Hey guys, I just wanted to share my new toy with y'all. I just picked this M35A2 up last week, and I made it a point to get one with a winch! I had to sell my Saiga .223 and I have my Saiga 12 on the chopping block to help pay for her (though that's still up in the air). She's a 71' with 46k original miles. She starts right up, and runs like a raped ape. There are some serious rust spots though, but fortunately they aren't on the frame and can be patched pretty easily. My plans: first kill the rust with some Ospho and naval jelly, then upgrade the turbo (put a 5 ton in), put some troop seats and a cargo cover on, paint it flat black, upgrade the headlights to LEDs or H4 Hellas, install a 12v alternator for radios etc and thats about it so far!!

photo_1_zpsdaf0fea7.jpg
photo_2_zpsea597f67.jpg
photo_3_zpsfb1d8a24.jpg

Edited by socom688
  • Like 9

Very nice! I was born in 71, don't hold that against me.

It looks like a sweet rig!

Are you wanting to keep it original (mil type) or mod it?

I'd be tempted to make it into a mobile home.

Put a cargo cover on with a small living space and all essentials.

Edited by Sim_Player

Thanks guys.

I am wanting to mod it somewhat, but I still want it to resemble something the military would use.

Mullet, I'm not a huge fan of a bobbed deuce. I know they are better from a practical standpoint (better mpg and are faster,) but I think this truck just looks fuckin' awesome as a 6x6! Plus it gives me the feeling I could crush anything on the roadbad_smile.gif
photo2_zps4a2f1fc5.jpg

• Like 2

post-3200-0-38381100-1390113148_thumb.jpgDuece on right is a 86 Air Force truck, came from Oklahoma Air base as seen, has air assist power steering. They put lock outs on steering axle and front rear, only runs off rear axle  when on pavement. M109 on left has the Goodyear G177 construction tread. Some as what cement/rock quarry trucks use. Many surplus tire dealers have new take offs due to Gov super singling. 1 size bigger 10.00 instead of 9.00. Original tubes and liners are interchangeable. So might think about when new tread is needed.

Edited by Ruffian72
  • Like 3

Ya I am planning on getting Michelin 11x20 XLs or XZLs whenever I need new ones. But due to budget constraints, and other priorities like changing burnt out bulbs, fixing gauges and the wiper motors etc etc I will just run these for a while. I'm going to try to only drive it in ideal conditions for a while.

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up on the construction tires! I'll look into that. I'm gonna go pass the hell out, I'll pick up this thread tomorrow

Mullet, I snagged it for $5,500 with a $200 worth of diesel already in it and some things already done to it. It seemed like a decent price.

Edited by socom688

Thanks for the heads up on the construction tires! I'll look into that. I'm gonna go pass the hell out, I'll pick up this thread tomorrow

Mullet, I snagged it for $5,500 with a $200 worth of diesel already in it and some things already done to it. It seemed like a decent price.

What does it have for a fuel tank. One 50-gallon tank? Two?

• Like 1

Depends were you are from, If close to major base, there are people who buy and resale, Or buy direct through Government Liquidation internet auctions, (Got paperwork and have to pick up/retrieve yourself). Ebay under Military vehicles or exact vehicle looking for Ex M35, "Steel Soldiers" forum under classifieds. Many quality units now. Military downsizing and upgrading to new style units. Last one I got had 1,000 miles and 300hrs since last rebuild. 67 M109 command box. Iowa national guard. Remember. At rebuild they change odometers and hour meters. The big tired deuce was an extra down size vehicle. A flight line truck, even being an 86, hardly used, with major upgrades. I've had the bug 20 years, socom688 just got it. Old Iron gets addictive.

Ok I am not trying to offend anyone here, as you all seem very pumped up about these trucks nor am I one to piss on someones hobby, but I gotta ask.............why?

What do you all do with these trucks that is so fun? Obviously there are better trucks for hauling things. And better trucks for off road. Maybe I just am not seeing the fun? Enlighten me.

Ok I am not trying to offend anyone here, as you all seem very pumped up about these trucks nor am I one to piss on someones hobby, but I gotta ask.............why?

