Here's why .

According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 40's, 50's, 60's, or even maybe the early 70's probably shouldn't have survived.

Our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paint.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets, ...and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets. (Not to mention the risks we took hitchhiking.)

As children, we would ride in cars with no seatbelts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pickup truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle.

Horrors!

We ate cupcakes, bread and butter, and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle, and no one actually died from this.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then rode down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes.

After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the street lights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day.

NO CELL PHONES!!!!!

Unthinkable!

We did not have Play stations, Nintendo 64, X-! Boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, video tape movies, surround sound, personal cell phones, personal computers, or Internet chat rooms.

We had friends!

We went outside and found them.

We played dodge ball, and sometimes, the ball would really hurt.

We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

They were accidents.

No one was to blame but us.

Remember accidents?

We had fights and punched each other and got black and blue and learned to get over it.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate worms, and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes, ! Nor did the worms live inside us forever.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's home and knocked on the door, or rang the bell or just walked in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team.

Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment.

Some students weren't as smart as others, so they failed a grade and were held back to repeat the same grade.

Horrors!

Tests were not adjusted for any reason.

Our actions were our own.

Consequences were expected.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of.

They actually sided with the law.

Imagine that!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors, ever.

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovationand new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success! And responsibility,and we learned how to deal with it all.

And you're one of them!

Congratulations!

Please pass this on to others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before anyone including the government regulated our lives, for our own good !!!!!

People under 34 are WIMPS !

• Like 1

Government didnt regulate my childhood, and Im only 31. I guess Im a whimp. sad.pnglaugh.png

On a lighter note, I had family that taught me the important things in life, and still got to taste freedom.

Edited by Captain Hero
  • Like 1

I'm sorry, but I admire the Depression/WWII generation more than any other.

Grew up with nothing, mobilized and traveled the world loudly kicking ass, came home,

got married, bought a house, raised kids in such a great society they made TV shows about

it generations afterwards, and then saw the ball they passed dropped by the baby boomers.

• Like 7

I'm sorry, but I admire the Depression/WWII generation more than any other.

Grew up with nothing, mobilized and traveled the world loudly kicking ass, came home,

got married, bought a house, raised kids in such a great society they made TV shows about

it generations afterwards, and then saw the ball they passed dropped by the baby boomers.

Agreed. Seems society got worse with each generation, and continues to decline.

Edited by Captain Hero

Living means taking risks of all kinds.

Some people find that unacceptable. We call them "Progressive Democrats", today.

This is not necessarily a generational issue but, more of a cultural and economic one.

I grew up in the lower middle-class bracket, in the 80's. Playing outside was the only fun we had (no video games or cable TV inside). We invented games, built forts, made weapons from sticks, explored the woods, etc.

In my teens, mom remarried. We moved to suburbia, got video games, got cable tv, etc. It was quite a contrast but, by then, I was more adult than a kid anyway.

Times change but, I see the good decisions that my kids are making, as young adults, and it gives me hope.

History happens in cycles, over and over again.

Edited by Sim_Player
  • Like 1

Well if lead based paint is ok why do some bitch about Chinese milk, dog food and drywall? I remember in grade school seing a few kids that did eat the paint chips. Not how I want to spend the rest of my life. Nor would I take the chance with my kids lives (if I had any).

I did drink from the garden hose....once. Got hepititus A.

