I live in a rural neighborhood with about an acre between houses. Up till now I have been using .22 sub sonic shorts to deal with

garden raiders but lately have not been able to find them anywhere.

Stopped by the local GS and the guy says try these. .22lr with a 20 grain bullet and NO POWDER.

Just the primer and thats it. He said you get about 560 fps with a rifle.

Took some home and tried it out on a beer can full of water at 50'. Punched a hole clean through and was supper quiet.

Made about as much noise as dropping a quarter on a concrete floor, and was quieter than the .22 short subs.

Think I found my new go to round for vegetable thieves in the spring.

post-15138-0-08663900-1390249549.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah I use CCI CB longs in my Sig 522 to scare off crows. I like crows - I just don't like the noise when hundreds of them show up at once - so I don't shoot them, I just shoot the main trunk nearest their perch, and they scatter for most of the day.

The only problem is that the CB rounds have a pretty big POI change.

I hand cycle them in the 522, and they fit and feed from the mag without issue.

Edited by mancat
  • Like 1

I haven't tried the Aguila rounds, but the CCI Quiet worked well in my S&W target pistol (Auto). It cycled once or twice, but not reliably. I'd not quite call it hearing safe, but still better than standard ammo for dealing with pests in a hurry. 

Has anyone compared the two?

p.s. .22 plinkster has a video using CCI quiet in the 10/22, so it apparently works. I know Aguila says not to use supercalibri in rifles, there's this video which I found to be quite interesting. 

They don't want you to use it in a rifle, because the projectile might not leave the bore - it's so quiet that you might not notice, then the next round fires into an obstructed bore and then bad news.

I understand that. However it isn't too hard to carefully verify whether they work in your particular rifle. Once that is done, they should be safe to use normally.

Much higher risk of an insufficient charge when you're relying on the primer alone - if you've seen a video of how .22LR is primed, you'll see how easy it is for a single casing in a batch to get a little less primer compound than it is supposed to. It's not a substantial risk, but it's certainly greater than in a cartridge with a little bit of gunpowder.

Edited by Shandlanos

I understand and agree with that. But these rounds are intended for pest control, not rapid magazine dumps. In that type of normal use, you would notice whether you hit or not. If you didn't see an impact, then checking the bore would be in order. A simple flashlight or rod down the barrel would  let you see frrom the breech whether there was an obstruction.

I almost hate to mention this but the regular CCI Subsonic cycles all my semis perfectly and is quiet enough not be heard from over a couple of hundred yards IF it is very quiet, good stuff.

The CCI quiet, is significantly quieter than the subsonic. I imagine the same is true for the aguila.

• Like 1

This is exactly why a started this post.

Both Gunfun and Shandlanos have posted information that I had not considered.

I will be using this stuff predominantly in a bolt rifle.

Based on the info from both of you gentleman I will be slower and more cautious with follow up shots.

Also the need to clean the barrel more often when using these is important.

Thanks for the info guys.

• Like 2

I shoot them out of my 10/22 all the time at the neighbors dogs, and handle cycle the gun each time, no problem. After I capped one of his PEST one morning, using Stingers, OOPs, while the rug rats where getting on the bus, up the road, I changed to these. Thank God he only made it 1/2 way down the drive way before killing over, last thing I needed was a dog running down the road toward the bus, with a bullet hole in his side.

I shoot them out of my 10/22 all the time at the neighbors dogs, and handle cycle the gun each time, no problem. After I capped one of his PEST one morning, using Stingers, OOPs, while the rug rats where getting on the bus, up the road, I changed to these. Thank God he only made it 1/2 way down the drive way before killing over, last thing I needed was a dog running down the road toward the bus, with a bullet hole in his side.

That's pretty fucked up.

• Like 1

I understand and agree with that. But these rounds are intended for pest control, not rapid magazine dumps. In that type of normal use, you would notice whether you hit or not. If you didn't see an impact, then checking the bore would be in order. A simple flashlight or rod down the barrel would  let you see frrom the breech whether there was an obstruction.

I almost hate to mention this but the regular CCI Subsonic cycles all my semis perfectly and is quiet enough not be heard from over a couple of hundred yards IF it is very quiet, good stuff.

The CCI quiet, is significantly quieter than the subsonic. I imagine the same is true for the aguila.

Not real concerned with that little bit of noise, we all have our ways.

Really depends on where you live. Also hearing doesn't come back. It's nice to have a handy pest getter that won't cause hearing loss.

Doubt a subsonic 22 round is going to cause any hearing loss on the occasional varmint. 

Well unless it hits you in the ear.

Point was once the crack is gone IF one had to keep things as quiet as possible there are ways that dont impact functionality.

That's all

Hearing loss is cumulative - when you damage it, even a little bit, it doesn't recover. Even a subsonic .22LR (unsuppressed) makes enough sound for cumulative hearing loss - though supersonic stuff definitely harms you more. The CCI stuff that just used the primer probably doesn't.

Edited by Shandlanos
  • Like 1

I use them all the time in a bolt action rifle. I have not had one get stuck yet, but I have had a couple out of 500 sound like a spit ball.

When the sound is different, I check to bore.

I find them to be fairly effective on medium sized squirrels, an opossum that got in with my chickens did not die from 6 rounds of .22 SC.. Took two rounds of regular HP to finish the job.

• Like 1

The energy is comparable to a break barrel pellet gun, but they are a little quieter. 

I'd love to get one of those PCP shrouded (supressed, but not treated as such) .22 cal pellet guns. Now they even come in 30 cal for some of the decent ones. 

Hearing loss is cumulative - when you damage it, even a little bit, it doesn't recover. Even a subsonic .22LR (unsuppressed) makes enough sound for cumulative hearing loss - though supersonic stuff definitely harms you more. The CCI stuff that just used the primer probably doesn't.

The DB reading of the CCI or any subsonic 22 is likely far below the level acknowledged to cause hearing loss. 

The range for 22 of the non-subsonic type is 102-140db at the top end, the level that hearing loss MAY occur is 140db.