Is this too much scope for this gun?

A scope with that power will out perform the cartridge your shooting with it. You can score hits at 200 with the x39, but that scope is better suited for .308 and above. But run it if you want, it wont hurt.

I ran a Leupold 3-9x40 on my 10/22 for a while before selling it.

• Like 1

I agree with capt. here, that's a lotta scope man! I have a 1-4 on my 7.62x39 and it does well for targets and hunting. At 6x on the low end, taking aim at a deer at 30yards or so would prove problematic, you'd be zoomed in so far all you'll see is a wall of fur. You could take the scope off of course but that time spent doing so could mean the difference between meal and no meal lol.

I also have a 2.5-10 on my saiga 308, pretty happy with the low end vs high end on that as well. Does well for target and hunting, but you'll never see me shooting prarrie dogs at 400 yards with either gun. I think scopes with that kind of magnification do very well on bolt guns shooting extremely long distances or at extremely small targets--or both. Ymmv.

• Like 2

I ran a Leupold 3-9x40 on my 10/22 for a while before selling it.

That is understandable.

It was still a tad overkill for me. lol.  I would have preferred 7x at the most. At full power, it was fairly difficult to track game in the scope, as the FOV was not great at 100yds. On the lower end it worked great. But for dead targets, it was nice to be able to get precise with it at 9x.

I tend to used anything over 6x for spotting, not for aiming, unless target shooting. Then the FOV doesn't come in to play.

On a 3x9X scope with a duplex reticle, you set it at 4x to estimate yardage, IF you understand how to use the scope.

At 4x the size of an adult deer body will fit between the heavier part of the duplex reticle at 100 yards..... from the crosshair to the duplex... 200 yards, etc. Basic estimating range finder, if you get it.

• Like 1

Use what you like... scopes don't help us shoot better, they help us see better, and if a 6-18x helps you see that coyote or deer better, then there ya go.

I can shoot just fine at 200 with a 4x, and a 9x is even better for picking out what's what in thick brush (after verifying that it isn't two-legged using bino's, of course ;)).

If I were using the rifle like you are (coyotes/deer to 200), I'd opt for a 3-9x or even a 4-12x. Enough high end without giving up low end.

• 2 weeks later...

There is NO SUCH THING as too much scope...

The only thing that will define what scope to stick on any firearm is the depth of your bank account...

If you wanna be UP CLOSE and PERSONAL... be up close!!!!

Some people want low power for hunting... Thats fine. and it works for THEM.

I like LOWER power for hunting, and STUPID high power for target shooting. I have a 10-40 power on my Ruger 10/22 TNZ... and I can zoom right in and shoot the hairs of a flies' nuts at 50 yards!!!! Because I WANT that magnification and power... is it too much scope??? Not a fucking chance!  would I use that setup for squirrel hunting?? Absolutely not!

If that optic works for YOU in the situations YOU need it to... you are all set. dont ask the peanut gallery here who have no clue what YOU are doing with YOUR GUN... :up:  :lol:

:smoke:

The only real problem with a scope with magnification that high, is using a BDC with it. You should be able to score hits at 500-600, as long as you can compensate for the x39's rainbow trajectory. That scope is good for long shots, and it can be done with this round, but you will need to set an appropriate zero, use appropriate ammo, and probably keep records on settings.