.22LR Availability, $0.10 Per Rd or Less Thread

Thanks for the info. I haven't even heard of that brand.

A guy on youtube called "1957shep" has a lifetime achievement type gun collection and did a series a couple months ago going through his 22 pistols. Each one was shot with a broad selection of quality ammo, so he could have a record of what each gun likes. (He has enough guns that good notes are a practical requirement. His ammo selection is just as good.) A lot of them did really well with ancient Eley, and very poorly with recent production. He was often getting better groups with cheapo stuff than the eley match stuff. I don't know what changed, but I've seen a few other people saying they got better groups with every day remington than with eley.

Around the same time FortuneCookie45LC slugged a bunch of his 22s, and mic'ed out a lot of his various 22 ammo and made a chart. He was quick to point out that his results only applied to the guns in his hands and the lots of ammo he bought, but you could get a good trend. The key takeaway is that most of the time when someone with a .22 says "brand X is crap. It's dirty and shoots badly/ doesn't cycle..." another guy will immediately reply "are you nuts, it works awesome in mine." This is my experience. However the interesting thing is they are both actually right. They just forgot to factor that there was a poor bore fit, and The first guy's gun likes fat stuff and the second guy has a skinny bore which works with anything.

A few of us compared our batches and found that the trends were pretty strong. Often the only real difference between several 22 products from a same parent company is the projectile diameter, and the quality of crimp. This is the biggest factor in what your gun likes. 

For example, lots of people swear that federal bulk stuff is the best bulk pack for reliability and accuracy. None of my 3 22s like it. People crap on the Rem Lightning or whatever it is called, and that is my second best choice.

• Like 2
  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Same email here.  Sometimes things are too good to be true.  Still appreciate the heads up SGL.

I just received this email from Bullets.com.  I replied and suggested that they invest in a proper inventory management system as well as let them know that I will not be placing any future orders wit

.07 a round to the door.  Nice unexpected deal.  Mozilla didn't work, Chrome did.  Appreciate the help and deal SGL.

Posted Images

That makes a ton sense, thanks. Going to go investigate some the ideas you brought up.

The biggest problem with 22s is now and has been since late 2012 being unable to get exactly what you want.

Hard to find the best ammo when selection is so low.

I also only have three 22s now, two rifles one pistol.

The Marlin 795 is the most finicky and it absolutely loves the Geco stuff which isnt really cheap at about .10/rnd but it also loves the Eley at about .18/rnd so no brainer there.

The 10/22 with a custom bull barrel shoots pretty much everything well but has a noticeable improvement with the Geco compared to cheaper ammo. Eley still shoots the best but hey money talks.

Surprisingly the pistol has been the toughest nut but seriously that is due to it doing a pretty fair job with anything long as it cycles. Love that Browning.

As you pointed out this is a field of exacting science, the why always exists.

• Like 1

Gun Fun,

Remington Thunderbolt.

I prefer the CCI Mini Mag for the 10/22.  So glad I was able to get 10 boxes in Jan of 13.  Last CCI .22LR I've seen was Stingers in May of 13.  Haven't seen anything since.  I'm ready to go to the Idaho factory and buy a pallet!

That's the stuff. I always get the name messed up. They  have a high velocity product that has been out 3 years or so that I have been wanting to try, but I have had about as much access to money since law school as most people have access to .22. And I have only seen 22 on the shelves a few times. 

My 10/22s like mini mags, but not appreciably better than a lot of cheaper stuff. All my guns shoot the CCI stuff in the plastic boxes run well well. CCI uses a lot more priming compound and has measurably better crimps than most.

For them, here's been what they like from best to worst based on cycling. (brick ammo only) CCI Blazer (I don't know about the federal contract blazer though), Super X/Winchester wildcat, thunderbolt, peters (occasional FTE), Newer American eagle.  Federal bulk, (iffy),  Stuff it doesn't like (no particular order): old amercian eagle(unbeleivably bad QC), rem golden bullet, loose federal with the pointy HP, Aguila Super Something or other, a lot of the federal stuff.

