Felix Baumgartner 1st Person Video of 24 Mile Drop to Earth

I watched the jump live, very cool stuff.

His predecessor for the high altitude/speed record was Capt Joe Kittinger, a personal hero of mine.

Kittinger is still alive, and IIRC, he was on the team as a consultant.

As a skydiver I'll say that I'd make this jump in heartbeat if I could.

• Like 1

Incredible video! Wow and thank you. This is very off topic, but if some of you like to read old science fiction novels, (and I do) consider reading or re reading Star Ship Troopers by Robert Heinlein. Writ about 1957. The description of a combat drop from low earth orbit still is very cool....and now known to be accurate. HB

Air density at exit and first several minutes of freefall is almost non-existent = no resistance/high terminal velocity speed.

As air density gradually increases, so does air resistance and speed drops... Gradually.

Terminal velocity will go from 800mph+ to 120mph...  Gradually.

No brick wall.

wouldn't that be like hitting a brick wall. How did the guy not get knocked out or his neck broken for that matter?

Yeah I know, I'm not no rocket scientist.

It's more like falling into a deep cushion mattress rather than a brick wall, as the atmosphere gets thicker gradually....I think 015.gif

I watched the jump live, very cool stuff.

His predecessor for the high altitude/speed record was Capt Joe Kittinger, a personal hero of mine.

Kittinger is still alive, and IIRC, he was on the team as a consultant.

As a skydiver I'll say that I'd make this jump in heartbeat if I could.

I used to know Mr. Kittinger back when my dad and I had a lawn service. we took care of his lawn. really nice guy. he was a skywriter at the time. and it was always cool to watch him work.

"Rosie O’Grady’s Flying Circus was the official “airline” of Church Street Station and consisted of six  classic planes, gas balloons and hot-air balloons.  The skies above Orlando were always entertaining with  Joe Kittinger and Bob Snow’s skywriting and banner towing."

http://snow-and-associates.com/css.htm

• Like 1