Who has the highest round count?

I bought my first Saiga in 2010 I think, it quickly became my favorite x39 rifle, while my round count is probably low, I know I've shot at least 2160 rounds of yugo through it and probably another 1000 random steel cased rounds.

it feels smoother than my 500 round count saiga haha.gif

So who has put the most rounds through theirs?

Nowhere near the highest, but I have 3,234 rounds through my 7.62x39, and 2,553 through my S-12.

Yes, I count.

Ok if you count... How long have you own each gun? How do you count each round? When my dad came up, a case of shells was opened and a case of clays, we went at it till we were bored. Somewhere between 50 and 150 rounds were fired, maybe more maybe less? I have over 1k shotshells right now. Same thing with my other saiga, my .223 I will honestly put 20rd boxes through it over and over, don't keep track, I reclaim about 3/5ths of my brass so I could count that on the .223. Where we shoot clays most of the hulls go off a cliff. I've put cases of ammo through the s12, many boxes of .223 through the saiga-m 223

The round count through any one of my guns is in the hundreds, not thousands, right now.

I suspect that most people don't keep track of how many rounds they shoot.

Hearing a claim of 10,000 rnds through a (chrome barreled?) Chinese AK gives me confidence.

Edited by Sim_Player

Had the 7.62 since 2010, and the S-12 since summer of 2012. I counted by the number of boxes I took to the range, whether or not I came back with any, and if I shot some of someone else's ammo, made a mental note of that.

Most of the ranges I frequent only allow one round in the gun, at a time.

At that rate, it will be years before I hit the 1000 rnd mark.

Your location tag says PNW. Get the hell out of those terrible ranges. Seriously, you can't learn follow up shooting like that. Idiot ranges like that tend to be the places that lobby to close down free public shooting areas. They need to go out of business.

I guarante that there is somewhere within 40 minutes of any location in the PNW where you can shoot however you want on public land. You can probably even find a place that will only have you and whoever you bring, so safety is going to be better than any slow fire only range could ever hope for. 

p.s. it's no 7.62x 39 AK, but I found this thread inspirational. I save my primer sleeves as a round count estimator now.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?156622-75-000-Wadcutters-in-a-Model-27

I've heard that the bi-metal bullets will wear a barrel out faster but, with some of the numbers being posted, it sounds like that may not be entirely true.

When I take the time to really clean clean it good, my barrel still looks new.

Haven't kept count on the 7.62, but based on ammo orders I know I've completely shot through, it's around ~2300.

IIRC my 5.45 is sitting at 2876rds.

I'm in the same boat.  Never counted but I know I've bought at least a couple of 1K boxes of x39 each year for the past 5 years.  Sprinkled in there over the years was impulse buying of good deals on 640 spam cans.

The IZ-132 has eaten almost all of it.  I just ran a 10 person range outing beforce xmas.  The IZ-132 had 500 rounds through it in less than an hour and that wasn't my ammo.

That rifle is definitely over the 10K mark.

Edit---

I do feel the barrel has taken a beating.  Comparing that barrel to a relatively new x39 barrel(anything under 1K) the rifling is not as bright.  There also looks to be tiny "scratches."  Rifling is still predominant.  Just not as sharp or shinny.

That being said I'll still get fist size groups at 100 yards which is a result of my poor shooting.  The rifle still is more accurate than I can shoot.

Edited by jamesavery22

The round count through any one of my guns is in the hundreds, not thousands, right now.

I suspect that most people don't keep track of how many rounds they shoot.

Hearing a claim of 10,000 rnds through a (chrome barreled?) Chinese AK gives me confidence.

Yep. Chrome. About 1500 of those round where corrosive. The rest were tul, wolf, herters, etc. Edited by Ethan M

What will 10k rounds do to a barrel?

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

That's a great read.  Apples to oranges though. x39 being a lower pressure/velocity and barrels coming from different countries.  Lucky's test is beyond a torture test.  No one is going through 10K rounds in the time frame that they did.

At 10K my rifling looks immaculate compared to their pictures of the rifling or lack of.

those guys destroyed those barrels by overheating them. they even mention that the receiver got hot enough to discolor the casing of the optics.

you won't ever destroy a barrel like that by going through thousand of rounds of bimetal ammo over the course of YEARS

• Like 2