What is the highest mileage vehicle you have owned

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1956 VW bug oval window.  522, 800.  Bought from original owner.  Drove it for 31 years until some SOB stole it. 

1976 International Scout II had it from new till I sold it in the late 80s still running with over 200K.

I have 87,000 actual miles on a 96' Plymouth Neon.. Its a Neon so the miles are multiplied by 4 (kinda like dog years). Because getting over 50,000 is an accomplishment.... So in Neon miles is 348K  

Posted Images

with its 351. I drove it non stop to Wyoming from Knoxville when it had 234k on it. It was a great running truck.

That had to be back in the day when gas was cheap(er). Would cost a small fortune now at 8-10mpgs, maybe 12?

yeah I think it was around 1.55 a gallon. It took me about 200 bucks one way.

I have a 91 Explorer Sport that I sort of treat like a short-bed pickup and off-road beater. 3" suspension lift, 31s, manual trans, T-case, and hubs - pretty rare on the Explorer. 270,000 miles on original drivetrain and it still starts up every time with no fuss and pulls great. I think the clutch is on its last legs, and the master cyl has a bit of a leak. My mother in law drove it from Seattle to central Montana this winter and had no problems with it, at least until she hit a deer on the way back, but that old beast only had a dented bumper from it. Ah back when even compact American trucks/SUVs were built like tanks.

My dad used to push all of his trucks to the limit. He had two Broncos with 351W/C6 go past the 250K mark, one went to 300K on original drivetrain. He had the engine rebuilt on that one just because it was tired, and the truck continued on until he sold it to my cousin, who ruined it by using it as a contractor vehicle. His shitty dog also ate all of the seatbelts and most of the seat cushioning. Black lab/dalmation mix. Worst dog ever, totally out of control.

The 87 351W EB was my first truck. Only got 8MPG with a 32gal tank, but when I got my license, gas was 90 cents a gallon.

My dad also had a really nice 88 Eddie Bauer Bronco that we put a crate EFI 302 into (bought used, original had trashed rings). It was one of the few that had an EFI 302 and C6 along with 3.73 L/S rear - most had the crap EOD auto by this point. Then a couple years later he got a company truck and sold it for $700 to a neighbor who lost his job and had no vehicle. Then that guy got into meth and again, wrecked the nice Bronco that still looked like it just rolled off the showroom floor. Still sort of pissed that my dad did that. I would've loved to have that Bronco as a camping/snow rig.

If I could find a really nice example, I would love to have a last-year '96 forest-green Eddie Bauer Bronco with the 300 I6 and manual trans. I would love to mod it as a really great camping rig, not too extreme, and to share something with my son that my dad and I shared - growing up working and playing in Broncos. I do miss having one...

Edited by mancat
  • Like 1

1996 Mitsubishi Mirage, 311k all mine. 1.5, carb, stick. replaced timing belt. Body started coming apart. New front tires every October, brakes and rotors when needed. Loved that car, it would go through the snow. Back and forth to work, 96miles round trip, should have bought 2.

Ford 300 i6 and jeep 4.0 i6, two of my favorites. Have owned two examples of each and all were bullet proof. Just great motors, I wish they'd never gone away from them.

I6 motors are really the best layout of both diesel and gas engines IMO. The design is naturally balanced and typically makes great torque across most of the available RPM ranges. Too bad it seems manufacturers are more concerned with sloping hoodlines and the perceived greatness of the gas V8.

I wish Jeep had refreshed their tooling and redesigned the 4.0 block to use a DOHC crossflow head.

I do love the 4.0 I6 in my Wrangler and will hate to see it go when I finally trade in for a JK. I've towed way more than the Wrangler is rated for, and the six just grunts and pulls along with it. I suspect I'll buy an older 4.0 Wrangler as a toy later on though.

Edited by mancat
  • Like 1

My last Jeep pick-up, [an 89 Comanche that I traded in 09 for my current Wrangle Unlimited] had 287K on the dial...

Two of the ambulances I work on have WELL over 300K on the clock with poor maintenance, but they are diesel [Fords - and I HATE Fords...].

