Im an economy drinker.  My wife likes cheap spiced rum and I like cheap strong beer.  The hurricane high gravity is the only high gravity I can stomach.  Steel reserve, nattydaddy, and the like taste like dog shit tacos, but I like my hurricane.  As for the admiral, its not bad for half the price of captain.  Wild turkey 101 is also a standby favorite.

Of course those are my dailys.  On a special occasion or when I have money to burn, Im a sucker for Lagavulin scotch, if you havnt tried it, its like drinking from a barrel on a pirate ship.   

post-31894-0-29630500-1391662531.jpg

post-31894-0-73148700-1391662537.jpg

Edited by Boomsick42
  • Like 1
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't recall.......    

WATER……..a once free liquid that now costs more than gasoline, and in the not so distant future will be worth it's weight in gold.

Posted Images

GUYS,

BACK IN '77 SOME OF US FROM WEAPONS PLATOON TOOK LEAVE WHILE THE LPH-9 GUAM WAS DOCKED IN GENOA FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS, AND TOOK A TRAIN UP TO GARMISCH FOR A WEEK OR SO.

ON THE WAY BACK, WE CHANGED TRAINS IN INNSBRUCK AROUND MIDNIGHT.

WE HAD ABOUT A 3 HOUR LAYOVER AND TIRED, HUNGRY, AND ALMOST OUTTA MONEY, WE FANNED OUT ACROSS THE ENVIRONS OF THE RAILROAD STATION, LOOKING FOR SOMETHING OPEN WHERE WE COULD GET SOME CHOW.

SEVERAL OF US MANAGED TO LUCK-UP ON A SMALL BAR THAT WAS OPEN AND THEY FIXED US SOME SANDWICHES.

THEY ALSO OFFERED US SOME RUM THAT THEY SAID WAS MADE IN AUSTRIA, BUT THAT VERY LITTLE OF IT WAS EVER EXPORTED (I FOUND OUT WHY, AFTER I HAD A SHOT OF IT, I'D HOARD IT TOO!).

THIS STUFF TASTED LIKE YOU'D MELTED DOWN THOSE LITTLE BUTTERSCOTCH CANDIES AND BOTTLED IT WITH JUST A WHIFF OF ALCOHOL.

GOOD THING I WAS DAMN-NEAR BROKE, OR I COULD HAVE GOTTEN STUPID ON THAT STUFF, AS I LOVE BUTTERSCOTCH..........

HAD MY FIRST GUINNESS, SEVERAL MONTHS EARLIER, AT THE SEAMAN'S MISSION BAR IN MOMBASA ON KILINDINI ROAD.

PLACE WAS STRAIGHT OUT OF A HUMPHERY BOGART - SYDNEY GREENSTREET MOVIE.

EVERYTHING WAS MADE OUT OF BAMBOO, THE BAR, THE CHAIRS, THE TABLES, THE WALLS, CEILING FANS SLOWLY TICKING OVER, POTTED PALMS EVERYWHERE.

GOOD TIMES IN THE FMF!

JESS1344

INDY,

LOOKS LIKE THIS IS IT, THOUGH I REMEMBER IT BEING IN A TALL CLEAR BOTTLE.

"Stroh 80 is a rose copper colored, light bodied rum. Initial aromas of bright butterscotch and vanilla lead to a bouquet of floral, herbal, tropical fruit and spicy notes. On the palate, bold rum flavor is accented with a myriad of spices, perfume, root beer and butter tones, with a very long, very warm finish."

THEY'VE GOT THE DESCRIPTION CORRECT.

JESS1344

Reading this while sipping on my cheap, but good, Hurricane High Gravity.

When it comes to stronger stuff I like, Southern Comfort (80 Proof), any Gin and Tonic, or a good, straight, Malt Whiskey (a newly acquired taste).

Any Rum, J.D., or Tequila will have me swearing off drinking, the next morning.

I can't even smell Budweiser, without getting sick. Too much in my teens.

