ALL OPINIONS WELCOME

Who can keep up with technology these days? Not me.

Looking to get a set of two way radios. I'd like to keep it under $200.00 if possible.

Criteria,

Durable

Rechargeable

Min. Range two miles (actual not just advertised)

Expandable for future additions

Headset capable

What are you using? Or what's next on your list?

Thanks

Motorola MR350R

VERY durable. Have dropped on rocks and still undamaged.

Rechargeable with dock and charger. Can also use AA alkalines.

Range? WAY more than 2 miles...verified.

Expandable? What do you need?

Headset? Yes, but may be unneeded with the vox function.

LONG battery life. 

Weather radio built in.

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-MR350R-35-Mile-22-Channel-Two-Way/dp/B001UE6MJ8

I work on military radios for a living. These are excellent radios, and I don't work for Motorola. I work for a competitor in the military market.

I forgot to add...FCC type accepted, unlike some of the crap coming in gray market.

These won't splatter all over the spectrum when you transmit.

Edited by patriot
  • Like 1

Where do you live? if not near any large bodies of salt water or navigable rivers, you can probably get away with going from GMRS to a handheld marine VHF radio, which will give you a substantial wattage boost over the typical 2-way FRS/GMRS. you will also be unlikely to have anyone listening in. just understand that technically you need an FCC license to transmit on marine bands, but if you live inland and not near any waterways, the chances are extremely low that anyone will take notice.

we have carried both the GMRS and marine VHF radios while hunting and hiking. the marine radios have much better land penetration and max range than the GMRS radios.

• Like 1

Where do you live? if not near any large bodies of salt water or navigable rivers, you can probably get away with going from GMRS to a handheld marine VHF radio, which will give you a substantial wattage boost over the typical 2-way FRS/GMRS. you will also be unlikely to have anyone listening in. just understand that technically you need an FCC license to transmit on marine bands, but if you live inland and not near any waterways, the chances are extremely low that anyone will take notice.

we have carried both the GMRS and marine VHF radios while hunting and hiking. the marine radios have much better land penetration and max range than the GMRS radios.

I'm in the coast range about forty miles inland. However I can often see the ocean from the peaks when out in the woods. VHF would be great but I don't think I want to screw with a license. Maybe worth looking at but in the future.

Don't use marine radios on land.

Radio direction finding equipment works really well.

The FCC takes that stuff seriously, they have no sense of humor, and they hand out huge fines.

Here's a hunter they snagged for using a marine radio in his vehicle.

The fine was $10,000.00.

http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/FieldNotices/2003/DOC-258045A1.html

It's really very easy to get a basic ham license for 2 meter use.

Edited by Spartacus
  • Like 2

The FCC takes that stuff seriously, they have no sense of humor, and they hand out huge fines.

The fine was $10,000.00.

Well that sucks. Interesting that the NFA and creation of the FCC under the "Communications Act" both occurred in 1934.

• Like 1

I have the Motorola MH230R.

Rated 23 miles, I have used at 4 miles in the N CA sierras.

Saved my butt on a camping/fishing trip! I bought it specifically for this trip and at the time I had no reason to. Just on a whim, I thought it was a good idea.

My buddy and I were on the lake in the evening, about 4 miles from camp. I left one radio at camp and on and took the other with me. 30 min. before sundown the cotter pin broke on my buddy's prop causing the prop to sink to the bottom of the lake.

I used the two way to let the rest of the folks know what happened and the other boat in this trip was able to come tow us back to land and get back to camp.

Without it, it would have been a very long walk around the lake and back to camp and very cold, late, miserable night!

• Like 3

The fine was $10,000.00.

Well that sucks. Interesting that the NFA and creation of the FCC under the "Communications Act" both occurred in 1934.

Noticed that too. '34 was a tough year on the constitution. Then in ' 35 social security act. FDR was a bit short sighted or just an evil fucking communist.

Anyway $10 Gs. For using VHF on land without a license, fuck that.

That Motorola that patriot posted is looking pretty good.

Motorola is good handheld unit (Patriot mentioned), and can match to base station or vehicle unit. We use handheld hunting, working livestock and such. Can go basic with open channel, or private channel, or combo. We have base and vehicle units that are 30+ years old. They were US made though.

• Like 1

Very good,

I'm going to Check a local place for availability if nothing there I can get it online. Looks like just what I need.

By expandable I meant something that can used with a base at the house and vehicle units later on.

Thank you for the input.

Very good,

I'm going to Check a local place for availability if nothing there I can get it online. Looks like just what I need.

By expandable I meant something that can used with a base at the house and vehicle units later on.

Thank you for the input.

Knew what you meant, reason for my post, multi unit compatible

• Like 1

I actually have one of these. If you get one, the programming cable is an absolute must.  The first block of freqs I put in were all the standard 2-way freqs, followed by 911 and local storm chasers. I've got 2 local repeaters programmed in too.

I haven't hit the PTT on anything but the 2-way bands, aside from a 3 second chirp on a couple of barren frequencies to test the "close call" function on my uniden scanner (shhh...)