Macbeau sends...

Forgot about jeep

Had an 89 commanche loved that thing. Sold with 275k

Current 04 tacoma 207k

• 11 months later...

Figured I'd give this old thread a bump.  Love old trusty rusty vehicles.

My daughter's 2002 Saturn SL1 just turned 170K this week.  Still runs great.

Fired right up in the morning after nearly a week of close to -15 wind chills at night.

• Like 1

I bought a brand new 2013 Wrangler JKU in May of '13 with 37 miles on it. As of now it has just shy of 43,000. Yeah I have to drive a lot since my work covers such a wide area. At this pace, it might end up being the highest mileage vehicle I have ever owned.

2002 Silverado 4x4 ~277,000 miles. Original engine. No engine work, body still good. Great truck. Still have it. Still running.

Update:

Rockers started to show rust this spring. Engine still going strong. Not using oil, over 280K when traded for '14 Silverado All Star Edition 4x4 dbl cab w/5.3L direct injection. LOADS of power! Got it 10K <MSRP (not counting trade)

My 1989 suburban had 265,000 when I sold it  had replaced a fuel pump twice, alternator and water pump once,

It would use half a quart of oil between changes.

My 2004 Hummer H2 has 190.000 now  no maintenance required so far except a fuel pump, I'm  sure it needs plugs .

Had a ford ranger (hand me down) that had 300.000 but it was DONE, and should have been retired 100,000 miles earlier

kids used it for buzzing around the ranch,  used as much oil as it used gas and knocked like a midget was caught in the oil pan and was trying to beat his way out with a ball peen hammerhaha.gif

Was the Ranger a 2.9 V6? Had one of those and they were well known for valve train oiling issues - whole valve train oil supply came through a galley fed from one of the cam bearings. It ran great until it started to warm up, then the top end lost oil pressure. Bottom end still pushed near 50psi warm. Eventually it started eating the distributor drive gear.

1988 "Ford" Festiva, first car i ever owned died with 296k on it, beat the hell out of it. 20mph rollbacks just to do burnouts, broke the ebrake playing around in walmart parking lot during the winter, played bumper cars with it and friends on the way to school all kinds of dumb shit. only did oilchanges and tuneups, prolly why the axel got tore from the tranny when the ball joint took a shit. paid $300 for it got in and relized it was a stick, lets just say mazda builds a hell of a tranny lol

• Like 2

Second highest mileage private vehicle I ever owned was another 1978 Chevy heavy half short wheel base step side rear wheel drive one half ton pickup. Right at 150,000 miles. Might have been 250,000 miles. Dunno. Dark gray. Also had the cool 250 straight six. Armstrong steering. Granny four speed. I was slowly fixing it up month by month and intended to put in a rat rod type Detroit Diesel 353N diesel with a real Jake Brake. Anyhow, pros stole the truck. I am still pissed off 5 years later. HB of CJ (old coot)

The first highest mileage private vehicle I owned was a 1974 Crown Supercoach ex school bus. Forty feet long, 10 wheels, inter axle differentials. Big Cam Cummins 400. RTO910 Fuller ten speed Road Ranger. Jake. Would do 85 mph. Sadly I sold her. Was going to make a high performance motor coach out of her. Her name was the Banana Boat 2. Long story. A fun Bus Conversion for sure. Easy to drive. Got 10 miles per gallon. Had 348,000 total road miles. About 25K on the Cummins which I rebuilt. About 10 years ago.

Edited by HB; I think I already answered this once?

Edited by HB again; Yes, I did already answer this fine thread. I hate getting old! smile.png

Edited by HB of CJ

Second highest mileage private vehicle I ever owned was another 1978 Chevy heavy half short wheel base step side rear wheel drive one half ton pickup. Right at 150,000 miles. Might have been 250,000 miles. Dunno. Dark gray. Also had the cool 250 straight six. Armstrong steering. Granny four speed. I was slowly fixing it up month by month and intended to put in a rat rod type Detroit Diesel 353N diesel with a real Jake Brake. Anyhow, pros stole the truck. I am still pissed off 5 years later. HB of CJ (old coot)

The old 2-stroke Detroits are awesome sounding. Some of the older ships I work on use a Detroit 12V92 as the emergency generator. When it cranks up you can hear that sucker going anywhere in the house.

