read a story about a mk 2 ruger at a south african gun range where it was a rental gun, and have to log all ammo used. had 2 of em... both were listed as havin over a million rounds a piece through em. my dam walther p22 frame cracked after only prob 25k rounds, and they told me it was "past its shelf life" or some nonsense... 

so, walthers are junk, rugers are awesome, but what about saigas, anyone keepin track of roudn counts in one of em?

Saiga 7.62x39: 3,234    About 1k of Yugo surplus, the rest is Tula, Wolf, and a little Golden Tiger.

Saiga-12: 2,553    Mostly bulk birdshot, while a little more fun, buckshot and slugs are just too expensive to burn as fast as I would.

Saiga 5.45x39: 330   Bulgarian surplus, this is the newest, so that number is gonna go up alot, especially if 5.45 stays around it's current prices.

Couple Saiga's over 5,000 7.62x39, should be good for a long time, got a couple Romanians with at least 15,000. When kids were younger and ammo at $80 per 1,000 shot a lot more. Now about 300rds a month. Couple only get shot about 3 or 4 times a year now.

• Like 1

read a story about a mk 2 ruger at a south african gun range where it was a rental gun, and have to log all ammo used. had 2 of em... both were listed as havin over a million rounds a piece through em. my dam walther p22 frame cracked after only prob 25k rounds, and they told me it was "past its shelf life" or some nonsense...

so, walthers are junk, rugers are awesome, but what about saigas, anyone keepin track of roudn counts in one of em?

Plastics degrade over time, assuming your frame was polymer.

Those Rugers were probably all-metal.

Edited by Sim_Player

Saiga 7.62x39: 3,234    About 1k of Yugo surplus, the rest is Tula, Wolf, and a little Golden Tiger.

Saiga-12: 2,553    Mostly bulk birdshot, while a little more fun, buckshot and slugs are just too expensive to burn as fast as I would.

Saiga 5.45x39: 330   Bulgarian surplus, this is the newest, so that number is gonna go up alot, especially if 5.45 stays around it's current prices.

You seriously keep that kind or record? Do you have one of those thumb clickers mounted on the forends?

The walther P22s are having lots of problems. They have a lot of pot metal or ZAMAC type material in them, and lots of them are breaking in lots of places. My cousin (not the one here) had a big crack down the side of his slide, at just over a year past purchase and they basically flipped him off over the phone. Another friend had one break within the warranty window, and sold it as soon as he got it back. Some of them run like a dream, and others are rough and finicky about ammo. I like the idea of the baby version of their nifty centerfire guns, but seriously don't buy one of these.

I am almost done with my spam can of 5.45. When I am it will be ~7,000 rounds through my sgl31. I havnt treated here like I should of. No rust and the barrel is appears to look great but there is a heavy build-up of carbon on the crown and in the muzzle device. Guns been flawless except for one over the beach test with crappy transparent mag.

I havnt kept up with my saiga 12s round count but if i had to guess i would say 3k. With a quarter of that being slugs. I rarely clean her and she is super reliable almost more so dirty. The barrel has carbon/lead streaks in it. Im getting the drill and brass brush out this weekend in hopes of getting it back to that mirror shine.

Wow when i think about it i could have double arsenal if i didnt shoot so much or maybe a down payment on a car.

You seriously keep that kind or record? Do you have one of those thumb clickers mounted on the forends?

The walther P22s are having lots of problems. They have a lot of pot metal or ZAMAC type material in them, and lots of them are breaking in lots of places. My cousin (not the one here) had a big crack down the side of his slide, at just over a year past purchase and they basically flipped him off over the phone. Another friend had one break within the warranty window, and sold it as soon as he got it back. Some of them run like a dream, and others are rough and finicky about ammo. I like the idea of the baby version of their nifty centerfire guns, but seriously don't buy one of these.

These two guys were lucky to get the damn things to fire enough rounds to crack em.  I shot a P22 and a Mosquito and both sucked balls no matter what ammo we put in em.  

I've heard a lot of people unhappy with the mosquito too, but I don't remember what the specific problems were. I came close to buying a few years ago untill looking into them.

What was wrong with yours?

My Mosquito is a straight up tank, I don't even know how many rounds it has now. Up until last year, it was pretty common to pick up a 550 brick on the way out to the woods, spend a few hours blasting through all of it, and repeat once a week for the better part of a year. No broken parts, cycles fine, acceptable accuracy. It did need to be broken in with a few hundred rounds of hot CCI Mini Mags when I first got it. Last time I took it out, I tossed it in the dirt and water puddles a bit. A couple FTF but otherwise no issue.

You can clean up the trigger a lot by stripping to the frame and doing a chamfer of all rough edges on the trigger transfer bar, as well as polishing the flat faces of the bar. Mine was a very rough casting and was responsible for the gritty trigger.

As far as AK barrels, keep in mind that Arsenal Bulgaria rates their barrels at 15-20K rounds of full-auto fire. Same materials and process as Izhmash. Heat is a barrel's worst enemy, and firing semi-only, I would expect a useful life much higher than that.

Just do the math on how much $$$ ammo that is, btw.

Edited by mancat

Yes I do.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/92502-who-has-the-highest-round-count/&do=findComment&comment=957263

Carl Walther and SIG-Sauer both made excellent firearms when based overseas. Then they opened up US manufacturing divisions Walther Arms and SIG Sauer Inc. to sell their products to the American public. The quality of the US manufactured weapons are far below the standards they built their reputation on.

Its also kinda funny how all these new manufactured pot-metal .22s are failing miserably compared to much older designs like the Ruger. Oh, and just try getting spare parts for the Mosquito from SIG sometime. They don't seem very interested in helping.

Most on a personal weapon is around 10k, on a Romy AK. I've put about 1,500 rounds through my 8" S-12.

The most abused weapon I've seen was a post-sample converted Maadi. It had seen so many rounds that the locking surfaces, and every surface that contacted another surface, was polished to an almost mirror finish. The owner estimated that it had at least 100k rounds through it. He'd had it since at least the early 90s, and many people had put tons of cheap Chinese shit through it back in the day.

• Like 1

The most abused weapon I've seen was a post-sample converted Maadi. It had seen so many rounds that the locking surfaces, and every surface that contacted another surface, was polished to an almost mirror finish. The owner estimated that it had at least 100k rounds through it. He'd had it since at least the early 90s, and many people had put tons of cheap Chinese shit through it back in the day.

Priceless.  Good stuff.