He shouldnt have had any guilt. He had no control over what somebody else done with the weapon he designed. He could easily blame the governments of nations that smuggled guns into shitholes around the world. I think it comes with the territory when somebody designs something as prolific and widespread as the AK. Eventually its going to fall into the wrong hands. As long as there is corruption within mankind, weapons will fall into the hands of those they shouldnt. No way around that.

• Like 5

He shouldnt have had any guilt. He had no control over what somebody else done with the weapon he designed. He could easily blame the governments of nations that smuggled guns into shitholes around the world. I think it comes with the territory when somebody designs something as prolific and widespread as the AK. Eventually its going to fall into the wrong hands. As long as there is corruption within mankind, weapons will fall into the hands of those they shouldnt. No way around that.

+1

I don't think you can even compare Ford to this man. The weapon he designed and built was for one reason. To protect his country. A very noble cause being an American or a commie. Henry Ford was for Henry Ford. His gifts to society were mostly for personal gain. He did not produce the model T so poor American's could have a car he did it so he could SELL his car to the masses. He worked people in his factories long hours for short pay and put them up in his houses under his scrutiny. Mr.  Kalashnikov made no money for his design. He obtained prestige and honor. For a man devoted to a cause, would be enough. BTW DogMan not a poke at your post. Just a little editorial.

Edited by whitetrashrn

Mr. Kalashnikov had nothing to feel bad about.  His invention helped prevent war and death, not caused it.  What individuals or other world governments chose to do with his invention is and was beyond his control.  I doubt the Wright brothers felt remorse when their idea was used to deliver death from above.  I tell everyone who asks me about the man and his gun, that he created a device that kept Russia from ever having to endure another Napoleon or Hitler again.  It is a symbol of freedom.

He had no blood on his hands.

Politicians killed those people, they are the ones that gave weapons to unstable areas. Who supplied weapons to nations in hopes of expanding their control.

Politicians are the ones that cause war and death. Could any of you give the order to fire bomb civilians? Because Politicians have no problem doing it.

Give weapons to civilians and they will generate between 2 and 4 murders per 100,000... GIve the same weapons to government and they will generate 200 to 40,000 deaths per 100,000.

• Like 2

I've got it!!!

The proper wording and thought that I've tried to find all this time.

That fact that he questioned his guilt, tells me he personally did not deserve to feel guilty?

Does that make sense?

Makes me feel like he truly just intended to protect his homeland and that was all that was on his mind, protection not destruction. Lots of people's work has been turned bad.

Fords design was meant for mobility the deaths caused were an unplanned side affect.

The AK was designed hands down for protection, but death was not a side effect, it was an essential part of the design.

Big difference though, but it wasn't designed for what it has been used for by others. It wasn't designed to be put in the hands of terrorists.

He should have no more guilt than Henry Ford, who would theoretically have "killed" many more people.

For those who missed it, what I'm saying is that neither Ford nor Kalashnikov should have had any guilt whatsoever.

• Like 4

Fake letter?  Who would gain?  Who would lose?  Did he hand write that supposed letter in his own hand and signed his own name to it?  My feeling here is that we will eventually learn that the letter was fake.  My read only.  Why would he suddenly change his mind?  Was he that religious?  Lots of stuff does not add up here.  HB of CJ (old coot)

• Like 1

There are no good commies.

Either a man believes in the rights of individuals or the supremacy of the state, that latter has a lot of blood on it's hands no matter what part is played.

I would tell him to look to his work as his accomplishment and his politics as a blood stain on his character.

• Like 1

arent most russians aetheists? or religon was squashed alot during early commie reign i am pretty sure. maybe later on they allowed excercise of religion cause they couldnt stop it.  isnt that where roman catholics come from? if ya cant beat em join em?

also, after reading c.j. chivers book, we are lead to believe that it wasnt all K. makin the gun. so if it wasnt just him why would he need to take full responsibility for it? seems like the rooskies are playin their man to the end. 

I believe he is russian orthodox if I remember correctly, I had read somewhere he had talked to some members of the clergy about this and how they felt about it, of course you know it was to protect the motherland so no fault there right, anyway maybe even atheists need religion for answers even if it has jack to do with the bible.

Allthough I did hear he may be back in about thirty years, apparently the russian military intends to dig him up throw some oil on him and put him back to work, there just giving him a vacation.

I also heard he did not patent his design and as such made nothing off the weapons themselves, seriously even as cheap as ak's are to make, 100+ million at 1% royalty would be bank in russia.

Edited by dashowdy

arent most russians aetheists? or religon was squashed alot during early commie reign i am pretty sure. maybe later on they allowed excercise of religion cause they couldnt stop it.  isnt that where roman catholics come from? if ya cant beat em join em?

also, after reading c.j. chivers book, we are lead to believe that it wasnt all K. makin the gun. so if it wasnt just him why would he need to take full responsibility for it? seems like the rooskies are playin their man to the end. 

Russians are generally very religious (compared with here).. The Communist party did make large efforts to remove religion. They mostly gave up on that during WWII, hard to sell people on suicide charges without some sort of afterlife.

The Russian Orthodox Church is the primary religion there. They sided with the state and received protection. It was pretty much the only allowed religion for several decades.

The Roman Catholic Church is based in Rome (Now Italy).

Not at fault for what others did with the invention! Sure it had a singular purpose(Kill) but that can be good or bad depending on the mind behind the firearm!

I look at is the firearm is only a tool...my mind is the weapon!

On a side not the Ford reference was not really correct(or at least comparable)...Mr. Ford DID provide an affordable way to get cars to the masses! It may have made him money(can't deny that), but his idea was to make it available to the masses, not just the rich!