Kalashnikov signs contract at SHOT 2014 to ship rifles to USA and Cana

saw this on another board.

On January 14, the administration of Kalashnikov Concern signed the agreement with the United States and Canada to deliver 200,000 AK rifles to the countries annually. According to Kalashnikov press secretary Elena Filatova, "on 14 January, in the framework Shot Show 2014, Concern Kalashnikov, which is a part of State Corporation Rosteh, and Russian Weapon Company (RWC) signed an exclusive agreement to supply the products of Izhevsk gunsmiths in the U.S. and Canada. in accordance with the terms of the agreement, RWC acquired an exclusive right to supply Baikal and Izhmash sporting and hunting weapons to the U.S. and Canada. The rifles are produced under the brand name Kalashnikov. The volume of exported weapons will range from 80 to 200 thousand pieces per year. 

Earlier, spokespeople for Kalashnikov mentioned an opportunity to deliver such volumes ot weapons to the United States and Canada. Under the contract, the concern will conduct warranty servicing to the products. 

There has also been word at Shot Show that the Zastava M91 will be imported by Century.

Essentially a PSL that isn't shoddily made in Romania?

Thats about right...  Zastava makes some quality firearms.

http://www.zastava-arms.rs/en/militaryproduct/sniper-rifle-m91

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 1

Hot water & clean as normal.

But, we would hope we'd get the chrome too.

Semiautomatic sniper rifle M91 is designed on the basis of well-known Kalashnikov system.
Basic request of police and army forces - exceptional precision at large distances - is fulfilled and confirmed in extreme environments.
Barrel is made of high quality materials and its interior is chrome plated, which provides long service life and excellent precision.
The rifle has two safety systems:

1. mechanical safety - with two positions - safe / fire

2. safety system that prevents firing before the bolt is locked

Gas flow regulator enables the use of this weapon in extreme environments and the weapon can function when it is very dirty.
The ergonomics of the stock provides safe and comfortable position of the shooter during firing.
Iron sights with tritium tubes enable aming in conditions of low visibility.
The base fixed on the left side of the receiver enables the assembly of various types of optical-electronic devices.
Flash hider, threaded to the muzzle, masks the position of the shooter during the fire.
Flash hider can be quickly and easily assembled to the rifle; it reduces the noise level by at least 12dB and gives wrong impression about the position of the source of the sound.
Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 1

My only concern would be the likelihood that the bore would not be chrome-lined. Most of us will be shooting surplus.

I love the build quality and finish of most of the AKs I have seen from the Zastava plant. I do wish they would hard chrome the inside barrel and bore however. That is really the only thing missing. I know that the lack of a chrome lined barrel, really isn't going to make a difference if care is taken in cleaning, but somehow I like the extra insurance when shooting corrosive ammo. I already think the Zastava AKs are some of the best deals out there right now. Hard chrome the barrel and bore and they'd be perfect.

Very nice. I wonder why the M92s we get, aren't.

According to Zastava they simply aren't made with chrome lined bores.

Submachine gun M92 is a light and compact automatic weapon designed on the basis of Kalashnikov principle.
It is excellently balanced and with mild recoil, it confirmed its reliability in various environments.
It is a gas operated weapon, locking system is rotating bolt.
Safety of the shooter is ensured with a safety system that prevents firing before the weapon is fully locked.
The barrel is cold forged, and this method provides its long service life.
Flash hider masks the position of the shooter.
Fire selector has three positions: single shot, burst, safe.
Handguards are made of quality beech and the stock is metal, folding.
The weapon is fed from a magazine with the capacity of 30 rounds, which is the same for all automatic weapons in cal. 7.62 x 39 mm produced in Zastava Arms.

Spacehog,

have you seen their line of bolt action Sporting Rifles?

They're really nice too, I've a buddy who has 3-4 of'em.

I have, and I really like them. In fact, there is very little that Zastava is putting out these days that I wouldn't be proud to own. They seem to have found their niche, and are on top of their game as far as quality is concerned.

The only product they make that I wouldn't want is one of their .50 cal Mauser actions. I've heard a few minor gripes about sufficient locking surface, and, being largely ignorant on the subject, would have to see a review from an expert asserting their safety before wanting to fire one.

Spent a good while talking with people about chrome lined barrels and it is not as clear cut as one might have been taught.

First off as we know chrome lining came about as a way to forestall the effects of corrosive ammo. In that it yields excellent results.

But nothing is free and chrome lining will result in a small accuracy drop off and added cost. IIRC the Stoner rifles were not chromed for a long time.

So unless you are shooting corrosive ammo AND cannot clean a weapon properly then its a very minor issue.