Of that, I didn't put as much formal work into accuracy testing as I should have, but I feel like I was getting the best groups with the super X & wildcats. I used to cut lathe at about a hundred m edgewise from a rest with that to make my targets fall.

I seriously like the mini-mags for anything more "practical", kills em dead with good accuracy.

Due to lack of availability all of it has been consigned to long term storage, I wont target shoot what I cant or is difficult to replace.

What this shortage did do is make me look at more at the higher end ammo as its cost didnt rise nearly as much and could get Eley even at the worst of it. Wish I could say the same for Wolf/SK and the CCI Subsonic which does cycle reliably in all but the pistol and at 50 yds and closer is just one hole ammo and vewy vewy quiet.

The Geco stuff is really about on par with the Wolf/SK and I was torn about even mentioning it... yall understand why :D

• Like 1

I am stingy enough with the stuff like mini mags and stingers that it just goes into an ammo can and I forget I have it. It only gets brought out when someone has a fussy gun which won't cycle anything else. .22s are maybe for pest control, but that's about the only "serious work" I use them for, and I haven't done any of that in a while. Last time was with the CCI quiet, which I liked.  Now, I think my go to for small pests would be .38 SPL or 9mm mouse-fart SWC loads.

AmmomenLLC.

100 Rd - CCI Mini-Mag .22 LR 36 Gr CPHP $13.99

16 units left in stock.  $20 UPS shipping.  Buying in bulk is a must with that shipping price but 1000 rds can be had for about $0.16 a round or so.

Not a super bargain but CCI Mini Mags and Stingers don't grow on trees.

• 5 months later...

Fletchers in Andalusia, AL, they usually have some brand of .22LR below $0.10 per round after taxes.

I've been buying a box per week as I drive through town on my work route.

Federal Automatch 325, $19.99, $0.06 per rd after taxes.

He also has Winchester 333, $27.99, $0.09 per rd after taxes.

His CCI Mini-Mag is expensive, but it is in-stock at $0.14 per rd.

Don't think they ship, and if they do it'll likely drive the cost over $0.10, but it never hurts to ask.

If you're within an hour or two, call find out what he has In-Stock, a few thousand rounds would make the trip worthwhile.

Especially if you have to go in that direction for some other reason.

325 Rounds Federal Auto Match for $20.95 (limit 3) with $9.99 shipping at Bullets.com

217673cabsf11.jpg

.07 a round to the door.  Nice unexpected deal.  Mozilla didn't work, Chrome did.  Appreciate the help and deal SGL.

• Like 3

I just received this email from Bullets.com.  I replied and suggested that they invest in a proper inventory management system as well as let them know that I will not be placing any future orders with their company.

"Thank you for your recent order from Bullets.com

Due to high demand, we have sold out our limited stock of the BL6689 AM22 Auto Match .22 LR 40 Grain LRN Ammo. As we do not accept backorders for ammunition at this time, we have cancelled your order. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Please check back with us soon, as we receive shipments daily.  You are a valued customer and it is our pleasure to serve you."

Edited by SGL
  • Like 3

2000 rds of CCI Mini-Mag 36gr CPHP...   $199.80 +$19.77 s/h = $0.109  $o.11per rd. shipped to my door.

Kentucky Gun Company, CCI Mini-Mag 36gr CPHP, $9.99 per / 20 box max per day

Not the best price, but so hard to find now-a-days.

My FiL are splitting 20 just like we did last time they ran this deal.

More 325rd Federal Auto Match at Gander Mountain for $22.99 (limit 2)  with free shipping.

Edit: The easiest way to find it is to go to GanderMountain (dot) com and copy/paste this afterwards in your address bar.

/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Federal-Premium-Champion-Target-AutoMatch-Solid-Rimfire-Ammo-22-LR-40-Gr&i=757197

post-47428-0-82184600-1440780135_thumb.jpg

Edited by SGL

Federal Auto match seems to be popping up everywhere for ~8-10 cents a round. That is good news because it means that production is beginning to catch up with demand, and this is my favorite .22 LR ammo. $14-15 a 325 rd box can't be that far behind.

• Like 1