Coors, on the other hand, was regarded as piss beer, by my peers, in my teens but, it brings back good memories. Probably because I never drank enough of it to get sick. :)

Edited by Sim_Player

Well, I usually go for neat whiskeys and that sort of thing. I like good stuff and bad stuff for different reasons. Bohemian style absinthe is fun just for the ritual of it.

Here's a couple I came up with:

"Law School Breakfast": ~ 7 oz of espresso or my drip, which is pretty much espresso. 3/4 oz half and half. about a shot of Jim beam red stag (Cherry flavored stuff that is a little on the sweet side)

Jethro Collins: Bulleit Rye and Squirt. It kinda carmelizes. Total redneck combo, but it's balanced and tastes good.

"Torx Screwdriver" -kind of an odd ball screwdriver: Use orange juice from concentrate (I usually use the costco stuff) However, short the water by about half and substitute concentrate stash licorice spice tea, then add vodka, or just skip the hard A if you want. It's pretty good without the licquor too. The thing is orange, and anise are both olfactory flavors, and they kick in at different timing, so one flavor fades as the other moves in. I came up with this one by accident when I worked construction. I used to keep sippy car cups full of coffee, hot tea, OJ, etc in the car. I came back from break carrying two cups and accidentally sipped out of one then the other. 

"phillips screwdriver" Vodka, orange juice, milk of magnesia --serve to the guests of a party as you are leaving.

And of course you NEVER remembered the NAME OF THAT RUM?!?!?!?!?!?

coincidentally,  I JUST made a gallon of spiced Rum thats tastes like the spiced rum you guys are describing , its my favorite spirit.

I used 150 proof white rum, vanilla, butterscotch, ginger, cinnamon sticks, cloves, nutmeg & allspice, its been infusing the spices for 4 weeks & I just "racked it off" ( siphoned the clear alcohol) yesterday and it will age a while or till I run out of the last batch

I also make various schnapps with 150 proof vodka, Butterscotch, licorice, orange, cinnamon, peppermint, blackberry, root-beer & peach .I use the schnapps primarily for mixed drinks & their flavoring .

the Cherry Bombs are pretty fun too, the girls really seem to like the novelty of them, 5 or 6 cherries and your bombed....they have been infused in 150 proof for several months

rum.jpg

INDY,

"Stroh 80 is a rose copper colored, light bodied rum. Initial aromas of bright butterscotch and vanilla lead to a bouquet of floral, herbal, tropical fruit and spicy notes. On the palate, bold rum flavor is accented with a myriad of spices, perfume, root beer and butter tones, with a very long, very warm finish."

JESS1344

G*damn, they sure aren't shitting there. amazing.gif

Found a bottle of the stuff downstairs in the basement liquor cabinet (Austrian born Mom's cooking & baking stash, I assume? unsure.png ), and decided to try a wee nip of it.

Now, (with my fatty liver and all), it's been twenty-some years since I indulged my service induced alchoholism.

BUT DAMN, IT DOES TASTE BUTTERSCOTCHY.  WERTHERS BUTTERSCOTCH MINTS SPIT IN A TOILET FILLED WITH RED DEVIL LYE BASED DRAIN CLEANER. 015.gifwacko.png

Matbe I'm a big alcohoI pussy now, but I ain't messing with the shit anymore.  Took me at least 1-1/2 minutes to catch my breath afterwards.  Didn't help any that part of it went down my windpipe and brought stomach acid reflux up with it again. 010.gif

• Like 1

I don't drink much alcohol. It has to be in the right setting like a party atmosphere, sports bar, or something else and then it's usually some fancy sounding microbrew that I've never had before just to try something new. I drink so rarely that after about four or five beers I end up much thinker than I drunk I am. See photo at left.

Edited by DogMan

Im an economy drinker.  My wife likes cheap spiced rum and I like cheap strong beer.  The hurricane high gravity is the only high gravity I can stomach.  Steel reserve, nattydaddy, and the like taste like dog shit tacos, but I like my hurricane.  As for the admiral, its not bad for half the price of captain.  Wild turkey 101 is also a standby favorite.