Some stuff is down right stupid but there are plenty of things that we learned the hard way. Like how many kids died because of no seatbelts? Im just saying... just cause you survived doesnt mean others did.

yep at 60 I'm not knocking any more, I'm just about kicking the damn thing down:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Bob+Dylan+Knocking+On+Heaven%27s+Door+Official+Music&Form=VQFRVP#view=detail&mid=83C7EBB474E3186D99AB83C7EBB474E3186D99AB

chances are it's more like I'm in the fast lane making good time to get there soon:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=highway+to+hell&qs=VA&form=QBVR&pq=hiway&sc=8-5&sp=2&sk=VA1#view=detail&mid=BE5B74049029C1A552D6BE5B74049029C1A552D6

Edited by the 4th Doctor
  • Like 1

It seems like there was always one kid in my group of friends that had his arm or leg in a cast at any time. We climbed tall trees that would kill you if you fell out, and jumped off of things so high it really hurt when you hit the ground. No helmets or elbow pads. Every one of us kids survived. Now, the shit that we did in cars as teenagers I couldn't really recommend. A few that I knew didn't survive that. But kids need to be allowed to take their bumps and bruises to a certain extent.

• Like 1

Im 61 & watched all our rights erode because the bleeding hearts have taken Darwinism out of Society's equation, WORSE they learned a lesson from my generation, "a time when we were still being educated", in the 60's & early 70's we scared the hell out of society & made them feel scared & inferior because we were more educated than our parents and refused to live life from inside the little box perspective everyone had at that time.

Given the current direction & speed of the deterioration of our society Im glad im 61 & have no need to interact with the general public any longer, Im beginning to understand another antiquated term ........Hermits

• Like 3

The thing that I find funny about seatbelts is that people give the credit to government and their regulations. When there are innovations in safety government jumps in and grabs the credit, and it works. Consumers over time would choose safer cars that provided seatbelts thus creating market pressure and incentive for auto makers to build cars with seatbelts, or lose capitol to auto makers who did. Instead of letting this play out the government jumps in and mandates things and takes all the credit for the lives saved. They know best and are saving us, by force. People lap this shit up and thank government for innovations that private individuals created. Who invented the seatbelt? Which auto makers added seatbelts prior to the regulations? These answers aren't important, all we need to know is that government saved us from ourselves, again.

Around 65 years old here. Remember the next door neighbour who bought a brand new Studebaker Avante and it came with front seatbelts. Wow! Why would anybody need those? Remember having to put a PC crankcase pressure smog valve on my 55 Buick Roadmaster which I bought with my own money. I was outraged at having to do so.

Barely made the high school JV football team as a third stringer, but did not letter. I was just glad to be on the team. Too skinny. Also tried out for the baseball teams, but somebody had a better curve ball than me and was faster around the base paths too. We had homework and term papers that had to be actually done. Graduated OK.

Our high school had a rifle club and I was president of it one year. Actually brought Garands, Springfields and Carbines with ammo to school early in the am. The vice principal would lock it all up in a big armoured closet....in the afternoon once a month in the spring, we all took a school bus out to the old Silverado Canyon CA rifle range.

Things are so totally different and worserer today than back in 1960 or soosss it even can not be comprehended. Oh well. HB of CJ (old coot)

Edited by HB of CJ
  • Like 2

Not properly assessing "risk to the public" is a lazy form of legislating.

Well if lead based paint is ok why do some bitch about Chinese milk, dog food and drywall? I remember in grade school seing a few kids that did eat the paint chips. Not how I want to spend the rest of my life. Nor would I take the chance with my kids lives (if I had any).

I did drink from the garden hose....once. Got hepititus A.

Some stuff is down right stupid but there are plenty of things that we learned the hard way. Like how many kids died because of no seatbelts? Im just saying... just cause you survived doesnt mean others did.

Not one vote for Romney in Philadelphia. Officially. Edited by Sim_Player

Not properly assessing "risk to the public" is a lazy form of legislating.

I did drink from the garden hose....once. Got hepititus A.

Not one vote for Romney in Philadelphia. Officially.

??????????????

"People over 34 should be dead"

well to this I'd say in some cases Yes, who cares please let them go.

and in some cases NO, let's see how long they can go on looking this good.

