To magwell or not

Hey everyone. This is my 1st post in this forum. I just bought a new Saiga 12 that was converted by North sound armory,love the gun,shoots great. My question is,what does everyone think of installing a magwell,is it worth it. I have a few ARs and never have a problem putting a mag on,the little bit I've shot the Saiga I've had to mess around getting the mag in,I know it will get easier,but wanted to ask on here about installing a magwell. I've looked with the search option but didn't find any info there. Tia.

****Que response from that guy who posts videos of his LRBHO setup where he uses a drum with a magwell but provides no details on either****

That would be Steve Grima of the UK.  He has several homebrew items that are enviable.  I respect the man and his outlook on sharing ideas.  His videos betray many secrets, if you watch closely and think creatively about the parts.  If you are blessed to be talented the way he is, the prospect of making those things is not difficult but a fun puzzle.

I came close to trying to develop both of those myself (LRBHO and magwell drum), but I have been beaten to the punch by well established people in the industry.  As I understand it, there are very talented individuals working on a drop-in last round bolt hold open, a universal magwell extension that accepts any rock-n-lock mag (including drums) with straight insertion, and a tower adapter for drums to be used in a traditional mag well extension.  These people have all made it clear that they fully intend to bring these products to market as soon as possible and are fine tuning working prototypes of each.  I can't wait!

cool.png

Edited by Nephilim7
  • Like 1

Yeah I was more or less just poking some fun.  And yes it is Mr. Grima that I was referring to.  I too respect what he does and if he does not want to share, I respect that too.  I do like examining his videos and have picked up on a few things but not enough to try either myself.  I also think where ever it is he shoots looks beautiful with the stone walls/fences.

I can tell you this though, once I perfect my S12 to spontaneously produce $100 bills, I am going to post videos of it happening and not tell any of you how I did it!!!  haha.gif

And yep there are a few well established people in the industry working on both of these things so that is wonderful.

Anyhow back to what the OP is asking, repetition/practicing loading your S12 without a magwell will eventually have you loading/unloading it without even thinking about it.  But if you really want to use a magwell by all means have at it.  Some people go to them and never look back.  Those who have them (or both) might want to chime in here. 

Edited by burntpowder

I can tell you this though, once I perfect my S12 to spontaneously produce $100 bills, I am going to post videos of it happening and not tell any of you how I did it!!!  haha.gif

I've only seen S12s spontaneously consume $100 bills, which they do with ease. 

• Like 2

I've only seen S12s spontaneously consume $100 bills, which they do with ease. 

ya mine S12s spontaneously consumed  at very least  20/ $100 bills and is still  not full......haha.gif

Back in the day there was tube fed rifles (Winchester)

Then Bolt action 5 / 10rd fixed mag rifles (K98,SMLE)

Semi Auto, Rock & lock (FN FAL, BAR, AK)

Now, all modern weapons have a magwell (M16, Aug, on & on)

So why should the shotgun stay in the middle ages?

I have shown you the Saiga can have a LRBHO & Drums can be converted to run with "MAGWELL" shotguns.

By the way, I have made 2 x double stack mags. Both didn't work well. So don't hold your breath.  

Magwell YES.

Edited by Grima
  • Like 1

Also yes to magwell, but right now it's a tough call to say which one. I'm very happy with the gen 3 JTE magwell. I suspect things will migrate to the o30 /V12 pattern though. Maybe Jack should alter his dimensions to work with those. That would reslve the issue. Also, he's been working intermittently on getting that double latch to market, but was sick for most of the last year. It seems like precision bolt guns have most of his attention right now. I expect it to make it to market eventually, but who knows when.

Ditto for the MD doublestack mags. They'll come eventually unless he goes out of business. He seems to be making money selling the drums, and grips, etc. so I think he will stay in business.

The double latch magwell might not be quite as fast, but I think it would be very forgiving to mistakes. Just shove in the general direction and jiggle. Drum, doublestack, steel mag, factory 8... Whatever you have ought to work.

I have shown you the Saiga can have a LRBHO & Drums can be converted to run with "MAGWELL" shotguns.

By the way, I have made 2 x double stack mags. Both didn't work well. So don't hold your breath.  

Magwell YES.

The LRBHO is some linkage that is tripped by the follower, and there are many ways that can be rigged up.  Not to detract from people who have done that, but to sell it as a product, it would have to work all the time every time, and work with different mags, drums and magwells.

The videos are cool, but so are the ones of people making half-court basketball shots blindfolded.

• Like 1

Magwell YES.

The LRBHO is some linkage that is tripped by the follower, and there are many ways that can be rigged up.  Not to detract from people who have done that, but to sell it as a product, it would have to work all the time every time, and work with different mags, drums and magwells.

The videos are cool, but so are the ones of people making half-court basketball shots blindfolded.

Blindfold yourself, try loading a full rock & lock mag. Then try a magwell.

Easy answer  "MAGWELL"

The question is whose magwell? There is a few types around :-

JT at least 3 types 

R+R

Tac47

SGM

Russian

I went with the Russian because that's what the mags are made for & they will be around a lot longer than us.

Any mag can be altered to fit the Russian magwell. I should now because that's what I did when I fitted the magwell. 

The only down side was no drums. So I made two different makes of drum fit the magwell. 

The Russian factory LRBHO doesn't work all the time.

There are loads of vids on Utube  of Saiga & Vepr shotguns (it works then it doesn't then it does??) 

As for my poor half ass attempt, it has only worked every time for the last 3 or 4 years. 

Sorry It only works with SGM, AGP, PROMAG, Russian Factory Mags . Magwells MD drums, MaxRound drums

I really must try harder,  

Steve............

• Like 1

I'm leaning toward the JT Engineering "rock n lock". I like the way it gives some aid in getting the mag lined up while still leaving the door open as far as mags. Gonna have Jack install one while my S 12 is visiting him for a couple of weeks for his "reliability" massage.

Edited by Inspector 12
  • Like 1

Working on one that will be drum compatible without modding the drum nor mags, for my bullpup. Also a pump style charging system that would make the LRBHO unnecessary.

Go for the magwell but get/build one that covers what you use. Now and in the future.

I'm partial to Rock and Lock, It's some how more my style. I think people try to ARize their AK and that's just not for me. Of course we are all free to do as each of us want. I do had a JT Magazine Well on one of my S-12s, I prefer the rock and lock shotgun.

Definitely magwell if you compete.
I use original russian model magwell and russian mags. They work 100%.
If you want use drum, you can use Maxrounds magwell model.

If you shoot only for fun, then you can choice normal rock & lock system and use what drum you want.