Need some help identifying a few things

A friend of mine gave me a few 22-250 rounds that his old gunsmith made him but never gave him the recipe for them before he died. 

so i took one apart so far and got the initial data:

C.O.L= ranges from 2.377 - 2.400

35.3gr of a ball type powder

looks like a 55gr hornady #2265 SP or a #2260 SPSX

any help will be great as to what the powder is, or could be.

ill try to get some velocity data, but not sure when that would happen.

on a side note any one know a good lead free 22-250 load?

If its only a FEW ROUNDS... Why not just shoot them for fun, say... at cans... or targets...  then reload the brass and not worry about it...???

It will be nigh inpossible to determine WHAT powder specifically you have unless you are a chemist, and have the exact recipe from one of the SEVERAL powder manufacturers out there... Hodgdon/IMR/Winchester, Alliant, vihtavouri, Accurate, ramshot, etc... HOw could you know WHICH manufacture of powder is in those specific rounds??  Even at that weight, and using hodgdon data it could be one of 4 to 6 different powders... :unsure:

Look in a lead free bullet manufacturers manual for load data... and then figure out *IF* any of those loads will shoot well out of YOUR specific rifle... cause chances are you will need to tweak load data to get the best performance from your firearm. 

EVERY load/firearm combination is different... you need to figure out what YOUR firearm LIKES BEST... :up:

very true indy,

after i posted that, i thought a little more and come to the conclusion that it would be darn near impossible to find what powder was used, and the best way to go about it is to get a chronograph and get the velocity these are going and duplicate the results with a new powder. 

and of course im going to shoot and reload these rounds. what the fun at just looking at them? shouldnt let good things go to waist ;)

What you really are deciding is whether or not you trust the guy who reloaded them.  I personally won't shoot other people's reloads, but it's your choice.

This can be true... I think it also depends on HOW well you know the person, and how much you trust them, as well as how much fait/trust you have in their reloading care/ability/precision/experience. I have a couple friends who trust my reloads, and buy them from me frequently... and they swear by them as the best they can get...  Would I load for just anyone? Nope... Just a VERY FEW close friends... 032.gif