Found this on Amazon feedback about the BF-F8HP:

"Durability:
The little radio has proven to be quite rugged. In a wet environment, it holds up quite well. I left the window of my lory open and it rained that night. The next day I saw the radio wet. I dried the outside and expected the worse. I turned it on and it worked flawlessly. It is not advertised as water resistant, but it sure held up well to a steady light rain for about four hours. The antenna takes a hit quite often and it flexes right back. The SMA base does not even notice the hits to the antenna. I have often thought that the radio has broken after a good hit, but no. If it does break, save the remains for parts and buy another. It is not a £300 pound Kenwood. Buy two anyway."

Edit:

Had to post this one too.... lol

"This radio is amazing. It works very well. Plus, it fell out of my Arctic Cat UTV and landed in wet/watery mud. I then ran over it and squashed it down in to the mud. I thought it was a goner. I took it home and cleaned it up with alcohol and a tooth brush and it still works perfect!"

Edited by Spartacus

Don't use marine radios on land.

Radio direction finding equipment works really well.

The FCC takes that stuff seriously, they have no sense of humor, and they hand out huge fines.

Here's a hunter they snagged for using a marine radio in his vehicle.

The fine was $10,000.00.

http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/FieldNotices/2003/DOC-258045A1.html

It's really very easy to get a basic ham license for 2 meter use.

Had the FCC antennamobile drive past 5 times trying to locate my Tesla coil emissions.  Never did find me!

Really, they don't do much enforcement unless a licenced operator has a problem and calls them.

• Like 1

Yep, I'm aware of the possible legal issues on these.

IMHO, it's not going to be an issue at all if you are using it on ham bands and not goofing off.

Wait.... didn't you say you have the BF-F8HP? NOPE NEVER SAID THAT, which you would have known had you retained what you read.

Is this a "Do as I say, not as I do" thing?   smile.png No. Not at all. See Above. 

BTW... what about Ham's who build their own radios? ...they are responsible for ANY compliance issues they create.

They xmit with them and the equipment has not been FCC certified.

I do this crap FOR A LIVING.

Don't use marine radios on land.

Radio direction finding equipment works really well.

The FCC takes that stuff seriously, they have no sense of humor, and they hand out huge fines.

Here's a hunter they snagged for using a marine radio in his vehicle.

The fine was $10,000.00.

http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/FieldNotices/2003/DOC-258045A1.html

It's really very easy to get a basic ham license for 2 meter use.

Had the FCC antennamobile drive past 5 times trying to locate my Tesla coil emissions.  Never did find me!

Really, they don't do much enforcement unless a licenced operator has a problem and calls them. ...which I WILL.

Yep, I'm aware of the possible legal issues on these.

IMHO, it's not going to be an issue at all if you are using it on ham bands and not goofing off.

Wait.... didn't you say you have the BF-F8HP? NOPE NEVER SAID THAT, which you would have known had you retained what you read.

Is this a "Do as I say, not as I do" thing?   smile.png No. Not at all. See Above. 

BTW... what about Ham's who build their own radios? ...they are responsible for ANY compliance issues they create.

They xmit with them and the equipment has not been FCC certified.

I do this crap FOR A LIVING.

Ok, my mistake. I inferred that you had one based on this comment:

" the bad:

1. Awkward programming, period. I was able to get the basic stuff without even reading the manual, but it was more confusing that my old Icom 24AT was to set up. The manual is not too bad, to get the basics from, but that's about it."

So you apparently handled one, programmed one, and looked at the manual.

Please pardon my sin of assuming you have one.

>>I do this crap FOR A LIVING.

Congratulations.

I do IT computer work for a living, but I don't come down on people for having opinions on computers and for talking about them.

Try some decaf dude, seriously.     smile.png

Edited by Spartacus