Hello from another newbie

Hello to all. Been lurking for a while, gathering lots of good info and just finished converting my S20. Haven't shot but about 50 rounds, mixed slugs, buck and birdshot. Gas system seems to be ok, cycled federal low brass ok but not Winchester with the stock 5 round mag on setting 2. High brass worked well on setting 1. Had major feeding issues with the plastic 10 rnd mag. Lots of FTE w that mag and several nose dives when feeding into chamber deforming the shell. Looking for any input you guys might have. Attached a pic of my 20 with partner Saiga 5.45. Thanks.post-48787-0-39788700-1389886543_thumb.jpg

My 20 needed some work before it would shoot federal bulk and eject reliably. Winchester bulk still results in FTE.

The plastic 10rd mag, would that be the one from Carolina Shooter Supply, VG Tactical? If I load mine past 5 rounds, the feed angle is too low and it will not feed. It may be possible to change the angle of the feed ramp to compensate for this, but I chose to get a different magazine that works without mods. The metal 10rd mag from Csspecs is a little more expensive, but it works. My observation is that the VG Tactical mag does not adjust for the rimmed shell. Csspecs' mag does.

Nice looking guns, and props for converting your Saiga the right way.

Thanks Tiger Fire, I think mine is a vg tactical mag, bought it a while back off eBay or gunbroker. It has the waffle pattern on the outside. I have looked at the csspecs mags and will probably order one, was just hoping to save a few bucks and get these working. What else did you have to do to yours? I have polished and mildly profiled the bolt and carrier and the top of the trigger group. Also smoothed the rails of the receiver.

Ok, just ordered the csspecs mag. I'm hoping it will work. I want to be able to depend on the s20 as my HD gun.

Just so you realize that it is a battle weapon, not a range toy. If you run good high brass buckshot and slugs through it you shouldn't have too many problems. I gave up on the idea of shooting "shit shells" through my S-20, I removed the gasblock, enlarged the ports, opened the hole in the bottom of the GB, installed a 1911 spring, and it still wont run "shit shells". It runs just fine with quality buckshot and slugs. I also purchased several CSSPECS mags for the S-20, and the S-308. I'm considering buying a polishing wheel for my bench grinder and doing some bolt and carrier polishing. Send me a PM if you're interested in having a cup of coffee one day.

Hear ya on that one AA re-cvrd. I know mine's not even close to broken in yet. Just enjoy the chase for perfection I guess. The way I see it the gun should run all types of shells, that's why it has the settings on the gas plug, right? I'll pm you soon, maybe we can meet somewhere.

I disagree .......(but then again I digress alot .....and often have bad gas)

The Saiga was built for battle - it was never meant to shoot "shit weak assed sissy shells" .

Those that can make it do so , or are blessed with one that does so out of the box -more power to them

Lwood, I polished carrier, rails, and bolt. Also profiled and polished the hammer. Opened my 3 gas ports to 0.093", and recently opened up the gas block a little to let it in. I was impatient however, and sent it off to get cerakoted before I retested it. Last time I checked, Federal bulk was 4/5 success from shoulder, 3/5 unsupported. To get it to run on 30 cents a shell would be nice, but I can live with the 40 cent Remington STS...

I had the same problem with mine. I spent close to 200 hundred dollars on various accessories, mods, and mags trying to solve the problem. I finally solved my problem by adding a fourth gas port. I had previously expanded my 3 ports to 3/32(.09) but it didn't solve the issue. So I added a 4th hole with a 5/64 drill bit and now it shoots cheap ammo. I would not suggest this method for everyone but if all else fails you may have to. I still keep buck or slugs for hd but I use the cheap stuff for weekend fun

• 2 months later...

Hey all, finally got back to my s20 today. Last time I shot it I was so disguted I just put it away for a while. Anyway thanks to all the great info on the forum I was able to get my gas block off and enlarge the ports. It was actually pretty easy, I soaked the pins in PB for awhile before starting. Followed mamassingale's pattern, 3 at 3/32 and added one at 5/64. Put in a blackjack buffer. Probably be a week or so before I shoot it but I'll let you know how it works. Thanks for the help.