What do you all do with these trucks that is so fun? Obviously there are better trucks for hauling things. And better trucks for off road. Maybe I just am not seeing the fun? Enlighten me.

The fun is in the build, making something. Have you purchased a Saiga? Is still stock?

Ruffian has done some great work on his, turned one into a hunting camper.

• Like 1

Guess what you need. And dependable all solid built and easy to fix. Parts are usually cheap and only basic knowledge and a manual for repairs.  Friend in North Dakota hauled his father with eternal bleeding 22 miles through blizzard conditions and 4to5 foot drifts to hospital last month. Yes, that wont happen often, if ever for most people. Last winter my son used my bobber to get medical staff to and from clinic and rest home. Take meals to elderly. Our jeep or big 2 ton lifted dodge 2012 couldn't go through drifts around town. Wet.hard pack. Mine has also been used when flooding to haul supplies. Oh, the fun factor and make the kids and veterans smile at parades and shows. Plus, these are NOT shut down by electronic/computer disable equipment.

Edited by Ruffian72
  • Like 4

post-3200-0-33738800-1390150881_thumb.jpgHeck, our county Sheriffs Expeditions and big Fords pickups were stuck all over Even the 2 Gov surplus Hummers couldn't get out of town and down some streets. I used the 6x6 to get stranded motorist on road patrol. Ground height and weight busts through. Heck the county has 3 of these 6x6's with water units to support/supply rural quick response fire trucks. We have made 4 bobbers since last year for area agencies since seeing what mine and others around here would do and go. Yes, they will be started and maintained like the fire trucks, not used much, yet when needed, the costs wont matter much. Plus, we did these for around $8,000 a piece. One pictured is mine. The area agencies are hard tops and painted Bright Yellow or Orange. Made bed pull out bed shells. for a couple. Basic emergency response. Funny thing, ours and the others are watched over by retired military mechanics, including the water haulers. Gotta chuckle how that old military attitude and discipline never leaves when maintaining these.

Edited by Ruffian72
  • Like 3

Though I never need to justify anything I do to other people with my money, I will admit I didn't buy it because I need to haul a few bags of mulch from Home Depot. It's primarily my toy that I will work on. Working on cars or trucks is my form of meditation in this crazy world and for me, it feels good to just go into a zone and take something and make it better with my own hands. It will become an even more capable version of what it was build for because I made it that way.

• Like 3

Doesn't matter what you need it for, it's just kick ass. If I could get one of these and tinker with it I would. Land constraints living in an apartment kinda take them out of the realm of reality at this time. Maybe in a few years I can get myself in one. That's awesome socom. Congrats beer.gif

• Like 2

You guys are gonna be screwed when we ditch petroleum and start running everything on "Fairy Dust". :)

There's a guy in town that has a Deuce parked on his front lawn. Nice looking truck.

Edited by Sim_Player

The fun is in the build, making something. Have you purchased a Saiga? Is still stock?

Ruffian has done some great work on his, turned one into a hunting camper.

Guess what you need. And dependable all solid built and easy to fix. Parts are usually cheap and only basic knowledge and a manual for repairs.  Friend in North Dakota hauled his father with eternal bleeding 22 miles through blizzard conditions and 4to5 foot drifts to hospital last month. Yes, that wont happen often, if ever for most people. Last winter my son used my bobber to get medical staff to and from clinic and rest home. Take meals to elderly. Our jeep or big 2 ton lifted dodge 2012 couldn't go through drifts around town. Wet.hard pack. Mine has also been used when flooding to haul supplies. Oh, the fun factor and make the kids and veterans smile at parades and shows. Plus, these are NOT shut down by electronic/computer disable equipment.

Though I never need to justify anything I do to other people with my money, I will admit I didn't buy it because I need to haul a few bags of mulch from Home Depot. It's primarily my toy that I will work on. Working on cars or trucks is my form of meditation in this crazy world and for me, it feels good to just go into a zone and take something and make it better with my own hands. It will become an even more capable version of what it was build for because I made it that way.

OK ok ok ok, I was just asking. Don't get your panties all in a wad. Sounds like it could be fun. Working on cars or trucks have never been my thing so I guess its hard for me to understand. I guess thats about the only thing I don't really have any interest in doing myself, never had. 

• Like 1