The citizens of many states need to do what we did here in Alabama.

A small but persistent group of us belonging to Alabama Open Carry, worked for several years to successfully push through a new law strictly defining Disorderly Conduct, and making it 100% clear that legal Open Carry of longarms/sidearms, can not be construed as Disorderly Conduct.

To be acting lawfully and still be charged with a crime is tyranny.

• Like 12

The police need to know the laws. This is bullshit. People shouldnt be allowed to be labeled law enforcement when they dont know the laws they are supposed to enforce. I can see them stopping him and seeing what he's about, but if he's acting well within his rights, and lawfully, theres no reason for an arrest.

Shit like this is what puts a bad taste in peoples mouth about LEO's.

boy, you guys are clueless when it come to chiefs of police.

first off they are not in any sense of the words "law enforcement".  chiefs are appointed by the mayor then are OK by the city counsel.  they are political hacks that only got that job because they are cronies of the  mayor and are rubber stamped by the city  counsels  and will do things that will "pleases" the powers that put him there. law enforcement, or upholding the laws don't even come into the equation and never has

if you want to know what kind of mayor that town has, go to the Andrews, tx. website and read the bio for yourself

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • Like 1

The police need to know the laws. This is bullshit. People shouldnt be allowed to be labeled law enforcement when they dont know the laws they are supposed to enforce. I can see them stopping him and seeing what he's about, but if he's acting well within his rights, and lawfully, theres no reason for an arrest.

Shit like this is what puts a bad taste in peoples mouth about LEO's.

It's not about the LAW any more, it's about you getting in line and staying there, where you belong.

If you use a curse word (fuck damn shit piss prick bitch etc....) you will most likely be arrested for "verbal abuse". so we really have no rights anymore, we live in a police state where if they say it's the law, then that's the way it is, and if you say another word you will be arrested for disorderly conduct. They are disarming us more and more all the time, they don't fear or respect us any more. They have turned us all into sheep for their slaughter and/or amusement.

first off they are not in any sense of the words "law enforcement".  chiefs are appointed by the mayor then are OK by the city counsel.  they are political hacks that only got that job because they are cronies of the  mayor and are rubber stamped by the city  counsels  and will do things that will "pleases" the powers that put him there. law enforcement, or upholding the laws don't even come into the equation and never has

if you want to know what kind of mayor that town has, go to the Andrews, tx. website and read the bio for yourself

Who said anything about the Chief? I was simply referring to the actions of the arresting officers, which according to the article, shouldnt have arrested the individual in question.

First Off, I always open carry. I pulled up at the place that does my sandblasting and a new guy came out to unload me, he saw my gun and wanted to talk. He informed me that his wife's brother was a county sheriff and that I would be arrested for open carry in Walker County, we proceeded to have a "discussion" about my "illegal" actions. He said that his brother in-law told him that he was instructed by the Sheriff to arrest anyone open carrying a pistol, that the Sheriff "would not allow it in HIS county". I then informed him that this was not HIS county, it was ours, and that state law trumped anything else, and if he didn't believe me to ask his brother in-law and then to ask the sheriff, well, about 1 week later I see him again, and he has a big shit eating grin on his face, he says that his brother in-law said that they know the state law, but most people don't, so they screw with them and get the money for the fines. He now carries open, and has always had a concealed carry permit, just as I. I have even had the local PD ride thru my parking lot when I'm unloading trucks or loading my own truck, I just wave and smile, even had people from the business next door call and report me for being outside with my gun on my side and they don't even stop. Open Carry here was NEVER illegal, but the Po Po tried to make it seem it was, the law dates back to the 1800's, but they used the disorderly conduct rule to mess with you, BUT, if a business has a sign that states NO OPEN CARRY, and you go in OPEN, they can get you. EVERYONE that comes into my shop knows that open carry is what I prefer, I do, why shouldn't you??????????

First Off, I always open carry. I pulled up at the place that does my sandblasting and a new guy came out to unload me, he saw my gun and wanted to talk. He informed me that his wife's brother was a county sheriff and that I would be arrested for open carry in Walker County, we proceeded to have a "discussion" about my "illegal" actions. He said that his brother in-law told him that he was instructed by the Sheriff to arrest anyone open carrying a pistol, that the Sheriff "would not allow it in HIS county". I then informed him that this was not HIS county, it was ours, and that state law trumped anything else, and if he didn't believe me to ask his brother in-law and then to ask the sheriff, well, about 1 week later I see him again, and he has a big shit eating grin on his face, he says that his brother in-law said that they know the state law, but most people don't, so they screw with them and get the money for the fines. He now carries open, and has always had a concealed carry permit, just as I. I have even had the local PD ride thru my parking lot when I'm unloading trucks or loading my own truck, I just wave and smile, even had people from the business next door call and report me for being outside with my gun on my side and they don't even stop. Open Carry here was NEVER illegal, but the Po Po tried to make it seem it was, the law dates back to the 1800's, but they used the disorderly conduct rule to mess with you, BUT, if a business has a sign that states NO OPEN CARRY, and you go in OPEN, they can get you. EVERYONE that comes into my shop knows that open carry is what I prefer, I do, why shouldn't you??????????

But.....the police can only cite you for trespassing and only if the business asked you to leave and you refused. There is no gun related charge.