A 1998 Saturn SL2, 5-Speed. It was our families first new car.

Now it's all mine and we've seen 190,400 miles together.

No rust anywhere.

Starter and battery replaced at 80,000 miles.

Original brakes and tires replaced at 110,000 miles.

Fan blower and cracked radiator replaced last summer (took me 1 hour).

I still get 33 mpg, consistently. I told my wife, I'll drive it until it dies.

It's too bad GM shit-canned the brand.

I'd rather have a Camaro but, whatever, it's paid for. We've been living on a shoe-string budget for about 7 years now and putting a daughter through a four-year college isn't cheap.

Go Cougs!

3,000 miles later...the catalytic converter is plugged up, muffler baffles are rattling, and the head-liner is falling down.

It's decision time. Been driving this car for 16 years.

Edited by Sim_Player

Sim, those are all pretty simple fixes.  If nothing else keep it as a spare.  These old Saturns love to routinely make it well in to the 200 some odd thousand miles with a little maintenance.027.gif

There was one @ Sutliff Saturn in Harrisburg, PA that was still going with over 500K on it. 

• Like 1

Sim, those are all pretty simple fixes.  If nothing else keep it as a spare.  These old Saturns love to routinely make it well in to the 200 some odd thousand miles with a little maintenance.027.gif

There was one @ Sutliff Saturn in Harrisburg, PA that was still going with over 500K on it. 

I had no idea these little Saturns were so reliable until we found one for my daughter and did some research on them.  Hers had 167K on it when we bought it in September of last year.  I think it needs an upper motor mount replaced as it vibrates a little bit, but other than that so far it's been a good car.  I'm hoping she can get a few years out of it anyways.  

I had no idea these little Saturns were so reliable until we found one for my daughter and did some research on them.  Hers had 167K on it when we bought it in September of last year.  I think it needs an upper motor mount replaced as it vibrates a little bit, but other than that so far it's been a good car.  I'm hoping she can get a few years out of it anyways.  

They were great. It's too bad GM closed out the brand. 

My family has been in the car business for the last 65 years. I remember when people thought 100,000 was near the end of the service life of a automobile. Vehicles running well after 200,000 to 300,000 miles are routine now. We see some with 500,000 + but they are usually not worth re-selling to the public so we just scrap them. I don't want to sell someone a car that will probably eat them up in repair bills. There are some motors today that have bad reputations....2.7 chrysler/dodge.....6.0 Ford diesel.....3.5 chevy and others. However, across the board, most motors, properly cared for will last long after the car is ready for the junkyard. Even some of the problematic motors I mentioned above can still last a long time absent abuse and proper maintenance. 

My work rig is a 1983 Toyota Vanwagon, 388K, I bought it for $800 in 2002 with 182K on the clock. Gutted the interior and put in tool and cable racks. Replaced the head gasket at 190K and pitched the original alternator, replaced it with a 160 amp GM.

1984 VW Rabbit diesel pickup, picked it up two years ago with +300K miles documented, one owner, original engine and trans. Using it daily right now while the vanwagon gets some new steering parts and then it will get refurbished from the tires up.

My current toyota 4runner has 345k miles on it, changed out the head at 320k due to corrosion, rod bearings at 330k, still original block, pistons and rings, lots of other upgrades though, was an auto til 320k, put a five speed in while swapping head.

My 78 vw rabbit had records showing close to 570k when I sold it.

Now, we did have an 07 Prius we bought brand new, in 17 months we put 47k miles on that. So high mileage over a given time.

just picked up a 4runner with 174k, $3400.  it was replacin 02 tacoma with 225k on it that i gave to my dad. nothing major on it, tires and brakes, maybe some oil here and there