Anyone have experience with these barrels?

Since you would need to go through all the trouble and expense to register the gun as an SBS, why bother to keep the long barrel? It is not like you can unscrew the magazine cap and swap them out - it requires pressing the barrel and the retainer pin in and out with a press.

It's cool that a replacement barrel is available, but I would be concerned that they are machined and not forged like a factory barrel.  Also, I can't imagine that the pre-machined pin location is going to line up with the one in your trunnion, or that the lugs are going to mesh just right with your existing bolt.

I wonder if they make a rifled one

ive been to the guys shop...good guy. there shop is right in the middle of where a bunch of that flooding was this year... bad times.

there were plans for rifled barrels but i thnk the logistics of makin hte broach or whatever to go down em was gonna make em too expensive etc...

Ive been missing a lot lately.  Salty you are right.  Paul is a great guy.  They were underwater for awhile during the floods.  It takes awhile to recover from that.  I'm not sure what lugs Pedal2 is referring to.  The bolt engages the trunion and not the barrel.  The only place the barrel needs clearance is where the extractors are.

I don't know how well you have looked at the engagement but the bolt has a lot of clearance and does in fact move around a lot until locked in battery.  Now as far as the barrel goes, I have one.  I had to replace my factory unit. Not only is the barrel a wonder to look at, it is machined perfectly or as perfect as you can get.  The dimensions are identical to what is specified by factory.  Everything aligns correctly.  I installed and removed and reinstalled both it and my factory barrel checking it over and over.  It was really a waste of time as the iCC unit did not need that much scrunity.   As far as the premachined notch for the retainer pin.  Well, it is just a notch and not intended to be final.  It is a locator and once the barrel is positioned properly, i.e. headspace, clock position, then you need to finish the fitting of the pin.  It isn't anymore difficult than installing a barrel in a 7.62 or any other AK model.  Paul uses blanks and then machines them to the Saiga specs.  The barrel is 4130 chrome moly steel.  It is far and above in quality and materials than the factory unit.  There still plans to bring a rifled unit to market.  I have it on good authority, from Paul, that he has a manufacturers rep working diligently to find a shop that can handle the specs and demand.  I could not even begin to guess when it will come to bare but it is in the works.  iCC also has additional parts available for the S12.  One cool feature of my barrel is that I had the gas ports bored at the factory.  Paul has a 6 around 1 pattern that fits perfectly within the dimensions of the port in the gas block.  Its great to see a group of different companies take a leap and manufacture more parts for the Saigas.  Dinzag has an awesome rear sight block and gas tube assembly, R & R brought a replacement bolt carrier to market. iCC has the barrels covered.  Now what we need are receiver parts available. 

• Like 2

If you remember what it was like in the early days of the S12, the platform has come a long way.  Great to have all of these parts options.

Regarding the barrel with it's various lugs and notches, they engage the bolt and effect the bolt rotation, that's why it's imperative that they are exact, and it sounds like this company has achieved that which is impressive.

The replacement barrel material is definitely robust, the only thing missing is the testing.  The factory hammer forged barrel has been proven with the many thousands in use and millions of rounds fired with maybe no (?) failures on record.  In theory, the 4130 should handle the pressures and I would use the replacement barrel if I needed one.  I would just not have the same confidence level yet.

post-1629-0-26891800-1390764259_thumb.jpg

S12 barrel lugs and notches for bolt interface

Hey Pedal,  I thought you were referring to the guides for the extractors.  I can assure you that they are in the exact clock position as the original barrel. That was one of the reasons for the many install/removal/checks that I did.  It is hard as hell to scratch decent guide lines into the trunion .  One of the things I did on the installs was to go past and not up to the proper clock position just to see how much you could be off and still function.  Just like the factory barrel the extractors still engaged even with the position being off by maybe 1/32.  There is plenty of twisting movement in the bolt head. That goes right along with the mission of the AK.  To still be able to function in adverse conditions.  That is part of the reason they have a lot of play in the tolerances.  Like I had said, Paul gets 12g blanks and then machines them to specs.  There are several methods of manufacture for blanks and I did not ask about that.  Tell ya what.  I'll post an answer soon.  I'll find out in a couple of days at the most.  My factory barrel didn't take well to being dropped thus the need for a replacement.  Add that to how much better the iCC units look made it a no brainer.   I'll give you my findings about durability as soon as I can get out to shoot.  Right now we are buried knee deep to an elephants ass in snow.  Every day it dumps another 4 on us.  Fuck, we have been in a winter storm warning for the past 2+ weeks.   And it's unusually cold.  It hasn't been above 15 in several weeks.  Most nights it drops to 0 or below.  Forecast is calling for a high of negative 5 on Tuesday and right now we are in another winter storm warning until Monday afternoon.  It started yesterday.  Winter sucks green donkey longies. 

Just to add to some of the awesome things that iCC is doing, I was sent copies of the measured drawings for a replacement gas block.  That is another part that is in the works.  No date on completion yet though.  Don't go calling asking where it is.  Got to get test units made first.   They will be water jet cut with the finish machineing done in house.  We really are lucky to have Paul Wingrove stepping up to the tasks of making additional parts for our use.  Just sayin.