What is your favorite machine gun setup?

Hey guys,

I am looking for some input from those who have hands on experience: What make\model machine gun\full auto setup would you recommend to someone who is considering getting one (and maybe only one)?  Please mention why you would recommend it as well. For example, Colt M16 lower with suppressed AAC 300 BLK upper and Schmidt and Bender glass because that lower can legally accommodate a variety of different uppers and this particular upper setup suits my targeting needs. 

Also, anyone have any places\people they would recommend for machine guns and suppressors?  I was wondering if anyone could suggest some place besides Gunbroker to shop. 

(I have already researched the laws of my state\county and have a local class iii FFL)   

Thanks for your time and consideration.    

Edited by some idiot

I've shot an AK-74, G36K, and G3 at Knob Creek (and an M2, but that doesn't count for this), my favorite was the 74, very controllable, the G36 and the G3 seemed to have quite a bit of rise with bursts.

Though with what darth said, an M-4/16 or a G3 would be a smart choice, on the G3 the trigger pack is registered, so you could switch that out on some other HK rifles.

Not an AK and not a Saiga AK.  Consider a M2 Carbine transferable "trigger pak".  In some cases a registered M2 disconnector block.  This is not the entire Carbine, but just one of the parts needed to legally convert a M1 Carbine into a M2 Carbine.  One may choose the disconnector block as the registered NFA part because it is a low stress component that is not prone to wear or breakage.

This route may be selected because it is the $cheapest$ way to enjoy full auto fun on a budget using a real USGI light rifle.  The REGISTERED disconnector block can be swapped from Carbine to Carbine...it does not have to be dedicated to one specific rifle.  Wear out or break the gun.....just find another donner gun.  About $6000-$7000 bucks in today's market, plus the $200 tax stamp.  Sometimes the gun is included.

The M1 Carbine round in power is between a pistol caliber SMG and a intermediant powered assult rifle round.  The Carbine itself has a fine history and can be collectable in and by itself.  Anybody between 8 and 88 can handle the M2 with training.  Somewhat spendy to shoot.  Many parts and accessories cheaply available.  With a little tweeking, 100% reliable.  HB of CJ (old coot) All US Code And NFA Rules Apply.

Edited by HB of CJ

MT Predator

"My friend just sold a complete M16 for $6K not long ago"    If that was a standard transferable you're killing me.........009.gif

OP-if you're looking for NFA stuff from a forum Business member,  Ken at C&S Metall-Werkes, Ltd always has interesting items. I know a few weeks ago he had a flawless MP5 and a Thompson he was brokering for an estate not to mention his stuff for sale.

Thanks guys for some helpful, or at least interesting, input!  The M2 Carbine is not something I had considered before but I am not sure it will satisfy my full auto desire.  The PKM, Phalanx, Seawhiz, Dillon Minigun, M2 - while all interesting options, I am not sure belt fed is something I am willing to commit to...  (how many of these recommendations are really from hands on experience?).  Can any speak to if a complete M16 lower is better than, as good as, or worse than a DIAS?  Or if a converted Colt AR15 (I assume all Colt AR15s that are FA are conversions?) is better than, equal to, or worse than a true M16 - I am just referring to the stamp of M16 or AR15 so please forgive me if my ignorance is reflected in my questions. 

C&S didn't have much listed on their website - do I need to contact them directly?  No other recommended sellers?  (or is that against forum policy?)  And if any other friends are selling registered M16s for $6000 please let me know! 

BTW +1 on the rubber band gun! 

Thanks again

Just get any transferrable that you can afford. You will love it and it will only increase in value.

If you want to buy a transferrable that is in stock from one of the big-name MG dealers you will pay a premium for that convenience. Best way to buy is through private sales. Check out Subguns.com and Sturmgewehr.com.

