Does anyone have experience with the Zastava M70 or New NPAP underfold

I am going to be selling a recently acquired 9696 factory Chinese SKS and want to use the funds to put towards a new AK. I have had my eyes on an under folder for some time and was curious if anyone had any experience with the NPAP underfolders currently available on Classic? I am familiar with Zastava AKs and have been impressed with everyone I have handled thus far. Just looking for someone with experience. This is similar to what I am looking at:

post-37530-0-68871900-1391142910.jpg

I am also considering my first 5.45 and can't decide between the Waffen Werks or a Saiga and doing the conversion to restore it to an original AK-74. It would cost a little more but not much over the WW. I am leaning towards the underfolder just because I prefer not to have to introduce a new caliber into my collection. However the 5.45 is a caliber that I love to shoot, and is a devastating round. Decisions Decisions. What are your thoughts?

ETA Here are couple of pics of the SKS I plan to sell. The only addition is a Techsights rear .064 aperture sight. Does $350 sound like a fair price in today's market?

post-37530-0-70771300-1391147513_thumb.jpg

post-37530-0-01765600-1391147562_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spacehog

Your SKS should sell fast, at that price.

5.45 and 7.62x39 are both nice calibers. You'll be happy either way. I have both.

If you get a 5.45, stock deep in ammo.

I would advise at least handling an underfolder before buying. Some people don't like the underfolder.

Edited by Sim_Player
  • Like 1

They just feel different. The cheek weld is pretty much nonexistent, and the butt is a bit uncomfortable for some, just doesn't feel right shouldered.

I quickly became a fan of side folders for this reason. I love the look of the underfolder, it just dont sit right with me. I have known people that love them though.

• Like 1

I can see where cheek weld would be an issue. Quite frankly, the only reason I want and underfolder is the looks. However, if I end up never shooting it because it is not comfortable or enjoyable,then there is no point in owning one. I will have to call around and see if I can find one somewhere to look at, before placing an order for one.

UFs are not bad. Ive had a few. The biggest problem for me is that if I wasnt paying attention and not holding the rifle firmly the stock would smack me in the cheek. Not hard but being metal its enough to wake you up and if you do it a few times in a row it quickly becomes a sore spot. There is a company that makes a cheek rest for a UF AK. Samson mfg.

• Like 1

the Yugo UF stocks are easier to get a weld on because they're mostly straight. I don't care for the angled UF versions. a few companies make cheek risers for the UF stocks as well.

Edited by mancat
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone. It is feedback like this that is very helpful. I am pretty comfortable with the firearms manufacturer. Zastava is making very nice stuff these days, so I am not concerned about quality as much as issues like feel, shootability, etc. I know it is a very subjective question however, what fits one person, may not fit the next, thus two completely different opinions. You would think with 4 major gun stores in the Birmingham area, I should be able to get my hands on one locally, but so far no dice.

I'll be patient. It seems Zastava is flooding the US market with imports right now. I expect the prices to keep coming down and availability going up through Summer.

I have an o-pap and an n-pap underfolder . both well made ! just shot underfolder yesterday and it shoots well and cheekweld is different. I wrapped a wide (6") ace bandage  tight around left truss and wrapped with 33 electrical tape. takes a few seconds to get use to and all is good. the opap cheekweld bothered me and I swapped a m76 buttstock on that rifle. both are fine rifle with nothing to pick at.........................

• Like 1