.308 Questions

Now that the Saigas are close to being available, I have a couple questions regarding the .308 Saiga:

Is there much difference in the accuracy of a 16" barrel, compared to a 21" barrel? I don't hunt, just want a "reach out and touch someone" rifle. I will probably add a 4x or 6x scope.

Does a standard AK stamped receiver butt stock and pistol grip work, once converted?

Thank you.

In all the time i have been here and with all the hype about the difference... I would have to say... in my opinion...

*NO* there is almost NO DIFFERENCE

whatever differences you will see are going to be either negligible, or not truly field testable. ( maybe lab testable, at an indoor lab/range, but nothing you will be able to notice in the field.

I have a long one, with wood... it shoots very nice.

Using the iron sights, I would take it up against any critter from a chipmunk to a bear at 50M without even thinking.... at 100M... well, I would certainly be confident that any small woodchuck or larger critter is going to get a thumping...

If that isnt accurate enough for you... this rifle may not be for you, then...

There is some tweaks with the FCG that may need to be addressed, but it should take all the standard furniture once converted...

so that shoudlnt be much of an issue...

Other than that... its a great rifle in every respect.

I love mine... wouldnt trade it for anything.

well, ok, maybe I would... ( ponders... yacht... learjet.... mansion in morocco... LOL)

Seriously... they are great!!

:smoke:

I wouldn't expect a significant accuracy difference. In some cases, shorter barrels of the same profile (sporter style) are more accurate. You should expect something like a 200-250fps velocity loss with the 16 vs the 22", a moderately significant difference in energy and possibly degraded hard barrier penetration if that's your thing. Don

There might be a little difference in practical accuracy between the two with the iron sights. The longer sight radious might make a difference. With a scope you wont notice the difference. My 308-1 short barrel shoots match reloads into almost the same hole at 50 yards with the iron sights. Havent tested it with a scope yet. The short barrel is a lot handier if you have to carry it very far.

Ok most of the guys who have both the saiga in 308 with the 16" and 22" barrels say the accuracy at 100yds is exactly the same. There is one guy with his 16" barrel/308 hitting gongs at 400yds+. With this kind of accuracy out of the 16" barrel i would think the 22" in longer distance shots would be even better we might be talking 600yds out of it who knows maybe farther? We maybe on the verge of something great happening here with the saiga's accuracy. Sorry i don't have that kind of distance to shoot and test my 22" saiga to compare them maybe some here will? I would like to see the distance out to 1,000yds if it passes the 600yd test for accuracy. It's all in the length and quality of the barrels. The russians do have one up on us with manufacturing chrome lined barrels they have done it the longest and have the most experience at it.

The 16" saiga in 308 is awesome and i think it will fill anyones needs. I like the 16" barrel its little like an sks but it shoots 308. I have the 22" too but i never shot it yet I have been too busy hammering the 16"/308 trying to find flaws and problems with it but nothing yet the gun is perfect.

Edited by Unknown Poster

It's all about finding the right ammo. Indian surplus = crap. Portugese = good. Aussie = best. Haven't tried Lake City or Hirtenberger, last I saw any of either they were way too expensive.

Handloads with standard M14 match loads work great.

I'll back this up as soon as: the paperwork for my range membership renewal gets processed, my new scope gets here, and my new scope mount gets here.

That's a lot to wait on, but still.

The last comment I wanted to make is that my 308 will usually put the first three rounds under an inch at 100 (Portugese), and start spreading from there. I'm pretty sure this is because of "shooter fatigue".