Can't remove gas block

Hey, long time lurker...

Tried search, apologies if I didn't do that well enough.

I've had this rifle forever. Can't get the gas block off (haven't really tried till recently). Any advice before I apply brute force?

Saiga 7.62x39 "Sporter"

A53126D3-8FD4-430D-A43E-51434CBBB210_zps

Son and I were shooting it at the range last weekend, 100 yds off the iron sight, and got some good compliments.

Also, if you don't mind...how do I get that front stock/handguard off? Pry and it'll pop off?

Thanks,
Nev

Looks like you mean the gas tube, in which case, get the lever lined up right, and pull upwards on the tube towards the back, they're usually stiff when they're new.

To remove the handguard, take out the screw on the bottom of the receiver, and pull it forward, this'll be stiff too.

If you take the handguard off and are still finding the gastube hard to remove, as JoeAK said rotate the release lever until it allows the tube clearance, and then you can slip something between the barrel and the rear of the gastube and then carefully pry upward.

If it doesn't loosen up after a while, you can file or sand a tiny bit of material off the front to shorten it.

Salute.

Edited by Sim_Player

Looks like you mean the gas tube, in which case, get the lever lined up right, and pull upwards on the tube towards the back, they're usually stiff when they're new.

To remove the handguard, take out the screw on the bottom of the receiver, and pull it forward, this'll be stiff too.

Yes Sir, I've done both I think I just need to be a little stronger. Only screw is the sling ring in the front. Had it off. I'll try again. Thanks.

There is a flathead screw on the bottom front of the receiver, holding the guard on.

Nevermind, looks like you already removed it.

Grab the front of the guard and pull hard away from the barrel. Then, wiggle it out of the receiver.

That back screw holds it in back and the front is just snapped onto the barrel.

Edited by Sim_Player

If you take the handguard off and are still finding the gastube hard to remove, ...

Salute.

Yea, I need to get that handguard off. It's all plastic, no visible attachments beside the screw with that sling ring at the front. Had it off but didn't know where to pry. I'll try a forceful forward pull tomorrow.

Thanks

Edited by Nev

From the factory there are two screw's that holds the handguard in place. One at the very rear of the handguard on the bottom of the receiver. The other as you noticed is holding the sling swivel in place. 

Make sure you don't lose the sling m mount. They are usually pretty tightly crammed into the receiver so some force is needed. Maybe a flathead to pry it or a punch with hammer, or just grip it strong hand and yank the hell out of it forward towards the muzzle it will come off.

For the gas tube, not gas block, the lever you have up has a plane that at a certain position is flat allowing the rear of the tube to raise. As posted pull or pry it off.

Edited by beefcakeb0

The hand guard is held on by the screw at the receiver and a cross pin where the gas block is located. Remove the screw and tap the hand guard forward towards the end of the barrel with a rubber mallet. Do not try to pull it down until you have cleared the cross pin.

It sounds, doesn't sound, like there are two screws. And some pins. One screw, no pins I can see

D5545EF1-B1CB-4435-B156-1F10BCC59927_zps

AED7F5EE-4E70-41A8-BD47-2858DC7C5C4E_zps

Removing the hand guard...maybe on this one pry it apart close to the gas TUBE?

225F1F75-5118-40F3-9882-74B3F0B3D001_zps

FABE69E0-1EAB-4FA9-9CAA-CD7AEB35CF56_zps

I pried one side a bit. Looks like there's a notch or something just under the lip holding both sides on. Maybe, because it's plastic, spread it a bit, and push down and/or forward? If it helps knowing the model, my wife gave me this rifle a little over 20 years ago.

Adding on...

Now there's something ::rattle:: ::rattle:: last time I took the front ring off something must've came off on the inside; the screw won't catch on anything. A nut underneath? No prob, once I get the guard off, reinstall? Good reason to start upgrading?

D5545EF1-B1CB-4435-B156-1F10BCC59927_zps

Appreciate the patience and help. I've had this a long time. Just shoot it every so often (more frequently the last 5 years). Haven't taken it down past the basic. Have another .308 VEPR on the way because something about the AK I like. Anyhow...

OK,

Thanks

The cross pin is hidden on the interior of the hand guard. You do not have to remove the pin to remove the hand guard. Tap the hand guard forward like I suggested. 

I did see your earlier advice. Thank you. I now proceed slowly on things like this since most of my vast knowledge is based on screwing stuff up multiple times before getting it right.

It won't scrape the plastic, making it looser over time, pushing it forward?

Thanks

No! To be honest removing this handguard shouldn't be a two day project. What you hear rattling around is the threaded nut that the sling swivel bolt threads into. It sits flush inside the bottom of the handguard.   If you are saying that you didn't remove the bolt that holds the sling swivel then it must have been lost sometime. There's one through that hole as well as a flat one thought the receiver and handguard where they meet. If both are not present Just grab it and yank forward away from the receiver. If you are being really dainty stick something between the handguard and the base of the receiver and pry or knock it lose. 

It could actually be melted or fused on if you have never taken it off in 20 years and have done any mag dumps or lots of rapid fire. Or even just several long range trips heating the barrel and handguard. I've had them require some force after the plastic heated and stuck. Just yank it! Or beat it off with a hammer laugh.png take a punch to the flat side at the receiver and give it a few solid smacks switching sides.

Edited by beefcakeb0

Turn rifle so muzzle is pointed into carpet. Hold rifle tightly by the hand guard. Push hand guard down towards carpet. You can also lightly lift and tap the gun down a few times, muzzle end down, into the carpet. Hand guard should come right off.

• Like 2

Turn rifle so muzzle is pointed into carpet. Hold rifle tightly by the hand guard. Push hand guard down towards carpet. You can also lightly lift and tap the gun down a few times, muzzle end down, into the carpet. Hand guard should come right off.

Do this ^^

Once you get it off, you'll see the slots in the handguard for the pin to reside in that goes through the actual gas block. Your gas tube will then be much easier to remove once you get the hunk of plastic off. It will go back on in the reverse order.

flathead screwdriver from the bottom and wiggle it until it starts moving then use a dowel or wood block and tap it off.

Getting it off the first time is a PITA as its tight as hell. The gas tube lever has to be aligned correctly, if you look between the tube and block while you move the lever you'll see a flap of metal that holds it in place, this piece of metal needs to be parrelel to the gas tube, then just grab the tube and yank it off.

All of these things get easier after doing it a few times.

Got it!

Clearly I was overly timid. Collectively all opinions overly appreciated. What finally did it was popping one top side off the gas tube "pin", and using a tiny screwdriver shim on the other side to keep it separated, on the top, then it just tapped right off.

EC7999E2-1DBF-4CBB-A121-4C428D2615C9_zps

Oh and the gas tube looked like an old chimney. I oughta clean that out.

Edited by Nev