This is the third deer I've shot with my .308 this year. It is the first one that didn't drop in it's tracks. The first shot hit right behind the shoulder. The second shot was fired while the deer was running. You can see in the picture where it hit him in the spine. It's not a monster buck, but that sure is a nice rifle in the pic! :up:

post-793-1137117275_thumb.jpg

Edited by jtoddellis

what kinda ammo you use?

I'm not a hunter, but I heard some newbs will go out with 168gr BTHP federal gold match and that its not such a good hunting round... (that's prolly what I would've done before I heard the horror stories!)

So what do you use? what was the range? DETAILS!!!!

Nice! Good shootin' & congrats! Meat in the freezer! I only piled up 2 this year. I had to process 4 of 'em though for some reason. <_< (Still processing)

I shot my buck in the neck with my S-20 - 50 yards with open sights. Dropped on the spot.

post-2093-1137122328_thumb.jpg

:smoke:

what kinda ammo you use?

I'm not a hunter, but I heard some newbs will go out with 168gr BTHP federal gold match and that its not such a good hunting round... (that's prolly what I would've done before I heard the horror stories!)

So what do you use? what was the range? DETAILS!!!!

I use 150 grain Remington Cor-Lokt. I've been using them in my Saiga for a couple of years and have had pretty good luck. I don't think he would have run far if I would have let him go after the first shot. The shot exploded his leg when it came out the other side. He was probably about 30 yards from me. The other two deer I've shot this year dropped right where they stood. I shot a doe last year at about 40 yards. The shot knocked her down on her back. She then jumped right back to her feet and just stood there like nothing had happened. I shot her the second time in the head.

I used the Remington Core Lockt stuff myself this fall to take my bear. I would have to check the box again to see what weight I was using.

This guy dressed out at 330 pounds so we figure he was about 400 before gutting. I took his heart out and he ran about 20 yards before dropping.

orange.jpg

gripgrin.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Holy crap dude. It looks like you shot someone's black lab retreiver. I had to look at it 2x before I realised it was a bear.

Man you guys have all the fun. here in so cal hunting blows. i gotta go to my bro in laws up in northern cal to go hunting which I dont mind cause I get to see them and get a vacation

Rob