If somebody orders some stuff and the seller says the stuff is out of stock BUT he will accept back orders at the quoted price.....then 180 days later the sellor notifies the wanna be buyer and tells him the items backordered are no longer available.....at that price.....and that the item is now available at a new......and higher price?....

Is it legal?  Is it moral?  Can mail order outfits do this?  Apparently the stuff is for sale, but not at the old and lower price.  Need some opinions here regarding basic contract law and business law 101 and stuff like that.  Thanks.  HB of CJ (old coot)  Maybe it should be just let go....but it kinda bugs one to do so.  A deal is a deal?...or not?

About a 33% price increase in this particular matter. sad.pngsad.png   Not gonna' say who.  Again, about 6 months.  You may already know, or suspect.  They specifically did say it was back ordered...at the old price.  Growl growl.  Teeth grinding and stuff. 

If somebody orders some stuff and the seller says the stuff is out of stock BUT he will accept back orders at the quoted price.....then 180 days later the sellor notifies the wanna be buyer and tells him the items backordered are no longer available.....at that price.....and that the item is now available at a new......and higher price?....

Is it legal?  Is it moral?  Can mail order outfits do this?  Apparently the stuff is for sale, but not at the old and lower price.  Need some opinions here regarding basic contract law and business law 101 and stuff like that.  Thanks.  HB of CJ (old coot)  Maybe it should be just let go....but it kinda bugs one to do so.  A deal is a deal?...or not?

About a 33% price increase in this particular matter. sad.pngsad.png   Not gonna' say who.  Again, about 6 months.  You may already know, or suspect.  They specifically did say it was back ordered...at the old price.  Growl growl.  Teeth grinding and stuff. 

I gave up on that .22 order. Turn them in to the state Atty. General/ fraud unit.

You might be talking about about that company that rhymes with babelas?

They took my order and items showed in stock, they then emailed me several days later to inform me items were not available and were back ordered. Several weeks later they called and said my order had been cancelled. Lucky for me though the operator informed me they got another shipment in of another product I could buy. This "new" shipment was only going to be $3 dollars more per 20rd box of 223. I also ordered some S&W 15/22 mags that got back ordered, cancelled and offered a generic brand that was $10 per mag more than the S&W. Fockers. That is bait and switch. I told the lady to get bent. That was about a year ago. That was the last time I bought anything from them and it will probably be a long long long time before I place another order. 

Odd... they did try to get me to change my order a couple of times and tried to up sell me to .223 that was twice the cost, but each time I told them to keep my stuff on order. I ordered my ammo Dec 2012 at a good price, right after the shit storm but right before call the costs got jacked up. Finally received it Oct or Nov 2013 at the ordered price.

Maybe I just got lucky with them. That sucks that they are canceling orders and they should honor their agreements which is what they enter into with you when they accept your order.

Edited by jwulf

Legally it depends. Most sites will have a legal disclaimer and stated backorder policy, in which they reserve the right to cancel the backorder or raise prices. If they do, you have no recourse, other than to choose not to do business with them anymore. Ethically, I am on the fence with the policy. If they offer backorder, then they should honor the price. If they are worried about their prices increasing before the back order is filled, then don't offer backorder. But I also understand that vendors are not in the business of losing money. Some of the backorders stem over a year, and many times the vendor has no idea when the next shipment will arrive. It could be in a month or eighteen, and I would not expect a business to sell at a loss.

When I place a backorder ammo order, it is only with places that have a written policy and do not charge until the order ships. I don't look at it as a certainty, just as I have an order that is "in line". If I get it at that price terrific, if not no harm done. Taking this perspective has helped me not get so pissed, and still allows ammo to trickle in at a good price on a steady basis. Just my 2 cents. Sorry to hear about your experience, I know it can be frustrating.

If they allow backorder then they should be working off buying "contracts" and the price should not change. However, if they allow backorders and change the price they were speculating and is a sure sign that there are other business practices that are lacking IMO.

Edited by SmithAK

Every website I've ever ordered from had written 'policies' for Back Orders, Returns and etc.

If they didn't have a written policy, and/or a way to check stock availability, I didn't do business with them.

