I posted this in another thread but no response yet, so I'm starting a new one. I know there is much information about this subject in this and other forums, but bear with me.

I'm aware that some Saigas have threaded barrels, and from looking at crown area of mine (7.62x39, 3/09 manufacture) it appears to be threaded, so after reading extensively about the subject I proceeded to cut the shroud with a pipe cutter .

I used a Ridgid cutter, cost was $25, went slow and oiled well during the cut. It did accomplish a clean cut somewhat less than 5/8" distance from crown and I stopped at about a depth I considered right, just a hair less than 1/8". The shroud did move just a tiny bit forward and I can peek into the cut and see what appears to be the threaded barrel, so I'm pretty sure I've cut off the shroud and down to the barrel, but the shroud is not moving. I tried hitting it with a wide flat screwdriver and mallet at about 45 deg. angle but no joy. Also tried twisting it out with pliers, no luck either.

Unless I haven't cut deep enough (which I don't think is the case, but not absolutely positive) I'm not sure what's going on, I've read that once the shroud is cut off it moves or pops out freely, mine has not. And at this point I don't dare cut any deeper.

Thanks, any suggestions or ideas will be appreciated.

I got mine close like you talking and I put a pair of channel locks on the shroud and tried turning it like a nut. It will break loose of you are deep enough. If it won't break loose by trying to turn it, cut a little deeper. It isn't threaded on there, but the action of turning it will break what material is left. That's how I did mine.

First, not all Saiga's have threaded barrels. Mine "appeared" threaded to me until I got my front sight post off, and then I was disappointed to find out otherwise.

Second, good job so far using the pipe-cutter. I would suggest, if you have a very steady hand, to use a dremel or similar high-speed mini-cutter with a wheel to cut longitudally down the side of what you have left. You do not need to cut all the way through (and I advise that you do not). Just get close, and keep trying to work it back and forth with pliers or other said tool. Take a little more off when needed. If you do have threads, a flat front sight post will not damage the threads when you work it. If you cut too far through it however, you obviously could damage them instantly. The idea is to relieve the steel enough on the post to split or give enough to come off without trouble. Just speaking from experience.

• Like 1

Mine had the threaded barrel under the FSB as well, and I had the same issue. There is threading mastic or some type of loctite between them, and with the threads present, it can seize them up pretty good. The torch trick and a set of channel locks took care of the problem for me.

OK, I was able to heat up the shroud and with channel locks and some coaxing it came off. As Lone Eagle and Spacehog mentioned, there was some goop in there keeping things tight. But, no threads; I will have to do them.

However, the barrel was scored while cutting the shroud; I estimate the depth is about 1/16", maybe a tad more than depth of threads (sorry picture is blurry, taken with BB)

post-48881-0-32685600-1390256485_thumb.jpg

Am I SOL and buying a new barrel? or will this be negligible after threads are done and flash hider locked in place?

Comments?

Thanks

Edited by AK Fan

To Lone Eagle and Spacehog's points, my one and only Saiga didn't have threads under the shroud when I cut it, but I bet... if someone has this problem and doesn't have a torch... that you could spray some PB Penetrating Catalyst between the shroud and the threads, let it sit for a few minutes, then go at it with channel locks.

I have had good luck with PB Penetrating Catalyst breaking Loctite. Also, I had to use that stuff to break the original Saiga Monte Carlo buttstock screws. Those were on there really tight too.  

Cut into my S223 barrel removing the FSB about the same depth. As everyone else has said, no issues. (Same thing they told me when I posted the same question a couple of years ago) Thread it, shoot it, and enjoy it.

HA, I did the same thing. Had a perfect straight line down both sides of the barrel where I cut the FSB off. Not even fingernail wide or deep. Pressed on a 74 FSB and it covered it nicely.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have some photos using a tubing cutter that I can't find. Get a small meatal framed one if you go that route. The plastic ones will fail, as I found out. Holding rifle during threading without damaging it is not easy.

post-48978-0-17102300-1393560916.jpg

Edited by SaigaFL