Note: I left some political figures out of this post, but there are some of them that should have been gone by 34.

post-26137-0-58430300-1392215581_thumb.jpg

post-26137-0-51865800-1392215599.jpg

post-26137-0-89163200-1392215629.png

post-26137-0-53397600-1392215654_thumb.jpg

I'm 60 and believe America has seen it's better days.  As a people we have done many self destructive things that our children and grandchildren will pay for in ways we don't yet fully comprehend....but there will be suffering.

Here's why .

According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 40's, 50's, 60's, or even maybe the early 70's probably shouldn't have survived.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets, ...and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets. (Not to mention the risks we took hitchhiking.)

Horrors!

We ate cupcakes, bread and butter, and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle, and no one actually died from this.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then rode down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the street lights came on.

NO CELL PHONES!!!!!

Unthinkable!

We did not have Play stations, Nintendo 64, X-! Boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, video tape movies, surround sound, personal cell phones, personal computers, or Internet chat rooms.

We had friends!

We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

They were accidents.

Remember accidents?

We had fights and punched each other and got black and blue and learned to get over it.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate worms, and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes, ! Nor did the worms live inside us forever.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's home and knocked on the door, or rang the bell or just walked in and talked to them.

Some students weren't as smart as others, so they failed a grade and were held back to repeat the same grade.

Horrors!

Imagine that!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors, ever.

We had freedom, failure, success! And responsibility,and we learned how to deal with it all.

And you're one of them!

Congratulations!

Please pass this on to others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before anyone including the government regulated our lives, for our own good !!!!!

Listen. You stupid 40's, 50's, 60's generations VOTED FOR THE SAFETY BULLSHIT REGULATIONS WE 80's+ kids had to suffer with.

To all the people able to vote prior to the 1990's.

Fuck you!

Edited by SN13
  • Like 1

I played football, hockey and other garbage in the streets until after the lights came on. Climbed trees, fell from many and don't remember much of it. I don't eat sugary crap because I'm diabetic, but even before that didn't have a taste for it. I never attempted a high school or little league sport because I figured I'd suck. I'm 31 but I wouldn't say my age makes me a wuss. As others have said, I had no voting power for half the crap my generation had to put up with, like the 94 AWB........

Yes I had and still have the power of the vote,

but before you blame me for what's happened.

The problem is I have one vote but so do a bunch of other people I don't agree with.

Any one here vote for Barry O twice or even once for that matter?

So how is he in the White House?

You can vote but you can't fix stupid on a massive scale or even out vote it.

post-26137-0-87298500-1392257466.jpg

• Like 4

Yup we each had just one vote. Aside from that an awful lot of that regulation comes from unelected burecrats that none of us could then or can now seem to get a handle on. Lawsuits have also played a large role.

Something left out of the OP is that as a result of growing up in the environment we did most of if us developed a little thicker skin, learned the difference between a humorous comment and malicious intent.

I'd like to thank sn13 for demonstrating so well the negative affect this has had on the generation.

When I first read the content of the OP it made me chuckle a little so I copied and pasted it here for others to enjoy. Never would have guessed it would draw such serious reactions.

Lighten up fuckers.

Here's why .

Horrors!

NO CELL PHONES!!!!!

Unthinkable!

We had friends!

They were accidents.

Remember accidents?

Horrors!

Imagine that!

And you're one of them!

Congratulations!

Listen. You stupid 40's, 50's, 60's generations VOTED FOR THE SAFETY BULLSHIT REGULATIONS WE 80's+ kids had to suffer with.

Fuck you!

the laws were invoke to protect the new crop of the uneducated , & you prove my point ........when I stated WE were educated back then

Edited by wasrNwarpaint
  • Like 1

Here's why .

Horrors!

NO CELL PHONES!!!!!

Unthinkable!

We had friends!

They were accidents.

Remember accidents?

Horrors!

Imagine that!

And you're one of them!

Congratulations!

Fuck you!

the laws were invoke to protect the new crop of the uneducated , & you prove my point ........when I stated WE were educated back then

Then how do you explain Joe Biden? haha.gif