Edited by slippingaway

Here are some of the best HTs you'll ever see:

http://www.thalescomminc.com/Content/anprc148Bmbitr2.aspx

MBITR2_tan_tn.jpg

http://www.thalescomminc.com/Content/anprc148jtrsenhancedmbitrjem.aspx

ANPRC148_with_5.8_battery-300dpi.jpg

http://www.thalescomminc.com/content/libertylmr.aspx

Thales_Liberty_Radio.jpg

ALL of this stuff is ITAR regulated, and not for sale to individuals, but it's still VERY cool! Check out the specs!

We used MBITRs and they are the shit. Multi Band Intra Team Radio. We could talk on one freq within the team, use another for CASEVAC, and another for CAS, etc. Thing is, even if you got a hold of a couple, you need the software suite and appropriate equipment to program the unit. All modern Military comms are encrypted so it's not like your daddy's Ham. Frequencies were changed all the time for different call signs, missions, etc. for security purposes. You cannot just tune into these channels. My ultimate SHTF would be my AN PRC117F. Fit in a Camelback MULE and had not only radio but Satellite capability to reach out and we could attach a Toughbook to transmit data and photos. Very cool unless the satellites died.

• 1 year later...

I want to breathe some new life into this thread. The Baofeng UV5R has turned out to be a fantastic purchase for me.  After playing around with the software and about a year's worth of usage, I have been very happy. Here's the skinny: FM radio reception, LED flashlight (newer models have a CREE led), and you can program all the standard 2-way frequencies in with labels. Batteries are inexpensive, all sorts of good whip antennas, you can lock out PTT on channels so you don't accidentally call on a police frequency (with software).

I cannot talk this little joy of a 2-way HAM radio up any higher. It inspired me to get my HAM license. Great radio and cheap.

I will admit to bending the law a little.  You can choose output power for FRS/GMRS as 2-watt or 4-watt.  4-watt is breaking FCC bullshit laws. Technically, the 2 watt isn't, but if your radio is capable of going to 4 watt, you aren't supposed to use it.

But boy-howdy does the extra power get the distance! My radio is part of my prepping, and it can get almost all the freqs I wish for. No aviation band sad.png But programming is a breeze with CHIRP software and the USB cable. I have all the good "prepper" channels programmed, local law, road dept., schools, EMS, military bands, International Space Station. etc.

Did I mention it has a scanning mode? $35 scanner that does duplexing!!! Use the software exclude from scanning constant frequcies like NWS.

Really tempted to try their newest Baofeng model, the:

Baofeng BF-F9 V2+

Range is great. with a good antenna it walks all over the $200 - $400 radios.

Edited by slippingaway
  • Like 3

VHF is still line of sight, most of those hand helds are only really good for a couple of miles despite advertising 7 or more. And that's on flat water on a nice day. They tend to be solidly built and heavy, since most of them are going to be dropped on a deck a few times. Also at least splash proof, so that's bonus. Most people seemed to be happier with the Standard brand ones. I am several years out of date. If you are using VHF radios, most of them have a feature that causes them to default to monitoring emergency channels. This is really irritating if you actually want to communicate with them. On the handhelds you can generally find a menu setting that turns it off, but on the proper dash mount units you often have to clip a wire in the microphone that grounds to the bracket to keep it from doing that. This raises another perk of serious radios. You can have the handheld units on your people and a proper radio installed in the truck that can broadcast and receive a lot better. So if you lose people park the truck on a hill top with good line of site and you have the best chance of the radios getting through.

• Like 2

With the cell phones, this is become a lost tech. Phone systems, can and will go down. Long as have power, these work. Been teaching grand kids on how to work them. 2 of our base stations are 40+ years old. Line of sight, of course, yet can send/receive 45 miles. Use to work for a national/world company in late 80's. At night, if on open company channel, skip, could get you talking with persons thousands of miles away. In northern Wyoming, visiting with company supply tugs in gulf of Mexico.

• Like 1

We used to have a surplus Icom brand single sideband. It drew some serious amperage. If you fired that thing up all the 12v lights would dim, and that was while being fed from a parallel bank of 8 8-D batteries.

Those things were definitely potent. They would do just about any frequency, including the ham spectrum. Licensing required. We only had it for emergency stuff, but my uncle would use his to listen to radio stations from chicago or south america from northern Alaska.

• Like 1

I want to breathe some new life into this thread. The Baofeng UV5R has turned out to be a fantastic purchase for me.  After playing around with the software and about a year's worth of usage, I have been very happy. Here's the skinny: FM radio reception, LED flashlight (newer models have a CREE led), and you can program all the standard 2-way frequencies in with labels. Batteries are inexpensive, all sorts of good whip antennas, you can lock out PTT on channels so you don't accidentally call on a police frequency (with software).

I cannot talk this little joy of a 2-way HAM radio up any higher. It inspired me to get my HAM license. Great radio and cheap.

I will admit to bending the law a little.  You can choose output power for FRS/GMRS as 2-watt or 4-watt.  4-watt is breaking FCC bullshit laws. Technically, the 2 watt isn't, but if your radio is capable of going to 4 watt, you aren't supposed to use it.