Another possibility might be one of the many MAC type machine pistols.  These came in various sizes, all are very small and usually employed either the 380, 9mm or 45 acp pistol caliber.  Very fun hose guns.  .22rf conversion kits I think are also available.  Very high rate of fire.  Rate reducer kits I also think are available.  Not all MACs are the same.  Some lackluster, some very good.  Easy to learn up. Some use different magazines.

Also about as non expensive as one can get.  Expect to pay from $4000 to $6000+ for a better version excellent condition or perhaps brand new in box example.  Some love them; others do not.  For just blasting at the range or in the woods, they are a gas.  You will go through the ammo.  FWIW, a good transferable M16 now goes for over $25,000.  Same for a MP5.  $Ouch$!  HB of CJ (old coot) All US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply.

I say dont buy one because you are just participateing in the whole illegal NFA and helping to pay the ridiculous is oly keeping them priced the way they are its kind of like legalized weed. Put an illegal machine gun next to a legal machine gun And you cant tell the difference just like a legal vs illegal pot plant in legal states.

But as for the question if the illegal huges act wasnt in effect and I could register and make a machine gun or buy a new one it would be a M16 lower and build it into a folding stock 22 long rifle. Cheap ammo use a 4 or 5 inch barrel to keep ammo sub and get a silencer. Id also say a mac with 22 upper would be very cool.

I don't think C&S has updated their site in years. Best bet is to call Fri/Sat and ask for Ken. They run the machine shop through the week, store front is open on Friday/Saturday.

Edit-check the ranges in your area for NFA rentals and try things out. If you want to travel there's always Knob Creek twice a year in KY and OFASTS in OK.

Edited by 6500rpm

Some high dollar stuff aint it.

I would pick one according to ammo, if you already stock 223 then logic would put you in that direction cause you will be buying a crap load more.

Guess the cheapest ammo would be for the AK74 at present, being select fire and relatively compact would make it more useful. 

Good luck 

Thanks again for the input.  It is helping me better understand my options and what considerations I should be making.  Costs do add up quick and seem to be going up all the time.  Right now I am just trying to understand the subtle differences between the lowers, DIASs, and other such related parts. 

Unless you've got the cash to be looking at HKs and M16s, I'd recommend looking at the pistol caliber subguns to start with. They are cheap as transferrable gets and, since the M11/9 is the most numerous MG in the registry, there are tons of after market options. They are presently starting at around $4000. There are other great options for subguns too like the S&W76, Madsen, Sten, M2 carbine, Reisling, Etc.

If you're determined to get an automatic rifle, the FN FNC and AC556 are on the low end at around $8000. Personally, if I was spending the big bucks (>$20K) I would jump straight to belt fed cause you can just about get a Browning 1919 for that.

And not to wreck the party, but you're (probably) not gonna find a transferrable PKM, RPD, M134, M249, GAU-8, or Oerlikon. Some of those do exist they're just quite rare and therefore expensive. Transferrable AKs are also extremely rare on the registry, but they are out there.

Yep, disgustingly expensive hobby.

This outfit is what convinced me to get a Mac. No regrets.

Unless you've got the cash to be looking at HKs and M16s, I'd recommend looking at the pistol caliber subguns to start with. They are cheap as transferrable gets and, since the M11/9 is the most numerous MG in the registry, there are tons of after market options. They are presently starting at around $4000. There are other great options for subguns too like the S&W76, Madsen, Sten, M2 carbine, Reisling, Etc.

If you're determined to get an automatic rifle, the FN FNC and AC556 are on the low end at around $8000. Personally, if I was spending the big bucks (>$20K) I would jump straight to belt fed cause you can just about get a Browning 1919 for that.

And not to wreck the party, but you're (probably) not gonna find a transferrable PKM, RPD, M134, M249, GAU-8, or Oerlikon. Some of those do exist they're just quite rare and therefore expensive. Transferrable AKs are also extremely rare on the registry, but they are out there.

Yep, disgustingly expensive hobby.

This outfit is what convinced me to get a Mac. No regrets.

I've been wanting to get one of those new lage uppers. Gorgeous.