Saiga M Takedown Buttstock

Hello everyone -this is my first post, first semi auto rifle, first AK, and first Saiga. I bought a .223 Saiga M "takedown" rifle from Legion USA:

http://legionusainc.com/izsl-m-saiga-wood-.223-rem.html

Got the rifle field stripped, back together, and I like it. Haven't shot it yet though, and I have a feeling I won't for awhile because the buttstock is extremely wobbly. As in the buttstock will wobble when touched, when the gun is shouldered, and there's a visible gap between the metal and wood.

Also, the instruction manual isn't very clear as to taking the stock off.

Any help would be appreciated, although I know this is a very rare Saiga variant. I'll be calling Legion shortly. Legion also advertised the rifle to come with a camo carry case, but I didn't get a case when I picked the rifle up from my FFL. I did get this weird bottle of tools however. Does anyone know what they do?

7Z5FmZN.jpg

YqtOIsS.jpg

How long ago to you order? I watched the day they removed the camo case from the listing.

The little washer welded on the button has to be removed, but I wonder if your stock itself is damaged or if the screw is just loose.

The camo bag was no longer listed like 3.5 weeks ago. It's in the pictures but they removed the writing saying they were included. It was the day the he mailed me mine, so I got on and checked and he had edited the listings.

This is an email from Alex at legion sent on 1-6-14, he edited the ad that day, did you place your order after that? If so maybe you read the ad earlier but not when you placed the order?

thanks for bringing it to my attention. We are pretty much out of the carrying cases, but I have one that I can send you that I will ship today. As far as the removable stock, there is a small weld on the release button. This was done in Russia for importation purposes. You can easily remove this weld with a dremel tool. If you do not feel comfortable doing this yourself, I can have our gunsmith do for you free of charge, just ship the rifle back to us and we will cover shipping back to you. Let me know what you prefer to do.

Friday, Jan. 24. Is this the washer you're talking about?

NddUpVT.jpg

The manual says:

force out the latch pusher (in the butt end) and turn the butt so that to fix it, when the carbine is furnished with a folding butt;

This is an email from Alex at legion sent on 1-6-14, he edited the ad that day, did you place your order after that? If so maybe you read the ad earlier but not when you placed the order?

thanks for bringing it to my attention. We are pretty much out of the carrying cases, but I have one that I can send you that I will ship today. As far as the removable stock, there is a small weld on the release button. This was done in Russia for importation purposes. You can easily remove this weld with a dremel tool. If you do not feel comfortable doing this yourself, I can have our gunsmith do for you free of charge, just ship the rifle back to us and we will cover shipping back to you. Let me know what you prefer to do.

I must've read the ad earlier. I'd rather send the rifle back to you guys (Legion? smile.png ) tomorrow or Wednesday. It'd be great if you send a carry case with the rifle or soon.

As far as pulling off the washer goes, mine "fell off" if you send it to them you are probably required to pay shipping to them.

I put a wood chisel under the washer directly between the two tack welds and bent it up a little, went to the other side of washer and did the same, then rocked it back and forth til it "fell off" took less then five minutes. Push the button with you thumb, once depressed the stock folds to the side the washer is on. See if the screw is just loose?

As far as pulling off the washer goes, mine "fell off" if you send it to them you are probably required to pay shipping to them.

I put a wood chisel under the washer directly between the two tack welds and bent it up a little, went to the other side of washer and did the same, then rocked it back and forth til it "fell off" took less then five minutes. Push the button with you thumb, once depressed the stock folds to the side the washer is on. See if the screw is just loose?

I'm going to try that tonight. The stock feels like it's just got a loose screw, so I'll see later on.

This issue has only occurred on the wood furniture Saiga-M models. There is a screw in the buttstock that can be tightened and this will fix the 'wobble' issue. One would need to remove the weld on the release button in order to get to that screw. We inspect all firearms in our warehouse, but I have noticed that the wood stocks can come loose while they are being shipped. We will gladly remove anybody's weld and tighten the stock if you do not feel comfortable doing it yourself. As far as the carrying cases are concerned, I ordered more of them and they will be shipped with our next order from Russia.