But boy-howdy does the extra power get the distance! My radio is part of my prepping, and it can get almost all the freqs I wish for. No aviation band sad.png But programming is a breeze with CHIRP software and the USB cable. I have all the good "prepper" channels programmed, local law, road dept., schools, EMS, military bands, International Space Station. etc.

Did I mention it has a scanning mode? $35 scanner that does duplexing!!! Use the software exclude from scanning constant frequcies like NWS.

Really tempted to try their newest Baofeng model, the:

Baofeng BF-F9 V2+

Range is great. with a good antenna it walks all over the $200 - $400 radios.

Oh you had to get me looking at new radios!    :)

I have the UV-5R and it's a great little radio.

This one looks to be newer/better than the BF-F9 V2+.

http://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-BF-F8HP-Two-Way-136-174Mhz-400-520Mhz/dp/B00MAULSOK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449436353&sr=8-1&keywords=BaoFeng+BF-F8HP

The 8W of power will be nice!

It's a newer/better chipset in these too. More refined and less noise.

I think I'm in for one.

Get something decent if you plan on possibly trusting your LIFE to a radio.

I work on .mil radios for a living. Don't expect an FCC approved radio. These aren't legal in the USA. These cheap Chinese radios typically have crappy harmonics and intermodulation distortion as well. Build quality is crap. You get what you pay for. What is your life worth? Pick up a Motorola, Yaesu, Kenwood, Alnico, or other QUALITY product. Do a little research on eham. The link is below.

From e-ham: http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/11882

Cons:

1. cheap price brings cheap build quality, do not expect to drop it constantly or leave it out in the extreme heat/humidity/rain and expect it to work after that (if it does, probably not for long).

2. Even the upgraded 2000mAh battery is not enough to keep this radio on for more than a few hours if you transmit at 8W regularly (which is why I recommend the aftermarket 3800mAh battery).

3. Like most HTs, the 1 or 4Watt output has very limited distance unless you're out in the open or using aftermarket/external antenna.

4. Manual is useless, poorly translated "chinglish". For a much better manual, do a search online for the BF-F8HP manual (hams worked with Baofeng to produce a much better manual, sadly they only include it with that F8HP).

5. Difficult to program, especially for long time hams used to other radios programming. While others may be "frequency, tone, save", these Baofengs are "frequency, save, tone, offset, offset +/-, save" making it more difficult to manually program. Some radios have automatic offset, these do not.

the bad:

1. Awkward programming, period. I was able to get the basic stuff without even reading the manual, but it was more confusing that my old Icom 24AT was to set up. The manual is not too bad, to get the basics from, but that's about it.

2. SLOWWWW scan speed. Like 3 ch/sec. In 2014/15?

3. Weird reversed SMA connector. Why be different for different sake? As cheap as these things are, I'm tempted to swap out the SMA male for a female, so my old antennas will go right on.

4. Earbud/mike that comes in the box seems to be totally worthless, a friend said I sounded very odd with it, but the built in mike on the radio itself was ok, and sounded pretty good.

- Instruction manual lacking, e.g., no mention of how to program memory channels.

- No USA Auto Repeater Offset. E.g, turn on 600khz offset for a repeater, then QSY to 146.52 - no go to simplex automatically.

- Have to program memories, offsets, simplex, etc., via Set Menu. No shortcut keys for these.

- While the case is surprisingly well make, some things are funky, like the LED light sticking out of the top.

- Battery is partially held in place by two small tabs that engage the bottom of the battery. S/b no issue, unless you drop the radio. I wouldn't drop it.

- I wouldn't venture to use this radio in the rain.

Edited by patriot
  • Like 1

I hear you on the cheapness of these Patriot.

The thing is, I don't think you can touch any of the top brand HT radios with these features without starting at 400% of the price.

I actually do like that these radios have such a wide band coverage even if you can't xmit legally on most of the range.

Are there any top brand dual band (2m/440cm) 8W HTs for $100 or less?

Was it the Yaesu VX-7R that you could easily mod to open up a lot of bands?

I hear you on the cheapness of these Patriot.

The thing is, I don't think you can touch any of the top brand HT radios with these features without starting at 400% of the price.

I actually do like that these radios have such a wide band coverage even if you can't xmit legally on most of the range.

Are there any top brand dual band (2m/440cm) 8W HTs for $100 or less?

Was it the Yaesu VX-7R that you could easily mod to open up a lot of bands?

even if you can't xmit legally on a non-FCC approved radio in the USA. 

The radio is not FCC certified to operate on the GMRS/FRS frequencies (even though it can). It is also over the legal power limit.

The fine is ten THOUSAND dollars when caught.

Fine, go for the features, and forget about reliability or signal integrity.

Would you trust your life to a lowball pot metal pistol? It might work when you need it to save your life.....or it might not.

Edited by patriot

Yep, I'm aware of the possible legal issues on these.

IMHO, it's not going to be an issue at all if you are using it on ham bands and not goofing off.

Wait.... didn't you say you have the BF-F8HP?

Is this a "Do as I say, not as I do" thing?   smile.png

BTW... what about Ham's who build their own radios?

They xmit with them and the equipment has not been FCC certified.

Edited by Spartacus