First range report

The gun:

4c1723b9-dc05-4d1e-b369-611e041cae92_zps

I showed up at the range during live firing. This target was in my lane and so used it. 50 yards. All the big holes are mine. All those little holes were already there. After, I set up two other targets and got the same results. Everything down to the right.

Target:

00A4B226-9B86-46C0-8266-97CF6012A4EF_zps

Next I moved to the 100 yd range. Sorry no pictures I didn't have time to wait between sessions to also walk the range and get pictures. (Home chores). But, besides a couple dead center shots, overall I had trouble staying on the 17" target off the rifle sites. No consistency like the 50. I had to aim high to get on target. Have a Saiga 762x39 and don't have any trouble staying tight on the same target at 100 yds off the iron sites.

And the casings:

f6635f7a-30f9-45d3-b156-a1fe46372d94_zps

Left to right: Hornady 150gr InterLock, Remington 180gr soft point core lokt, Federal 150gr soft point

Have some site adjustments to make, and then begin the upgrades. Definitely want to upgrade the trigger. I'll probably put a scope on this. Happy with it, but ready to improve and bring out it's best!

All comments welcome!

Yea, have some site adjustments to make. Wish it was easier and I more time to do nothing but play with the firearms! Hopefully HOPEFULLY next weekend. We'll see. 

I do think that casing damage is pretty common to the vepr.

Yup yup, ak dent is common. Still good to reload too, it will fire form each time. Look at the base on the rim, should have a weird triangle stamp from the ejector as well.

I want to make a tight fitting recoil assembly similar to the s12. A guide rod inside a tube with a close fit with a bleed port an inch or so before the ejector, once it passes that point it would then be an air spring keeping it from ejecting so hard. A dual spring setup like the s12 has would be cool as well, let it open And close with a low rate spring but a high rate spring to slow it down before the ejector. I will make one for the 308 and .223

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I think my V-1 2010 23" Vepr is a 1:12.6R Twist. 147gr seems best in mine of what I have tried through it, I haven't tried lighter. 180 gr has a lot of fliers for me.

Not sure why but my pencil profile 22" 1:12 mag fed lever Win 88 in .308 is not as picky. In fact after I get my new scope on it I would like to start walking the SMK 175 out 1000yards.

Someone recently told me it is the jump to the lands. In the same conversation someelse said it is the primers, they are too hot and and have to much pressure variance. In the lighter bullets he didn't think that the quick pressure pulse of hot primers deformed the bullet ass end nearly as much.

I actually think it mught be a combination, as the Win .308 was designed to run out of 1:12R twist barrels, I don't think the slightly slower Vepr Twist is the whole issue.

But every rifle or pistol will definately have a favorite diet.

If you hand load try loading down a little bit to get a more consistent slightly slower round and your groups should tighten up.

Edited by earlytom
  • 2 weeks later...

Yea, have some site adjustments to make. Wish it was easier and I more time to do nothing but play with the firearms! Hopefully HOPEFULLY next weekend. We'll see. 

I do think that casing damage is pretty common to the vepr.

It is common to all AK variants.  Even my Galil does it.  It is also common to the FAL.  You can tune the ejector on the FAL to kick it further forward though, but untuned, yeah even the FAL will do it.

You can reload them provided it's a dent and not a cut.  The expanding gasses and strength of the chamber walls will reform the brass.  It's just that you may not get as much life out of the casings from the wear of the bending every time the top cover dents the casing.  Some guys rivet a piece of rubber to the top cover to keep it from happening.

• 3 weeks later...

So that dent comes from the brass hitting the dust cover as it is flying out?

Correct. The brass also tends to fly in random directions usually to another zip code. Although I did have one fly straight up in the air and land right next to me when shooting from a bench. 

Correct. The brass also tends to fly in random directions usually to another zip code. Although I did have one fly straight up in the air and land right next to me when shooting from a bench. 

Draco nailed it.  He he my 1887 12 gauge lever action is a top eject and it sends one every so often flying up over my shoulder.  lol  :D

• 1 year later...

I've fiddled around with a few brass catchers, and they are all nuisances. My favorite thing for this was to zip tie a piece of heavy flexible leather to the scope rings. It hangs down the right side with a bit of a gap. you can work the charging handle. The brass just hits the leather and falls down.