I give you the R.I.P. bullet.

According to the maker: "...is designed to take out all your vital organs.”

I expect legislation to ban it will be introduced within 3 months.

post-4831-0-40201400-1390972821_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Winchester just changed the packaging, the name, and removed the Lubalox coating from them.  You can still buy them.  They're Called Ranger SXTs   We've spent all this time making bullets that maint

I'll stick with standard hollow-points or even FMJ (for penetration).   Until it proves it's worth, it's just a gimmick.

Yep, light bullet moving fast expanding faster= no penetration. Here's last year's last bullet you will ever buy, and the same idea with less showy milling: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFmzbAlKUgA

Posted Images

It comes out of the shoulder thingy that goes up?

$50ish for 20ct.

Holy shite, that's taking it up something alright but I don't think it's the shoulder thingy.

Machined from a solid piece of copper. Not gonna be cheap are they?post-39558-0-60311600-1390974576_thumb.jpg

I expect law suits from people getting hurt just loading that nasty booger.

Some guys at one of my LGS' have a big boner over this stuff.  I bought a box for my home defense weapon as I figure it will hurt Mr. Badguy without over penetration within the constraints of a home.  But I carry Hornaday Civil Defense at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=T_hZMZM1l04

Edited by Big John!

Maybe not banned, but it'll probably end up like Black Talon.

Winchester pulled the Black Talon before it could be banned.  There were still places like SF that did ban the BT.

Iirc, didn’t the Black Talon's jacket splay outward, rather than mushroom, forming more of jagged star shape that shredded internals. ER docs were a major push for the ban cause they were loosing more wounded on the way in or on the table. I do see this going the same route. And ya, if it'll penetrate the relatively hard shell of a pumpkin and fragment that much, whats the chance of them over penetrating a human body and fragging out the backside? Lot of potential problems, but thats just my thoughts.

Maybe not banned, but it'll probably end up like Black Talon.

Winchester pulled the Black Talon before it could be banned.  There were still places like SF that did ban the BT.

Winchester just changed the packaging, the name, and removed the Lubalox coating from them.  You can still buy them.  They're Called Ranger SXTs

We've spent all this time making bullets that maintain their mass under balistic conditions so as to penetrate further and be more effective.  This RIP bullet seems to be the antithesis of that concept.

Edited by Jigen
  • Like 5

Yes yes we all know that SXT stands for Same eXact Thing.  Winchester pulled the name Black Talon.

It's a good thing we have so many fact checkers around here ready to pounce if you leave out the slightest detail.

Time will tell.

From the gel block tests Ive seen fragments can, on an outer body or extremity hit, exit and fly off in a rather unpredictable manner.

Penetration looks reasonable.

Body armor just made a move up on the priority list.

• Like 1

Yep....a somewhat non secure political future with this one.  However....FWIW, people have been shooting people with expanding bar, chain, telescoping, bolo and scrap iron, rock, pottery whatever out of various sizes of black powder weapons for hundreds of years.  Sometimes in large bore shotguns hand held.  Yikes!!  Given that history lesson, (who cares anyhow) what is the big deal about this horrible soon to be non political correct ammo?  Can I have 1000 rounds please?  Do they make it in 12 gage?  .45 acp?  How about .22rf?  BB's?  Pellets?  HB of CJ (old coot)  Good post and thank you.

I don't see how a round like that won't cause feeding issues. Also, how far can that round fly straight and true?

That's what I was thinking too. Those fancy little prongs look very vulnerable to bending when they hit the feed ramp. 

There were just too many nonsense claims in the first few seconds of the video to take anything they say seriously. So those prongs are specifically designed to stabilize by rotating? Wow. What a brilliant idea. If only someone else had thought of that before.

There are two rings cut around the prongs. Can anyone come up with any function related reason for those to be there? Thier video does not show the prongs bending or shearing at those points, so it's not for that. They would be cutting from the end or cavity side, not the side with the ring notches, so it's not a serration...

As for the shotgun slugs, DDupleks already makes one with enough mass in the petals to not be a joke, and it actually is effective. Better yet, the geometry causes it to close the HP and stay intact on denser game, and to open and fragment into petals and core on soft critters. That's a pretty tough concept to beat. Especially since it's been shown to work, and hunters really use it.

HB- yes the idea is nothing new. The marketing is asking for trouble, but again nothing new. Other's have tried similar stuff before. i.e. Dragon's Breath...

So what separates this from previous chain shot, etc?  The individual components need to have enough mass and velocity to do damage. None of the very small pieced designs were kept because they performed badly. Stuff with fragments with mass and velocity comparable to pistol bullets or bigger are another story.

• Like 1

I was curious what the reaction would be when I posted this.  I didn't give my opinion at the time (other than to say somebody will try to ban it).

But I will just say I agree with the video above.  No exotic ammo for me.  

I did switch to copper bullets for hunting and I was impressed with the performance in my recent elk hunt.  Two of the 3 elk we shot were taken with copper bullets and the bullets did exactly what you want.  Expanded to more than double caliber but retained 100% weight.  Perfect.

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 3