Do more mods or no?

First, you should actually convert it. Get a decent FCG and you are mostly to 922r. Then you can get some good comblock mags instead of that...promag?

Personally, I like the Saiga handguard more than the stock AK. Most space for a variety of holds, and very lightweight. Plus the price is right. The standard AK front LOOKS better, but i value function more.

I like an optic because my eyes arent great. Either a red dot on an Ultimak, or a 1-4x illuminated scope on an RSRegulate side mount.

That doesn't look "converted".

True, not a full conversion. FCG remains the same, etc. A few internals have been swapped (gas tube, etc) to keep it legit. Just wondering on appearance what opinions are.

I would suggest you read up in the 922 section before you do anything else, then I would suggest you finish restoring the rifle.

if you're happy with it, leave it be.  if you're not,  then make some more mods.

getting a consensus what you should do to your own rifle is never the way to go. do things you like for yourself, not what anybody elses' taste run.

For the most part I agree with you Matthew.  In this specific case it is an exception.

Anyone that handles any normal configured AK will prefer that to one that has one of these tapco "conversion" stocks.

Putting the pistol grip two inches further back of the receiver does not help handling of the rifle.  Unless you're Manute Bol I don't see making the rifle longer than the normal config a benefit for you.

8BB9EHV.jpg

Ordnance,

The guy in the background has a very basic converted Saiga.  Yours would be very close to his if you did the true FCG conversion.  In that config the rifle held up great.  Forget looks.  He even had a super cheap $20 tapco buttstock.  It's still going strong.

I was more than happy to do that conversion for him a few years back when he lived in Northern VA.  If anyone in the area wants similar help feel free to ping me.

if you're happy with it, leave it be.  if you're not,  then make some more mods.

getting a consensus what you should do to your own rifle is never the way to go. do things you like for yourself, not what anybody elses' taste run.

For the most part I agree with you Matthew.  In this specific case it is an exception.

Anyone that handles any normal configured AK will prefer that to one that has one of these tapco "conversion" stocks.

Putting the pistol grip two inches further back of the receiver does not help handling of the rifle.  Unless you're Manute Bol I don't see making the rifle longer than the normal config a benefit for you.

8BB9EHV.jpg

Ordnance,

The guy in the background has a very basic converted Saiga.  Yours would be very close to his if you did the true FCG conversion.  In that config the rifle held up great.  Forget looks.  He even had a super cheap $20 tapco buttstock.  It's still going strong.

I was more than happy to do that conversion for him a few years back when he lived in Northern VA.  If anyone in the area wants similar help feel free to ping me.

Okay. Am I a rarity that I am one of the few (or only) that doesn't mind the FCG where it is? Honest question. unsure.png

Edited by Ordnance

True, not a full conversion. FCG remains the same, etc. A few internals have been swapped (gas tube, etc) to keep it legit. Just wondering on appearance what opinions are.

I would suggest you read up in the 922 section before you do anything else, then I would suggest you finish restoring the rifle.

As it sits now, it is 922 compliant.

Okay. Am I a rarity that I am one of the few (or only) that doesn't mind the FCG where it is? Honest question. unsure.png

No. On this board, almost universally people say they dont mind the imported setup, maybe with a pseudo-conversion stock like you have.

Then they do the conversion, and almost universally they say that they were dumb and lazy and should have done the conversion the first day they had the rifle. Ergonomics and trigger feel are so improved its amazing, night and day.

Thats not an exaggeration, and im not being facetious. If you are here long enough (and another boat of cheap saigas comes in) you too will see this topic some up multiple times.

Edited by mostholycerebus
  • Like 4

Well thanks for the input to everyone.

Although at this point, I'm starting to regret asking the question. Might see it in the for-sale forum soon with all the goodies and ammo to go with it. I'm just not going to go the "extra mile" and modify the FCG at this point. If someone else wants to, fair enough.

As it sits now, it is 922 compliant.

The only reason I made that statement is it appears that you were implying a gas tube is a 922r part.

You should keep the rifle and finish the conversion, all the info and help you need is here.

Don't sell it on our account. If you like it, the shoot the fuck out of it and enjoy it. I have one that is not converted, and rather enjoy it. I do have a few that are converted so it's your preference. The factory setup is workable, but I think youll like it more after the conversion

Edited by Captain Hero

I'm just not going to go the "extra mile" and modify the FCG at this point.

then don't, there is no hard rule that you have to do the FCG conversion. just because some do, and are trying to convince you to do it, that isn't a reason to sell it off, 

like I stated, doing  things by consensus is never the way to go.  

