Grip nut questions

Hi, I am new to the forum and in the middle of my first conversion. Everything has been going well, but I ran into an issue with the thermoplastic Tapco grip nut which seems to be threaded wrong for my Magpul AK MOE handgrip. Is there a certain grip nut that anyone can recommend? I think I may go with a steel one, but there are Russian AKM, Bulgarian AK74, and US ones, does it matter? Or do I just need to use a different screw than the Magpul supplied one?

Thanks

Jason

The one I have came with Dizag's kit. It is a plastic body with a threaded steel insert. There could be pros and cons to that, but as the threads didn't work with the magpul screw I'm looking to just get a steel one and also possibly swap the screw if still necessary. I would have thought the threads were a standard size, so it's odd that the Magpul screw is fatter than the long one that came with the plastic Tapco nut (for attaching a traditional grip). The kit is awesome by the way, the FCG is nicely polished and fit perfect, the trigger guard in nice, and I haven't done the bullet guide install yet but it looks well-made.

Looking at various grip nuts online I noticed they are not all the same design, but it seems they all should fit the existing cutout and leave room to instal the plugs in the Saiga receiver (Russian AKM, Bulgarian, CSS, Kvar, etc.)?

It's kind of silly of me to obsess about something so basic, I just don't want to order all of them to figure this out, but it sounds like any of them should be fine. I appreciate the feedback!

Thanks,

Jason

OK, I figured out the magpul screw threads are not mis-matched. The screw had a fair amount of hardened yellow thread-locking material on one side of it which didn't yield, causing the threads of the steel insert in the tapco plastic grip nut to gall when screwing it in. I didn't think I was forcing it it that much, but it quickly became too tight to turn so I though the threads were different. I think the nut's insert is made with very soft steel and the magpul screw is hardened. Anyway, there is a standard thread for the AK.

I am now going with a proper steel nut. Also I removed the magpul thread-lock and will just use some purple.