What is your favorite machine gun setup?

I was at a shoot a few years ago where there were a bunch of full autos being fired at the end of the day the only 2 that went on firing were a

HK MP5 and a M3 grease gun.

In the service I never had much luck with M60s but I never had a problem with M16s.

Right about the PIG it can be a royal pain.

Of course it can be made better.

Those grease guns type designs are relatively simple to make if one could, legalities not fabrication are the problem.

Not a hell of a lot of complexity to contend.

I was at a shoot a few years ago where there were a bunch of full autos being fired at the end of the day the only 2 that went on firing were a

In the service I never had much luck with M60s but I never had a problem with M16s.

I've had the chance to fire a few M60s... I used to think they were pretty neat, until I had to deal with one. They aren't complete pieces of shit - but they sure try hard. Good luck getting more than 6,000 rounds through one without needing to replace parts. I'm not talking 6,000 rounds of continuous, abusive fire, either. A weapon that becomes nonfunctional and needs repaired if in the heat of the moment you close the feed cover while the charging handle is in the wrong position, is not a weapon that should ever have been fielded.

I've had the chance to fire a few M60s... I used to think they were pretty neat, until I had to deal with one. They aren't complete pieces of shit - but they sure try hard. Good luck getting more than 6,000 rounds through one without needing to replace parts. I'm not talking 6,000 rounds of continuous, abusive fire, either. A weapon that becomes nonfunctional and needs repaired if in the heat of the moment you close the feed cover while the charging handle is in the wrong position, is not a weapon that should ever have been fielded.

The history of the weapon Ive read clearly shows you are absolutely correct, never should have happened.

Thrown together in a rush to meet the NATO caliber requirement IIRC.

Bad juju

MT Predator

"My friend just sold a complete M16 for $6K not long ago"    If that was a standard transferable you're killing me.........:cryss:

No bullshit, found out too late. Standard transfer to another friend who already has a MP-40, MP5K, 1919A1, and a MG42 with an additional MG3 7.62 NATO barrel.

The history of the weapon Ive read clearly shows you are absolutely correct, never should have happened.

Thrown together in a rush to meet the NATO caliber requirement IIRC.

Bad juju

They're pretty much an MG42 with a reduced rate of fire, chambered in 7.62x51. Very expensive, even post-samples run around $5-6k - the only advantage it has over a 1919 is weight.

Just get any transferrable that you can afford. You will love it and it will only increase in value.

If you want to buy a transferrable that is in stock from one of the big-name MG dealers you will pay a premium for that convenience. Best way to buy is through private sales. Check out Subguns.com and Sturmgewehr.com.

Just beware of the scammers on sturm. Check out the general discussions section first.

At this point I am leaning toward a registered receiver on the AR15\M16 platform.  I spent some time yesterday at a class iii dealer looking into the guts of one  and it seems to be serviceable and obtainable.  Shootability is more important to me that collectability at this point.  I am monitoring the previously mentioned sites to try to get a feel for the dangers of such and will try to call C&S if I can get a moment away from work.  Please feel free to drop me a line if you know of something worth considering (like a friend selling one for $6000).  Thanks again everyone for your input and opinions. 

Edited by some idiot

Get a M10 or M11 cobray. They are much cheaper than a pre ban m16 and you can decide if having one is worth it. After you blow a few million rounds and thousands of dollars, you may come to the conclusion that autos are a novelty. Or, you get addicted to it and start your own collection.

It truly is a rich man's sport.

If you want to fire automatic weapons for free, I know a few recruiters that would be happy to talk to you! :)

• Like 1

Get a M10 or M11 cobray. They are much cheaper than a pre ban m16 and you can decide if having one is worth it. After you blow a few million rounds and thousands of dollars, you may come to the conclusion that autos are a novelty. Or, you get addicted to it and start your own collection.

If you want to fire automatic weapons for free, I know a few recruiters that would be happy to talk to you! :)

Brother, I will +100 this statement! I don't own any select fire or full auto weapons but a few of my shooting buddys do. It is truly a rich man's sport. My buddy has a HK MP-5K, Sterling, MP-40, Browning 1919, MG42, and now my other friend's M-16. They are all great weapons and I have fired them all numerous times but hands down is his 1942 MG42 for which he also has the 7.62 NATO barrel making it a MG3 is my favorite. Hitler's Buzzsaw cannot match any other General Purpose Machine Gun in my opinion. I have extensive experience humping the M-60, M-240B, and the M-249 SAW (which really is a squad level automatic rifle). My buddy showed up one range session with a truckbed full of WWII surplus in crates for the MG42. He got a deal on it and wanted to burn it up due to corrosion with the ammo. That old MG with old ammo still was still a dream to shoot! Rate of fire was crazy. Being able to covert it to a MG3 7.62 NATO is more appealing. My 2 cents about a beltfed.

I've run a bunch of pistol caliber subguns and even a simple Sterling runs good for what it is.

As far as select fire rifles go, I've played with many from numerous countries. Hard to say what I prefer as I can run the AR platform like a scalded dog but I would lean to an AK platform.

• 4 weeks later...

I wish I had a favorite machinegun setup!  :D

I did get to fire 2 full mags out of an MP5 (very nice, now I know why so many people love 'em), and 2 mags out of an M4 Carbine. I knew it was going have some recoil (I do own a .223 Colt rifle), so on the silhouette target I aimed at the right-hip area. Let off one quick burst that stitched the target diagonally up to the left shoulder!  wacko.png

The RO kind of chucled and said, "Well, at least they all hit the target." I gave him the evil eye, switched it to semi- and put 10 rounds in the head.

"Good enough for you?"  ;)

If you want to fire automatic weapons for free, I know a few recruiters that would be happy to talk to you! smile.png

agreed I retired at 45 so Im not poor but feeding my FA's I really cant afford, I reload my own to help cut the costs, but really cant afford to just pass my weapon to a guest to play with anymore

sold two FA's.....only one left now & its for "just in case"