I'm just not going to go the "extra mile" and modify the FCG at this point.

then don't, there is no hard rule that you have to do the FCG conversion. just because some do, and are trying to convince you to do it, that isn't a reason to sell it off, 

like I stated, doing  things by consensus is never the way to go.  

Thanks for the encouragement. It is appreciated.

And to all others, I appreciate all of your input.

I'm just banging my head against the wall on where to go with it. Personally, I don't mind the current placement of the FCG. Granted, pulling the receiver off, the wire-wrapped double-wishboned-whatever-it-is mechanism is not pretty. But for whatever reason, the trigger break on mine is crisp. Maybe I would appreciate it more with a converted FCG. Or maybe ignorance is bliss. I've owned a lot of guns, but I have never touched a true AK before I bought this Saiga. I like it a lot. Just on the fence with it. And I do not want to turn this into a political thread by any means, but that is one big reason (besides FUN) that I don't want to let go of it or too far with it either.

Ordnance,

Welcome to the site.

RE; your post and various replys.....

The gas tube is not one of the parts on these guns that counts, or matters in the 922r scheme of things. Those can be USA or Russian - doesnt matter.  Due to this post, several of us on here probably wonder if someone has given you incorrect advice or you may just not have read through enough of the literature yet. May nI suggest checking out sites such as Dinzag or CSS that have tutorials, etc.

Also, there is a Red Star Retainer Plate for the FCG so you can forget the spring if you like.

I also enjoy shooting these various Saigas in their "sporting" setup.  I think the reason for some responses is that if you generally prefer a pistol grip and obviously like the grip on your Saiga, then most of us know from experience that having the pistol grip in its "natural" position is even that much better, especially for operating an AK platform (mag release tab, charging the rifle, etc) 

Cheers

Harv

Here's my converted 7.62. Should I leave it alone or just enjoy the beast the way it is?

2013-12-10050443.jpg

Well thanks for the input to everyone.

Although at this point, I'm starting to regret asking the question. Might see it in the for-sale forum soon with all the goodies and ammo to go with it. I'm just not going to go the "extra mile" and modify the FCG at this point. If someone else wants to, fair enough.

Welcome to the site, don't lose heart when members attempt to help you understand what is involved in "converting" a Saiga legally. There is some very good information on this site and a lot of misconceptions about what can be done to a Saiga that was imported as a "sporter" rather than a true AK. There are a couple of threads with good references to what constitutes a step toward 922r compliance. The items that must be changed out to be able to use a pistol grip and higher capacitiy magazines are very specific. For instance US magazine sales literature lists the mag as 3 922r compliance pieces (which is true) but what about when the mag is removed? Does the Saiga now still have enough 922r compliant parts to be legal with the pistol grip and M4 style buttstock?? All things to consider.

I found when I converted mine that while the original trigger was crisp even with the linkage activation, the Tromix modified trigger I installed when I did the conversion is even better. Carolina Shooters Supply has a wealth of parts and video available and youtube has litterally hours of content related to home done Saiga work. While some of those videos are true yawners, there are some very good ones there as well. One series in particular is by a guy who does it all at his kitchen table to demonstrate it can be done even if your facility options to work in are limited.

As many have said, if you like the gun shoot it don't sell it. Just try to avoid getting yourself into a situation where you think you are making changes that are "legal" based on what you may have been told, only to find yourself in hot water based on the truth. Ask questions and understand some may offer opinions that challenges your thinking.

My two cents on the whole thing is... if I was planning to use a pistol grip, I'd go ahead and do the FCG conversion without question.

If I was going to leave a Saiga unconverted, I'd put the Monte Carlo stock back on there, attach a 2-point sling, get a number of 10 round magazines and call it a lightweight, fairly handy "Ranch Rifle."

... or ... to go slightly further... it could be fun to try to make a Jeff Cooper scout rifle... in fact, a Jeff Cooper scout rifle using an unconvered Saiga .308 with 5-10 rd mags is possible...

Cooper's specifications (taken from Wikipedia) for a scout (general purpose) rifle:

An unloaded weight, with accessories, of 3 kg (6.6 lbs (it'd be close)

An overall length of 1 meter (39.4 in.) or less (a 16" barrel would be around 35"-36" and it'd keep the weight down)

A forward-mounted telescopic sight of low magnification (use the side mount or get an Ultimak)

Ghost ring auxiliary iron sights (replace the rear sight with a Krebs peep sight or something similar)

A "Ching" or "CW" sling (the unconverted Saiga comes with 2 sling mounts)

A standard chambering of .308 Winchester/7.62x51mm NATO or 7mm-08 Remington (it comes in .308)

Accuracy: Should be capable of shooting into 2 minutes of angle or less (4") at 200 yards/meters (3 shot groups) (it's feasible)

Yeah, man, deff keep the thing. I wasnt trying to run you down, rather, share experiences. Alot of people are happy with the stock saiga, I even like the look more, until they try a converted one.

