What is the highest mileage vehicle you have owned

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1956 VW bug oval window.  522, 800.  Bought from original owner.  Drove it for 31 years until some SOB stole it. 

1976 International Scout II had it from new till I sold it in the late 80s still running with over 200K.

I have 87,000 actual miles on a 96' Plymouth Neon.. Its a Neon so the miles are multiplied by 4 (kinda like dog years). Because getting over 50,000 is an accomplishment.... So in Neon miles is 348K  

Posted Images

2002 Ford Taurus with 155,000 miles and still rolling along nicely......although there is some MI rust over the rear wheel wells.  It runs fine but that darn rust!  I'm looking to sell it soon as I have already replaced it with a new ride that has a lot of bells and whistles including a built in GPS, etc.  2013 Taurus in Red with less than 20K miles on it.  Looks sharp too.  

Currently I have a '99 Suburban K2500 with the 454 and 208,000+ miles it gets 10 MPG, That is 10 MPG empty, and 10 MPG carrying 1,500# while pulling another 7,500# !!  My other vehicle is a '88 Comanche with a 4.0 6 and 223,000 miles.

Best car EVER was a '64 Rambler American with a 196 OHV 6. (factory conversion of a flat head engine,shared the same block). It had over 320,000 when I sold her.She used to get 44 MPG at 80 MPH!

My eldest girl had an '84 Dodge K wagon with the four that died at 325,000.

Best car EVER was a '64 Rambler American with a 196 OHV 6. (factory conversion of a flat head engine,shared the same block). It had over 320,000 when I sold her.She used to get 44 MPG at 80 MPH!

My brother had one of those. We did more than a few time warps in that thing.

• 9 months later...

'01 Suburban 4x4 with 257k on it. Original motor and trans. Parts are cheap and easy to find. I just took a trip to NC in it and drove it to Michigan a few years ago when it had about 215k on it. It runs great and is my favorite vehicle ever. It does everything I need it to do and looks fairly low profile except for one decal I have in one of the barn door windows that most people don't even know what it is or what it means. I have just cut down my average daily commute to 10 miles per day and hope to keep it for the rest of my life if I can keep morons from crashing into me.

• Like 1

I drive a 98 F150 for work that I picked up with around 96k miles. I have been slowly replacing the rusting bed and cab with fiberglass every few years to keep it on the road. I've had to replace all the normal stuff, brakes balljoints ect... Im just about to hit 140k and I'm committed to getting 200k miles out of this truck.

It has the 4.2 liter v6 that some claim is Fords most reliable truck engine they ever built. I believe them it doesn't make enough power to break anything but gets the job done.

• Like 1

I have 87,000 actual miles on a 96' Plymouth Neon.. Its a Neon so the miles are multiplied by 4 (kinda like dog years). Because getting over 50,000 is an accomplishment.... So in Neon miles is 348K

My current repair list for parts is higher than blue book, however it still drags itself down the road like a wounded beast, both tragic and majestic...(ok maybe not majestic)

When you drive it the hours and miles actually feel significantly longer.. Its nice in this fast paced pleasure driven world to be able to slow down time and focus on the pure misery of driving a Neon,,

Everytime I get in I say: "Wow, I really hate this car."

Just tell yourself, " at least this isn't a late 90s cavalier or a PT cruiser. at least this isn't a late 90s cavalier or a PT cruiser....."

My dad used to push all of his trucks to the limit. He had two Broncos with 351W/C6 go past the 250K mark, one went to 300K on original drivetrain. He had the engine rebuilt on that one just because it was tired, and the truck continued on until he sold it to my cousin, who ruined it by using it as a contractor vehicle. His shitty dog also ate all of the seatbelts and most of the seat cushioning. Black lab/dalmation mix. Worst dog ever, totally out of control.

Two  of my cousins had brother from a black lab dalmation mix litter. They were respectively one of the best and worst dogs I've known. Chuck had lab build and brains with soft fur in dalmation pattern. Smart, loyal, good with kids, even tempered. Kept the other dogs in line. Didn't pee on grampa's porch too much.

Ralph was an idiot. Chase the horses, nip the kids. run in front of cars, porcupine trouble what seemed like twice a week. Eventually he lost the car game and everyone was relived. Ralph was the opposite of chuck dalmation brain and build with wiry course hair like a dalmation, but jet black like a lab.

Sim, those are all pretty simple fixes.  If nothing else keep it as a spare.  These old Saturns love to routinely make it well in to the 200 some odd thousand miles with a little maintenance.027.gif

There was one @ Sutliff Saturn in Harrisburg, PA that was still going with over 500K on it. 

I had no idea these little Saturns were so reliable until we found one for my daughter and did some research on them.  Hers had 167K on it when we bought it in September of last year.  I think it needs an upper motor mount replaced as it vibrates a little bit, but other than that so far it's been a good car.  I'm hoping she can get a few years out of it anyways.  