Of course those are my dailys.  On a special occasion or when I have money to burn, Im a sucker for Lagavulin scotch, if you havnt tried it, its like drinking from a barrel on a pirate ship.   

Albeit an acquired taste for many...Lagavulin is a favorite of mine...

INDY,

JESS1344

G*damn, they sure aren't shitting there. amazing.gif

Found a bottle of the stuff downstairs in the basement liquor cabinet (Austrian born Mom's cooking & baking stash, I assume? unsure.png ), and decided to try a wee nip of it.

Now, (with my fatty liver and all), it's been twenty-some years since I indulged my service induced alchoholism.

BUT DAMN, IT DOES TASTE BUTTERSCOTCHY.  WERTHERS BUTTERSCOTCH MINTS SPIT IN A TOILET FILLED WITH RED DEVIL LYE BASED DRAIN CLEANER. 015.gifwacko.png

Matbe I'm a big alcohoI pussy now, but I ain't messing with the shit anymore.  Took me at least 1-1/2 minutes to catch my breath afterwards.  Didn't help any that part of it went down my windpipe and brought stomach acid reflux up with it again. 010.gif

GADDIS,

IT DOES COME IN VARIOUS OCTANE'S, IE, 40%, 60%, AND 80%, AS I RECALL.

YOU MUST HAVE GOTTEN A-HOLD OF THE ROCKET FUEL VERSION.

DON'T RECALL WHAT SPECIES, OCTANE-WISE, I RAN ACROSS, THAT NIGHT IN INNSBRUCK, BEEN TOO MANY YEARS, BUT IT WASN'T HARSH AT ALL.

THE TASTE OF BUTTERSCOTCH WAS THE PREDOMINANT SENSATION.

JESS1344

GADDIS,

IT DOES COME IN VARIOUS OCTANE'S, IE, 40%, 60%, AND 80%, AS I RECALL.

YOU MUST HAVE GOTTEN A-HOLD OF THE ROCKET FUEL VERSION.

DON'T RECALL WHAT SPECIES, OCTANE-WISE, I RAN ACROSS, THAT NIGHT IN INNSBRUCK, BEEN TOO MANY YEARS, BUT IT WASN'T HARSH AT ALL.

THE TASTE OF BUTTERSCOTCH WAS THE PREDOMINANT SENSATION.

JESS1344

Yeah, the (at least 20 year old) bottle I sampled was the 80 proof version. 009.gif

Maybe some of the crap that mellows it out evaporated in the intervening years as it sat in the cupboard downstairs, but it reminded me of taking a big gulp of butterscotch flavored Listerine. :unsure:

Funny thing was that me and my B.I.L. were taking shots of 80% Junior Johnson (Yuppie :lol: ) moonshine on New Years Eve,, and that didn't bother me half as much as the shot of Strohs. :eek:

I could probably get used to it (fast!) if I took up recreational drinking again though.  Each subsequent sip of it you take does tend to grow on you. :lolol:

• 3 weeks later...

My neighbor and I were out shoveling snow at the same time yesterday and got to talking after we had a good laugh about him hitting a crack with the snow blade on his John Deere. He's a good old boy retired from Ford and a real gear head.

He invited me over for a whiskey and of course being a gear head he keeps the bottle chilled in his rolling toolbox in the garage. It's a nice large heated garage though and we had a couple shots while we chatted about car stuff.

The stuff he had was Honey flavored Evan Williams and it was like adult soda pop, great stuff! I've had the JD with honey, but this stuff was sweeter and smoother. Cheaper than the JD too from what he said.

Have been feeling shitty with a cold/sinus infection going on three weeks now. Went to work for half a day today and stopped by the liquor store on the way home. Picked up a big bottle of the Evan Williams Honey and it's making me feel much better. Far better than NyQuil.   smile.png

And it is smoother than the Jack Honey. Cheaper too, it was $18.99 for the big 1.75L bottle.

I also picked up a case of the Miller Fortune that Indy recommended, haven't cracked one of those open yet.

Will probably do a few more shots of the honey whiskey (over ice) and then it will be nap time.

Will try the Miller Fortune with dinner later tonight.

Edited by Spartacus