Not necessarily. I personally know Chiefs of Police throughout the country and their position was gained by kicking ass and taking names, (and inmates), not sucking the Mayor's dick. Isolated situations with proof are one thing, but if you don't know the entire story about some of these guys who are Veteran Law Enforcement Officers, keep your mouth shut about what you know nothing about besides what you read on the net.

• Like 1

That depends on the state's laws and/or local.

I don't pretend to know the laws of every city or state but I do know that the basis for  a business to be able to ban guns is simply their general right to refuse service to anyone they choose except for reasons of discrimination of a protected class. It's just like a store that doesn't allow pets. If it is posted that no pets are allowed and you bring one in anyway you haven't broken any laws yet, you have broken store policy and the owner has a right to ask you to leave. If you don't, now you are trespassing. If you do, you have complied and no laws are broken. This is how it almost always works but if their are exceptions then I stand corrected.

• Like 1

Or we need more of this to happen:

http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/bellingham-man-wins-15000-settlement-after-city-co/nZPdj/

Happened in my home town.  WA is a very liberal state (well, the West side of it is anyway) and Bellingham is where all the hippies went after the 60s...

Dang. I wish that hadn't settled. I wish the precedent would have been established.

Also, that cop needs to be charged with felony assault. You would be if you mistakenly shoved a gun in someone's chest without both subjective and reasonable fear of your life.

Depends on where you live. Sometimes they are appointed, some places choose them differnenty. On the whole their job is two fold: 1 get money for the department, 2  make policies to keep the cops from getting the department in trouble. Actual law enforcement is really managed further down the administrative chain. That's part of why I tend to roll my eyes whenever I hear the news cite a press release from some group with a name like "Police chiefs of america" as if the group somehow represents a consensus of law enforcement opinion.

Lets not forget the catchall law that can be a problem in many states. "Inciting panic" 

These remind me a lot of some of the 1960s cases for disorderly conduct and similar terms which were based on reasoning like- 'people in the nice part of town get upset when you walk here while black. So we're going to book you for a public disturbance.'  Now those cases are archetypes of unconstitutional vagueness. I think a lot of obstruction like charges are vulnerable to a challenge "as applied" at least.

It's pretty much blackletter that one person cannot be charged for another person's reaction to legal conduct. Even statements like " I think someone oughta kill politician X" in public are protected under 1A, as long as they aren't an incitement to immediate action to people who have the capability of following up. i.e. politician X is in the same crowd... So it's kinda bizarre that they can get away with this kind of thing to me.

I find it rather amusing that we are "allowed" (yes, in their eyes they give us permission) to buy as many guns as we want, yet we are supposed to hide in the shadows with them at all times.  The guys that are open carrying with a gay fucking chamber flag are certainly nothing to be afraid of.  It's the mother fucker with the trench coat ya gotta worry about, haha...

I choose to CC as I don't really have the tolerance for the bull shit that comes with open carry.  But!  When I come up with the coin to get the 1911 I've been eyeballing for years, that weapon will be open carried just because I think the gun looks cool as hell.

This discussion could go on for days.  Our rights are being trampled on so many levels it's not even funny.

• Like 1

It seems to me that the person who is OC legally should not be charged with anything.

It's the clueless moron who starts screaming, "OMG he's got a gun!" and calls 911 and the local news... THAT person should be charged with Inciting Panic. :angry:

I don't OC either, both for tactical reasons, and to avoid these headaches.

• Like 2

LOE's do not like open carry because of the complaints and the fact that it is in direct parallel with what they do ( in their opinion).

They feel they have gone to school to carry a gun and you have not. Never mind the 2nd amend of the constitution that they swore to uphold.

Keep it up ! and John that means even when it looks cool as well. We do not need a reason to carry we have the law and that is reason enough.

Edited by jerry52

LOE's do not like open carry because of the complaints and the fact that it is in direct parallel with what they do ( in their opinion).

They feel they have gone to school to carry a gun and you have not. Never mind the 2nd amend of the constitution that they swore to uphold.

Keep it up ! and John that means even when it looks cool as well. We do not need a reason to carry we have the law and that is reason enough.

There is no doubt that there are many cops who think that open carry is a privilege reserved only for them. That plays into many of these confrontations. You can just tell that many of them take it personally.

This is what scares me about this country.  I CC and have a license.  I have a wife that doesn't work (on purpose) and two small children.  If I get arrested and locked up, who will take care of them?  If we are confronted and I can't protect them, then wtf?  I have always been a law abiding citizen, and this shit just infuriates me.  When will it stop?  OC, CC, just seems like it is up to whatever the local LEO's want to enforce.  This country and my beloved Texas is going down the crapper fast.  'Game over dude, Game Over!'

• Like 1

I find it rather amusing that we are "allowed" (yes, in their eyes they give us permission) to buy as many guns as we want, yet we are supposed to hide in the shadows with them at all times.  The guys that are open carrying with a gay fucking chamber flag are certainly nothing to be afraid of.  It's the mother fucker with the trench coat ya gotta worry about, haha...

I choose to CC as I don't really have the tolerance for the bull shit that comes with open carry.  But!  When I come up with the coin to get the 1911 I've been eyeballing for years, that weapon will be open carried just because I think the gun looks cool as hell.

This discussion could go on for days.  Our rights are being trampled on so many levels it's not even funny.

Bah on trench coats get a good duster, have a black leather one I had since the 90s and it beats the hell out of some k-mart trench coat.

secret_smile.gif

• Like 1