Ronin38

Top Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:13 AM

This is pretty cool! errr... hot!  :D

http://www.biolitest...rview/features/

Ultra-portable, wood-burning camp stove with an electric generator and usb charging port. Who'd a thunk it?  :huh:

• siminov likes this
"I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, 'wouldn't it be much worse if life *were* fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them?' So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."  -Marcus Cole

#2 BpS12

BpS12

Citizen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:06 AM

Definitely something to add to the list. Would be better than a case of gel fuel cans.
"Faith is OF the Individual, Religion is FOR the Community. Unfortunately, Religion OFTEN tramples over Faith."
"Ignorance is simply not knowing. Stupidity is knowing and choosing not to act accordingly."
"Look back ONLY to learn, NEVER to regret."
"From his weapons away, No one should ever stir one step upon the field. For no one knows, when need might have, of a sudden, a man of his weapon." Odin from the Havamal

#3 Mullet Man

Mullet Man

Top Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:40 AM

That's slick.

Are you a resident of Illinois? Join www.Illinoiscarry.com

Items for sale...http://forum.saiga-1...-vepr12-and-ak/

#4 DogMan

DogMan

Top Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,530 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 04:58 AM

It's interesting but doesn't look like something that will do either job particularly well. I don't want to keep feeding in little twigs until I'm through cooking, and how long do you have to keep that fire going to charge a cell phone? Personally I like the little fuel canisters and I don't use a cell phone much when I'm camping.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.    - Mark Twain

#5 patriot

patriot

Pro Patria Vigilans. Verbum Vincet

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,419 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:14 AM

It's a container with a Peliter chip riveted to the side and a USB chip wired to the Peltier. Nice, but not worth over $100. 

Fighting for your rights whether you deserve them or not. Pro Patria Vigilans
"The strength of the Constitution lies entirely in the determination of each citizen to defend it. Only if every single citizen feels duty bound to do his share in this defense are constitutional rights secure." Albert Einstein ...remember the Four BoxesJames 1:25
Tromix.....The best Saiga 12 you could buy. 

#6 Ronin38

Ronin38

Top Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:20 AM

Yeah, I found it on Amazon... $145!? :eek:
"I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, 'wouldn't it be much worse if life *were* fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them?' So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."  -Marcus Cole

#7 Sim_Player

Sim_Player

Top Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:56 PM

Let all the suckers buy them at that price. Competitors will start making similar devices at more affordable prices.

I like the concept and I like the idea of burning wood instead of stored fuel.

Little forced-air units like this are, reportedly, really efficient. A handful of hardwood sticks could cook a meal.

#8 GunFun

GunFun

Apparently, guy who has made way too many posts.

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,339 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:12 AM

I like the idea of a kelly kettle. Someone needs to combine the two ideas.

• BpS12, siminov and Ronin38 like this

#9 DogMan

DogMan

Top Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,530 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:32 AM

It seems to work better than I expected and this is going to be useful to some people. But to me it still can't match the ultra convenience of a fuel canister stove. I like to have a stove that is going to work with minimal fuss on a cold morning just inside the door of my tent with no smoke and a very controllable flame.. The USB port just seems strange, but could be useful in an emergency I guess. I wouldn't mind having a lower cost version as more of a survival tool than a camping stove.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.    - Mark Twain

#10 Sim_Player

Sim_Player

Top Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:33 PM

The reviews from backpackers say it's a bit of a novelty item and that you have to run it really hot to use the USB charger.
  • DogMan likes this

#11 YARP

YARP

Citizen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:49 AM

Good product, charges a Garmin GPS which is why I have my eye on it. There are similar products out that are smaller and lighter, but they don't have the blower or a way to contain the fire (important if you want to leave zero footprint). After a minute or two of the blower being on the fire burns very clean (no smoke). Overall heavy but worth it if that's what you need, the fan helps keep the peltier junction running cooler on one side then other product and really helps warm up smaller spaces. The other thing I noticed is how well a Kleen Kanteen fits over the top of it, making it perfect for boiling water!

If you would rather use a canned fuel but still want this option, check out these folks!
http://www.thepowerpot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users