I had a 92 SL1. It was kind of a turd. It ate alternators, made no power, and had an automatic. Problem was that it was GM's first attempt at an electronically controlled auto, and it would shift in the most retarded clunky way. Also remember that alternator thing. The trans quit working at 11.5 volts. The timing and traction control went out at about 11 volts. That alternator took dad and I about 3.5 hours to shoehorn out the first time. By the time I was done with it, I could do it in 15 minutes on the side of the road with a shaved socket and a mat I kept in the trunk. 

It looked good for it's day and had great handling though. Wonderful on snow. FWD low CG and perfect 50/50 weight distribution. GM's traction control was not sophisticated, but with the gutless engine it worked almost miraculously. Not so much on their bigger engines of the day. I could plow through snow higher than my bumper, and get going from a dead stop. I can't tell you how many times I would go places where jeeps and suburbans were getting stuck...

Someone mentioned festivas. My family had several, and they were really good for what they were. Those regularly go to 450K. My first car was one of them, 5 speed and whatever the best engine was for them. (I can't even remember which that was, but I recall it was actually a mitsu powerplant in a kia made body. Those had about 5 engine combos over the years) Mine got 55/45 every day of the week. Pretty good for a car which had a $6k MSRP. Prius can't do so well for whatever they cost now. IMO the light and simple gas or diesel is a better concept. It didn't reach high miles, because a doctor rear ended me while I was parked. He was going ~35-40 in an olds acheiva and you should have seen how trashed his car was. I just bounced 90 feet and buckled in the rear bumper area until it was pinching the tire to the rim. My dad sawed the car in half and welded on the back of another. Not worth it though. He towed it and forgot to have it out of gear with the motor running or something like that...

• Like 1

I am running a '99 Suburban with 216.000 miles, 454 in a K2500 4X4 all origional perfect Texas truck. Also an '88 Comanchee with 217,000 miles.

Most miles ever was a '64 Rambler American that went well over 300,000 miles, but that was with at least 5 or 6 transmissions.My oldest daughter had an Aries K wagon that went over 320,000 before the trans died.

• Like 2

My 1998 Saturn SL2 is up to 193,000 (same engine, transmission, and clutch).

Still gets 35 mpg.

It needs some serious love but, 16 years is long enough.

I'm planning to sell it and my 1976 B200 Conversion/Work Van for a small pickup. Maybe an older Toyota.

Edited by Sim_Player
  • Like 2

Our 95 Explorer XLT 4.0 V6 is about to roll over 200k. Was dad's daily driver until he got a company truck about 8 years ago, and has been a family spare since. Dad bought it from a friend at 130k, received regular maintenance at dealer up until that point. We changed all fluids including transfer case, diffs, dropped A/T pan & filter (was still squeaky clean), flushed brake lines.

A/C was not working, compressor was seized - believe it or not I freed the compressor by tapping the input shaft with a ball peen while manually tripping the clutch. Not sure what was going on inside, but it started spinning freely as I tapped it. Added R134a to get up to proper pressure. A/C has continued working ever since.

Recently did full ATF fluid exchange via the cooler lines - trans still shifts great, no issues.

Replaced both front wheel bearings last month, and needs new ball joints this winter - front suspension has some light popping and I found some up/down play in the knuckles while doing the bearings. Front suspension is still extremely tight otherwise, handles like a new truck on the road. I have a full set of control arm bushings but I may not get that deep into it.

Leaf springs sag a little bit when loaded up, I plan to throw in an add a leaf or drop shackle to get a bit of rake in the rear end, and will tweak the front torsion bars for a little extra front lift if needed - great thing about these trucks, you can lift them about 2" without any major parts required.

Has been a great SUV, and with the control trac 4WD (variable clutch in the T-case) and studs on all fours, it's unstoppable in the snow, and can run on road with the 4x4 engaged up to 60MPH, since the clutch in the T-case prevents drive line binding on turns.

I love the older Explorers, I am thinking about replacing my Jeep with an older Sport Trac, and giving my old 91 Sport beater to my MIL as a Montana winter truck..

Edited by mancat

177K on a 95 Lincoln Continental.  Bought at 68K, replaced transaxel at 120.  Starting to get rusty on the right rear wheelwell.  Engine not using a drop of oil yet.

Still have my 95 E150 with the straight 6 industrial engine. 120K but not driving much due to the 35 gal tank.

I vary between two daily drivers depending on what I am doing. 1984 Toyota vanwagon is my work van. 268K miles and 22-24 mpg in town. Other is an 82 VW Rabbit Diesel Pickup, odometer quit working at 210K. The fact it gets 45+ MPG is my favorite part about it.

• Like 1

177K on my Dodge Ram Cummins Diesel. Just broken in. If you are seeking high millage from a vehicle, seek out a Diesel.

A friend of mine from high school had an old Volvo diesel that his parents gave him, it had over 500k miles on it. It smoked like a chimney, but it was still going. I read in the news a fews years back about a guy from Canada I think, he topped a million miles on a Chevy/GMC pickup with a Duramax in it.