does a pretty good job answering the basics.

http://demigodllc.com/articles/practical-long-range-rifle-shooting-equipment/

That being said, what you are talking about at 2~300 yard targets this may not be what your looking for but it's still a good read.

I have no experience with 54r or VEPR riffles but from what I understand its pretty much a balistic twin to .308

My 308 gas gun on AR platform is very capable of ringing the bell at 1000 yards. My 308 yugo M77/M90, not so much.

BDC ( bullet drop compensation ) doesn't really come into play out to 200 Yds. So a standard fixed BDC ( as opposed to adjustable turrets ) scope should do what you want out to 4 or 500.

Nikon is probably the best value going right now.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm on a mission to educate myself about all of this and I'll share what I learn.

How goes the education? Any new developments ?

Actually I've watched a few episodes of Modern Sniper on Netflix and picked up some bits and pieces...A better understanding of the overall concepts behind long range shooting I'd say.

And no flys to speak of to snipe at....Palmetto Bugs, another matter.

Edited by Squishy