New 1 piece aluminum lower

Trust me I was ready to pounce.. We had some winds as well.. I kept watching closely! :)

You are right, the action feels so much better with the SAS lower, the rounds feed smoothly. Can't wait to get out and put it to the real test.

(I haven't had a chance to shoot it since doing any of the mods including the Trij RX30).

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

http://www.sasfirear...vlet/StoreFront I figured this deserved its own thread. I spoke with Tony and he informed me that this lower will come with the safety selector, spring and detent, anti walk p

What cracks me up about Jim is he is so worried about people stealing a design that wasn't even his to start with( aluminum AR lower), but then turns around and steals the pontiac Firebird logo and e

The upper receiver needs something to attach to. While I MAY have done it differently, I haven't seen the finished product yet, and I'm sure they have good reason why.

Posted Images

NM just saw the assembly video on page 4 on this thread. Looks like more or less the same effort to separate the upper and lower.

That's too bad. Was hoping this lower receiver would incorporate the feed ramp lever from the BR99 design. That would allow you to remove barrel and bolt for cleaning without separating the receivers.

The only complaint was that the brownells spring was a bit "soft". I like a very sharp snap into safe and fire. I had another spring laying around

so I switched it out and now it snaps.

Hey folks.  I've never owned an AR so I don't know about these springs.  Are there different "grades" you can buy (stiffer vs softer)?   What should I look for if I want that crisper feel you describe?

I'm finally going to get a break from work this weekend to assemble my new lower to my MKA.  I'll just use the supplied spring for now.

Edited by yamadog35

Yamadog,

Wish I knew how to give you an answer to this question. My Del-Ton Echo 316 has a "crisp" safety selector, my S&W 15-22 has an upgraded Battle Arms Ambi Safety and it's crisp

as well. The brownells spring seems a bit soft to me. I used the original spring out of my 15-22 to replace the brownells spring and now it clicks firmly.

So I guess maybe just buy a few from different places and one may be stiffer than another . . .   They're cheap enough so that won't hurt too bad.    Thanks!

I just got the old parts stripped out of my poly lower.  I should have the new lower together tomorrow morning.  Hoping to get it to the range Sunday or Monday.

Stretching a spring does not change the spring rate (how stiff the spring is) and will just ultimately fatigue the spring and cause it to fail. If you want

a spring with more tension, you need to buy a spring that is wound with thicker steel, has more loops or different material properties.

Stretching a spring does not change the spring rate (how stiff the spring is) and will just ultimately fatigue the spring and cause it to fail. If you want

a spring with more tension, you need to buy a spring that is wound with thicker steel, has more loops or different material properties.

Less coils = higher spring rate

More coils =lower spring rate

Get it right if you are going to give advice

Jim

Thanks for the correction Jim, but the number of coils alone only have an impact if the material is exactly the same.

There are numerous other things that have an impact on the rate as I mentioned. But you are correct, the number

of coils certainly will change the rate given the same exact material.

Finally got a little time to assemble my lower today.  Everything went together pretty will except for the magazine catch "bar".  I found mine was not consistent thickness so it did not want to slide into the slot in the lower.  I had to carefully file off some high spots and attempt to get the sides parallel.  After a bit of tweaking it now operates as it should.  I was already using the T&N trigger group so that is what went into my lower.  No problems there.  As others have noted, the safety operation is a bit mushy.  I will try a different spring and hopefully it will get a bit more crisp.  Overall fit and finish is good.  I'm hoping to get to the range Thursday or Friday this week to try it out. 

MKA_SAS_2_zps6fdc9855.jpg

MKA_SAS_1_zps69dbfc74.jpg

Edited by yamadog35

Looks great Yama! I see I was not the only one with a horribly shaped mag catch bar.. I suggested to SAS they make a nice steel billet Mag Catch setup (maybe ambi?) and

a whole new Fire Control Group would be nice as well!

Yeah that Brownells AR spring is really soft.... It's not a dimensional issue either, the safety detent hole is the same depth and location as a standard AR, I just think Brownells

has a bad batch of springs.

• 4 months later...

Its about time to get some finished pictures up of my mka. I have shot it since april 8 due to bein burned of 40% of my body. Mainly the right side. Im recovering very well but have a long way to go. But when I did shot the mka with the sas lower it felt great and shot flawless. Not one feed or eject problem. Gun ran really smooth. Im all most up to strength again to shot. When I go home from the hospital I couldnt hold the gun up, it was to heavy. But anyway on to pics

Ok so after typing all this the pics of the mka were on my old phone. So ill have to take some later but for now here is a mosin nagat I just finished building

20140815_204245_zpsuxkvv4na.jpg

First of all, wow, hope you get all better soon or as much as you can be.

Second, that is a nice looking Mosin build.  Is that a Center Balanced Systems kit?  I've become a bit of a bullpup nut with a Tavor, KSG, and several others.  I've thought about doing a CBRPS build at some point.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Ok ladies and gents. I am new to the forum but have a serious question. I have read most of this thread so i hope i dont start a war with this one. I have owned a XN for over two years now and i think its time to upgrade. I am curious about the main differences of these two lowers. from what i have read it seams like the SAS lower which may or may not be the same lower T&N sells comes in around 350 ready to go. Now the one from FBP is 375 but might also need some added parts internals and stuff to make it work. The kit they sell is 199 is this info correct or are my assumptions wrong. No i think both pieces are fairly priced and extremely good looking products so please dont rip on me or others over this just trying to figure this all out. 

T&N sells the SAS lower because that's where I got mine.biggrin.png   Yes, it's pretty much ready to go but I decided to install their trigger group as well to make my MKA 922R compliant.  I don't think you can go wrong with either lower, the SAS lower just looks better IMHO.cool.png