Copper Plated Lead Shot on Saiga 12K

Copper Plated Lead Shot

I use a Saiga 12K and was shopping for 00 Buckshot at a gunshow, and would like to ask what the difference is between regular lead shot and the copper plated shot? What is its effect on accurary and power? Does it wear out the barrel faster?

Thanks

Here in the Philippines they were just recently introduced. I was on my way to getting a Benelli M1S90 when I discovered a dealer importing them. Only 1 feature I don't like with this model is the safety activation when the stock is folded. Does anyone have an idea how to remove this link between the folding stock and the safety?

No sorry.....

I don't. We don't get much of a chance to look at anything like that here......

Read in my books, and catalogs that only a percentage of those had that type of safety.

I can only speak for the Saiga-12 line, as I didn't buy the manuals for .410, and S-20.....

They are probably the same though.

Maybe you should just tell yourself that that safety is helping you learn how to employ, and shoulder the weapon smoother, and faster.

Here in the Philippines they were just recently introduced. I was on my way to getting a Benelli M1S90 when I discovered a dealer importing them. Only 1 feature I don't like with this model is the safety activation when the stock is folded. Does anyone have an idea how to remove this link between the folding stock and the safety?

Send it to me and I'll fix it! :)

I've never seen that mechanism, but I know a guy with a 12C without the safety and he says that when he fires the shotgun with the stock folded the stock usually comes unlatched from the side and flops back. he says it's very annoying. That may be why they put that safety on there.

Copper Plated Lead Shot

I use a Saiga 12K and was shopping for 00 Buckshot at a gunshow, and would like to ask what the difference is between regular lead shot and the copper plated shot? What is its effect on accurary and power? Does it wear out the barrel faster?

Thanks

I like the Copper plated shot better...I seem to shoot better with it...It's also lots better on penatration...especially thru Windshield /safety glass......Thru personal experience...BB has more stopping power...the lead want's to spaltter..the CP BB keeps on go'n......Me & a crew member put a couple a rds thru a highly pitched {Sleek/angular} windshield that we "concieved" as trying to run us down...I like ta kind'a stick around when possible when some medic is digging my rd's out a people...[Yeah..Yeah..I know..weird quirk of mine]...& anyways...The only hits in his head were all mine {CP BB} My crewmate was use'n lead shot...Forensics found lot'sa flattened lead all over the dash & interior.. & in his pockets..heh-heh!

So...I got the point hit by my name...

Edited by StarLynx

There is a new "HeviShot" OO buckshot load coming out. I think the shot is some kind of tungston alloy. Should work better on vehicles. And probably better patterns. The copper plated buckshot is harder and doesnt deform as much in the barrel. It throws a tighter pattern because the shot is more streamlined. Regular buckshot comes out looking like little triangular shapes that dont fly straight.

What Ironhead said. The shot is recompressed/choked down on alot of barrels near the muzzle end prior to exitting. This causes shot deformation, then you tend to have more "fliers", pices that fly away from the general group of shot instead of a patteren that is more evenly spread/dispersed. Of coarse the more hardness that is added to the shot, the less shot deformation. The copper, and even nickle plating is not considered to cause extra wear on chromemoly barrels that are not chrome lined. Allthough some manafacters causion that steel, tungsten, bithsmouth can cause some accelarated wear. The Saiga barrel is hard chrome lined so I would think that the Saiga barrel would be even more durable in that way.

Edited by cscharlie
The copper, and even nickle plating is not considered to cause extra wear on chromemoly barrels that are not chrome lined. Allthough some manafacters causion that steel, tungsten, bithsmouth can cause some accelarated wear. The Saiga barrel is hard chrome lined so I would think that the Saiga barrel would be even more durable in that way.

I don't use 00 buck much, so it might be different, but all the light #7 and #8 shot shells I've been using have a cup type wadding so that the shot is fully enclosed and only the plastic wad makes contact with the barrel (as far as I can tell)

with that sort of wad, will the hardness of the shot even affect the barrel?

The copper, and even nickle plating is not considered to cause extra wear on chromemoly barrels that are not chrome lined. Allthough some manafacters causion that steel, tungsten, bithsmouth can cause some accelarated wear. The Saiga barrel is hard chrome lined so I would think that the Saiga barrel would be even more durable in that way.

I don't use 00 buck much, so it might be different, but all the light #7 and #8 shot shells I've been using have a cup type wadding so that the shot is fully enclosed and only the plastic wad makes contact with the barrel (as far as I can tell)

with that sort of wad, will the hardness of the shot even affect the barrel?

[/quote

Have you ever tried Hevi-shot? I would like to get some feedback from someone that is using it. Where do you buy your cup type wadding? I know that some manufactuers are using shot cup technology, I didn't know that it was available for reloading.

TacticalResponse:

I don't do reloading, o I can't answer all of your questions.

All I know is that the wad from a shell I cut open is shapped like a cup/cylinder with 4 slits up the side, and after I've been shooting in the back yard, I can find spent wads that look like mangled versions of the same.

with the wad like that, I wouldn't think any of the shot projectile actually makes contact with the barrel's wall.

post-2109-1137313445_thumb.jpg

Yes, that a standard type wad for shotshells.

I did some checking on the internet and it seems that remington is the only one making cup wads for reloading. Cup wads along with Hevi-shot, Powered by Hodgdon longshot powder has me thinking. Everything does not always go together for shotshell reloading. I'm looking for a cup wad that will work for high velocity loads, and I don't know if the Remington cup wad can be used. The only solution would be to call one of their techs.