Bolt carrier mod help

I have a bolt carrier from a "professionally converted s12 I've had for a few years. It has a vertical charging handle welded in place, and that's the problem for me. I'd like to have it cut off and have one more like the factory original welded on. I'd also like to get one of the heavy duty piston rods like the Tom Cole / Cadiz product installed. Where's a good place I could send just the carrier in to have just those x2 mods done, and what would be a fair price? Thanks for any help.

I can understand you wanting to change out the charging handle. but, why on earth would you want to pay to have another gas piston installed? truthfully, there is nothing wrong with the factory piston, the  after market S12 parts, is just a bunch of marketing hype of telling you need this or that to make your S12 run better.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

I can understand you wanting to change out the charging handle. but, why on earth would you want to pay to have another gas piston installed? truthfully, there is nothing wrong with the factory piston, the  after market S12 parts, is just a bunch of marketing hype of telling you need this or that to make your S12 run better.

I thought the Tom Cole piston was made after having many fail.  The heavy duty gas piston isn't about making a gun run better, it is about avoiding a catastrophic failure, eliminating a weakness.

I thought the Tom Cole piston was made after having many fail.  The heavy duty gas piston isn't about making a gun run better, it is about avoiding a catastrophic failure, eliminating a weakness.

I've had mine for over 4 years now, and I shoot higher velocity 00 buck (1425fps)  and slugs exclusively from a 13 inch barrel, and no indication of any piston failure. be interesting to know the ones that did fail, what else was done to them, ie. drilling out the gas port holes larger, or adding gas port holes.

I wanted to add a little weight and slow cycling a hair, as well as lessen felt recoil for a smoother action. I've actually tried one that was on another s12 ( I used his carrier / my bolt ) at a local gun club on a family and friends day I was invited to. With my tac 47 plug my s12 cycled fine like usual, but it felt smoother and didn't seem to slam rearward to the receiver heel as hard. It may have been all in my mind but I want mine set up that way any how. I don't need anything re-profiled or polished, just the new piston installed, vertical charging handle cut and an original type welded on instead. I could even clean up the weld and file it to work with my action (to clear the receiver / top cover), I just need the welding / machine work to install the piston done.

I've had mine for over 4 years now, and I shoot higher velocity 00 buck (1425fps)  and slugs exclusively from a 13 inch barrel, and no indication of any piston failure. be interesting to know the ones that did fail, what else was done to them, ie. drilling out the gas port holes larger, or adding gas port holes.

I think sometimes they just fail, yours could fail tomorrow or it could last a lifetime, nobody really knows.  One thing that has never happened is a Tom Cole piston breaking.

I wanted to add a little weight and slow cycling a hair, as well as lessen felt recoil for a smoother action. I've actually tried one that was on another s12 ( I used his carrier / my bolt ) at a local gun club on a family and friends day I was invited to. With my tac 47 plug my s12 cycled fine like usual, but it felt smoother and didn't seem to slam rearward to the receiver heel as hard. It may have been all in my mind but I want mine set up that way any how. I don't need anything re-profiled or polished, just the new piston installed, vertical charging handle cut and an original type welded on instead. I could even clean up the weld and file it to work with my action (to clear the receiver / top cover), I just need the welding / machine work to install the piston done.

Check with Cobra at Cobra's Customs, I know he can do the piston install and I think he can do the carrier work as well.

This was my understanding also. The wobble in the factory one could cause it to crack at the mounting point.

Maybe cobra could chime in.