I woulnt feel overwhelmed. Its scary, but feels great when its done. Even the bullet guide mod, I almst crapped my pants worrying I would screw up my rifle. Afterwards, it was so easy! Why did I wait! Why was I worried! Even if you screw up, most things can be fixed easily on this platform.

Start with a few Magpul mags for 922r. Let us know how you like them, since they are new and we all want to know (selfish request, yeah). Do the FCG and stock when you get the time/money, or not, its your gun!

Personally, I like the saiga forend more and wouldnt convert that. Its nice and light and you can get your arm farther out there.

Ordnance,

Welcome to the site.

RE; your post and various replys.....

The gas tube is not one of the parts on these guns that counts, or matters in the 922r scheme of things. Those can be USA or Russian - doesnt matter.  Due to this post, several of us on here probably wonder if someone has given you incorrect advice or you may just not have read through enough of the literature yet. May nI suggest checking out sites such as Dinzag or CSS that have tutorials, etc.

Also, there is a Red Star Retainer Plate for the FCG so you can forget the spring if you like.

I also enjoy shooting these various Saigas in their "sporting" setup.  I think the reason for some responses is that if you generally prefer a pistol grip and obviously like the grip on your Saiga, then most of us know from experience that having the pistol grip in its "natural" position is even that much better, especially for operating an AK platform (mag release tab, charging the rifle, etc) 

Cheers

Harv

I just realized I misspoke in my previous post. Sometimes I type faster than I should... I replaced the gas piston with a Tapco piston (not the gas tube as previously posted). It was over a year ago (ordered it from Amazon and swapped the same day it showed up) and I had a brain-fart while typing. Sorry for the confusion.

I didn't know about the Red Star retainer plate... good info and ty!

As a few others have said, I also (mostly) like the factory Saiga forend. I would have liked it a bit taller vertically (I have big hands) but I like the length of it. Thanks to everyone else for the feedback as well!

Considering the pistol-grip and the M4-style tele-stock, I would say I am on the fence with parts, especially depending on whether the mag is in the gun or not.

Edited by Ordnance

What's that stock and grip?

Ultimate Arms Gear (UAG).

Not trying to push you one way or the other, but just out of curiosity why are you hesitant to do the conversion? 

I personally don't mind the feel of it as-is... But as others have noted, I may like the converted FCG much more. The question I have to ask myself is, "is ignorance bliss?" in this regard.

Edited by Ordnance

I personally don't mind the feel of it as-is... But as others have noted, I may like the converted FCG much more. The question I have to ask myself is, "is ignorance bliss?" in this regard.

No, it's not anything like bliss, and I don't think it's ignorance so much as laziness. Git-R-Done.

Absolutely not.... It's just intimidation. It's so easy I did several in my apartment kitchen without a vice and with basic hand tools. Even without shooting first.  Takes about an hour your first try. The chatroom here can provide live assistance and I started that way. No one here is trying to be mean about it. It's just night and day difference and you will be absolutely pleased and very proud of yourself afterwards. Be sure to thank us when you remember this day :) 

No, it's not anything like bliss, and I don't think it's ignorance so much as laziness. Git-R-Done.

I have my reasons at the moment, and laziness is definitely not one of them.

Left mine stock as it came out of the box. It's fine for my purposes and I like the sporter look. It's just a Truck gun. Took some razzing whenever I mentioned that here.

Then along came NY's S.A.F.E. Act. Had I converted it, I would have to register it. I'd rather own a gun that's not on anyone's list and not upsetting to the overly sensitive among us.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a "FNG" to the site, but not new to guns (and conversions vs. bone stock). I purchased my Saiga with the intent to use it just as it came out of the box. However, upon initially shouldering the weapon, I found the "LOP" slightly longer than I prefer on tactical platforms. As usual; one thing lead to another and - Wallah! Collapsable stock, new trigger guard, trigger group, trigger job, side-mount, and "naturally" - your typical EOTech on an AK!

Granted, I don't get 1/2 MOA performance as I do with my Wilson Combat "Recon Tactical" with ACOG (shooting Black Hills 77GR OTM) but @ 28 cents per round wolf 122gr I'm happy with just over 1 MOA @ 100m.

post-49008-0-99264400-1392667416_thumb.jpg