Are you folding the stock to the left side like the button is on? It's tight the first few times

Yeah, no go. I'll try again tomorrow but I think it's going to have to go back to Legion. Maybe try with some WD-40.

Edited by tk421991

That's all mine sticks out in the first place is just over 1/4 inch.

I think if I remember right it took a good bit of pressure the first few times, it gets easier every time I do it. You might even try a plastic or wood hammering object. I know how bad that sounds but it is an ak after all. Don't go crazy, but there really isn't anything other then the washer and weld that keeps it from moving aside from the friction of the locking mechanism.

That's all mine sticks out in the first place is just over 1/4 inch.

I think if I remember right it took a good bit of pressure the first few times, it gets easier every time I do it. You might even try a plastic or wood hammering object. I know how bad that sounds but it is an ak after all. Don't go crazy, but there really isn't anything other then the washer and weld that keeps it from moving aside from the friction of the locking mechanism.

I sprayed the small gap between the metal part of the stock and the receiver with WD 40 and I'll let that sit until tomorrow. Plenty of snow tomorrow means time to work on the gun. If not, I'll send it back to Legion.

So any of you guys plan on putting a 100 series stock on this model?  It's practically begging to be done.  Ever hear of a tabuk sniper?  Well the Saiga M with a folder might be one step above that.

To the OP:  Hit that button with a rubber mallet and be done with it. 

Edited:  spelling

Edited by HighPlainsDrifter

To the OP:  Hit that button with a rubber mallet and be done with it. 

Edited:  spelling

I tried a rubber mallet a lot and it didn't work, plus some PB Blaster, WD 40, and it didn't want to come off. I think I'd be able to get the stock off if I had a vise to put the rifle in, but I don't. so I'm going to send it back Friday. I'm not going to mod this rifle.

Yes, we are working on getting the Ak-100 series folders onto the Saiga-M models. Hopefully they will be for sale within the next few months. Here is a prototype that we had built. This is quite a labor intensive process. Also notice the picattiny rear sight. We have a few samples from a new manufacturer in Russia. The way that they mount allows them to hold zero under any conditions.

post-39146-0-03249500-1392391764_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

UPS tracking # says that Legion received the rifle today.

Anyways, a little info as to why I got this rifle. My dad and I are taking up coyote hunting, and I bought this since .223 is a good semi auto caliber for coyote, plus it's a lot easier to find .223 anywhere than it is to find 5.45x39. I am going to scope this rifle, but I haven't picked out a scope yet. Going to a Cabela's this Friday to see what I like for scopes. Thinking of a Nikon 2.5-10x50 scope because most of my hunting will be done in heavy forest, brush, and farmland, so I don't think I'd need anything bigger than 3 power. Also need a sling.

I might also set the rifle up for home defense, so I'd want a set of QD rings or a QD mount.

As for myself, I currently also have a 1943 Izhevsk M91/30, a Beretta 92FS INOX Compact, a .30-06 Savage 110, and a Zastava M57A. I've been a gun owner since I was 18 (2010) and I'm getting back into hunting after a hiatus during high school and after.

Edited by tk421991

Cabelas has the Nikon coyote special here locally for $200 in camo. Has bdc reticle for .223 have it in 3-9 and 4-12 I'm getting 4-12

Yeah I've heard good things about the BDC reticles. I've only used a regular duplex fine crosshair before, so I want to see before I buy.

For the 223 its sighted at 100 then has a small circle for 200 300 400 & 500 yards

I went to Cabela's today and the Coyote Special was for sale at $200 also. Didn't have the spare cash, however it's an excellent, clear scope and I'll be buying one. I compared it against a Prostaff, and the CS is cheaper and clearer. Hands down, going with the Coyote Special once I get the cash.