Same goes for a my requiring a physical address, ph#, good reviews and more.

Here is a prime example, I've multiple back orders with MidwayUSA and this is their policy.

What is your Backorder Policy?

We do everything possible to get your backorders out as quickly as possible while minimizing shipping costs.

When you only have one product on backorder, we ship it out as soon as it’s received.

When you backorder multiple products on a single invoice, we hold all of those products so they ship together.

Once any backordered product has been in our warehouse for 90 days, we automatically ship that product to you, as well as any of your other backordered products in stock at that time.

All backorders ship via the most economical shipping method possible.

Backorders open longer than 365 days will be cancelled.

• Like 1

It probably depends legally on the terms of the initial order.

Ethically, is a different story unless the terms were made very clear. 

A lot of shops are delaying back orders so they can sell at a mark up on gunbroker and the like without looking like jerks in their storefront by marking up under their own business name. 

Every website I've ever ordered from had written 'policies' for Back Orders, Returns and etc.

If they didn't have a written policy, and/or a way to check stock availability, I didn't do business with them.

Here is a prime example, I've multiple back orders with MidwayUSA and this is their policy.

We do everything possible to get your backorders out as quickly as possible while minimizing shipping costs.

When you only have one product on backorder, we ship it out as soon as it’s received.

When you backorder multiple products on a single invoice, we hold all of those products so they ship together.

Once any backordered product has been in our warehouse for 90 days, we automatically ship that product to you, as well as any of your other backordered products in stock at that time.

This^^^^^

Midway is one of the primary places I backorder from because their backorder policy and terms of service are very clear. When I place the order, I know exactly where I stand.

• Like 1

Cabelas Pricing Policy

PRICING AND SPECIFICATIONS

solidcircle.gif Merchandise prices and specifications are subject to change without notice. solidcircle.gif Typographic, photographic, and/or descriptive errors are subject to correction. solidcircle.gif Not all products are available in all areas due to country, state, or local laws. solidcircle.gif We reserve the right to limit product quantities to dealers. Actual shipping charges may apply. solidcircle.gif All prices quoted in US Currency.
Edited by ChileRelleno

I had a backorder on ammo with Centerfire for 7.62x25 and when it finally was processed it was at the price listed. I would cancel an order if they jacked up the price while it was on backorder, seeing s the backorder purchase is with the idea of getting the price listed at the time of order. If they are messing around with it and you can get it elsewhere cancel the order, then shop from said retailer sparingly. Seems like a breach of trust even if not legally an issue

Sportsman's Guide, sometimes love'm, sometimes hate'm, yet just yesterday got notice that 1,000rds 45acp America Eagle was been shipped. 1st ordered 13 months ago. 3 cases on regular order. Special pricing just a day before Sandy shooting.  2 Shipped, 1 put on back order with 500rds of 380 and some 22. $295 delivered. Happy dance. Be $500 + shipping today, if/when found. 22 got canceled after 3rd delay. (Not known if/when get restocked) never has been offered since, 380 notified last week, expected May 15th, will see, been given delay a few times, yet never charged until shipped and honor initial purchase price.  Back before price fluctuations, allowed pre purchase, since last year this is not available.

The "out of stock", yet notice same shipping address and gouge price on Gunbroker does make me quit those suppliers.

Understanding Midway's policy prior to ordering was also helpful in that I place all backorders individually on it own invoice. This insures that if it comes in stock, it immediately ships and is not held until until other back ordered items on the same order come back into stock.

Thank you all.  What I have learned here from hard experience of others is to know the company and read the fine print regarding the life of back orders.  Or...just do not buy from a questionable company.  HB of CJ (old coot)

Your frustration was both understandable and warranted. Unfortunately, demand is higher than supply at the moment for several calibers. Backorders are a great way to replace what you shoot over time. It just isn't the way to go if your stock is low enough that you have expectations on when it will arrive.

for me, I don't go for back orders. if a company doesn't have it in stock and ready to ship, I don't even mess with them, I'll buy from someone else that has it.

Place the rhymes with babelas had my cci 450 primers in stock when I placed order, they emailed me later it was on backorder