I was asked to pick to some ammo for a friend when I was on the road two days ago. I never buy  ammo from Walmart but he was in a pinch so I said okay. Walmart only lets you buy 3 boxes, so in my travels I went to 3 stores.  $7.95 per box at the first store and $10.75 per box at the next two stores.  Same Federal 223 AR ammo. Strange? 

My understanding is that the manager sets the pricing.. It can only go so low unless its being clearanced, but they can increase to get more profit.

My local walmart (Deland store) normally clearances the hunting ammo at the end of hunting season..

I have a case of 3" 2 ounce turkey loads that I got for 20 cents a round back a few years ago.

Often times small towns with a lot of hunting have the worst prices on ammo.

I can buy online, walmart, or at a gunshop that sells ammo with walmart stickers still on it.

• Like 1

you guys n this walmart!!!!!! go to a LGS

I don't mean to sound cold but, if a business can't compete, in today's market, it will disappear.

The last LGS/FFL I did business with held my new Saiga in their store for two extra days because the manager was too busy to do the paperwork.

Another FFL told me that they may have violated Fed Law, regarding the time that they are allowed to "hold" a transfer. Don't know if it was true but, that left a really bad impression on me.

Edited by Sim_Player
  • Like 1

3 walmarts, about to get 4. Each has pricing different on certain items from almonds to ammo. Also some items carried at one, not at other. 2 now and 1 being built in blue collar area, 1 in shopping, strip malls, and snob area is higher and don't carry near the firearm/ammo related items.

The three local Walmarts I hit have Tula 7.62 equally priced and it is cheaper than all the local gun stores who think that shit is exotic and worth the weight in gold. Plus the LGS doesn't have Tula 100 rd bulk packs anyway. I can find anything cheaper on the net than a LGS can match apart from my local one who has MIL/LEO pricing on Glocks and SW. Nobody can come close to their pricing on those weapons.

the Walmart nearest me sells Wolf at near online MSRP, so I'll buy a few boxes when I go in to get oil. those are really the only two things I'll buy at Walmart - ammo and auto fluids.

Costco has great prices on motor oil.

they do, but selection sucks. I do buy Mobil 1, Delo 400 and sometimes ATF there. if I want any special ATF or gear oil, it's an auto store of Walmart.

you guys n this walmart!!!!!! go to a LGS

I'll pass. The local gun stores around here have prices way too high on ammo. If I can buy ammo at Walmart for half the price (or less) a lgs has it for, I'm going to Walmart. I have to drive about 40 miles to find a gun store with half way decent prices on ammo. Last time I was in a local gun store (about 2 weeks ago) they wanted 18 dollars for a 20 rd box of federal 223. Wasn't a special ammo (no gold), just plain 55 grain fmj

Edited by Ethan M
  • Like 1

I know there are many divergent opinions on the merits of, and qualms with purchasing from WM and other corporate chain stores versus lgs.  I won't pretend to have all the angles straightened out (I'm no economist), but I'll agree with many of the above posters on one aspect - paying 2x what something is worth (or the median current low rate) is not very attractive to my pocketbook. 

It is important to support local stores for numerous reasons, the obvious one being that the more corporations we buy from who send our $$ out of the country, the more our local and national economy suffers.  Also, many of these corporations who offer lower prices on ammo are known contributors to anti-2A efforts.   

That being said, price-gouging is absolute bullshit.  Last winter I purchased almost exclusively from an lgs who kept his prices reasonable and fair, so I can attest to the fact that this can be feasible for a business.  In fact, I think these local dealers would see their business soar if they offered competitive rates, as all of us who are not billionaires and actually want to support local businesses in the firearms community would flock to them.  I get it.  Joe Smith who just bought a handgun will spend that much because he doesn't know what it should be worth.  Joe Smith is really important because he represents one more enlightened soul who has realized the gravity of taking one's personal protection and liberty into one's own hands.  But it kinda feels like a slap in the face to expect me to pay $10 for a box of Tul. 

• Like 2

Before all the price gouging and the panic i used to go to a lgs and id happily pay 5.50/box of tula x39 even if i could get it cheaper at walmart because i wanted to support local business. If there had been a lgs here that didnt jack prices i would have continued to do so. After seeing one lgs try to sell a 10$ tapco mag for 75$, i wrote them off similarly as i have ctd. Now i buy in bulk online, and if i want to just grab a couple boxes to shoot with friends ill go to walmart.

$75 for a Tapco??  Man, that's unbelievable.  Actually, I can believe it.  Even the surplus stores around here were trying to sell them for nearly $30.   

I know not everyone has a Cabela's in the area, but some of their ammo *cough7.62* is still 'reasonably' priced, and they have demonstrated, despite being a large corporation, a strong stance in supporting 2A rights. 

As I've said before, CTD can go fuck themselves.  "Whoa, actually, we don't sell 'black rifles'...price gouging aside. 

• Like 2

I have to say this, that the three box max per day is a good thing. It gives others a chance at some ammo.

I always by in bulk on line but its nice to see the walmart has ammo on the shelf, No 22LR though

I have to say this, that the three box max per day is a good thing. It gives others a chance at some ammo.

I always by in bulk on line but its nice to see the walmart has ammo on the shelf, No 22LR though

The last time I got wally-world ammo was .22lr bulk cases of 1000. Haven't seen them again since