Salem 6 or T&N handguard

I know you guys are probably getting sick of seeing me post questions, but I'm ordering a hand guard for my non xn mka.

I have it down to the t&n lvl 10 shorty and salem6 units. The firebird would be in the running its just to much for me to spend right now, the T&N short lvl 10's are on sale.

I see that both have advantages, the t&n has the side charger and is billet aluminum obviously. But the salem 6 is going to be lighter and looks like the fit is a little better. Also how long in the salem6 unit?

Thanks

I'd love firebird and honestly the t&n would normally be off the table, price wise but the short one is on sale for 159.00

To be on honest I would have skipped the lvl

10, don't really need the side charger and went with the cheaper lvl 2 but the level

10 comes with the new drive block and from all the reading I've done the non xn's are prone to fail.

Edited by blueknight6670

I can't compare and contrast the Salem 6 against the T&N. I chose my Salem 6 because it had the look I was after. I am absolutely, thoroughly impressed

with the fit and finish. A nice side bonus was that all the slots line up with Magpul rail accessories.

3e473d8f-70a3-4338-bdda-02f5dcd8ff4f.jpg

I am very pleased with how it turned out.

Well I ordered the T&N lvl 10 shorty in FDE, at that price how can you pass it up. I had a few questions how does the short work with the original guide rod? Also I wanted to order a bottom rail section but the website had a bunch of choices and didn't really say which ones worked where on the shorty. I emailed Matt and I hope he gets back to me by the time it ships. If I had one complaint that would be it, make the site a little more user friendly so you know what parts work with the lvl 10 shorty and where. Also maybe some instructions so I can be prepared for the install.

I'll post pics and a review when I get the handguard. Maybe I'll try and do some instructions, I'm not the greatest with the computer though

Does anyone have a pic of the shorty mounted? Can't seem to find one anywhere

Pics of mine here.  Note that using the shorty allows you to attach a standard length barrel shroud for an S-12 if you desire (need the Tom Cole adapter from Cadiz Gun Works)

You need to buy the T&N shorty guide rod to work with the forearm.  The only problem with the shorty guide rod is that they didn't thread the exposed end with SAE threads for a nice nut like on their standard length guide rod.  They went ahead and put the funky Turkish threads on it so you use the factory nut which looks like crap.  My intent is to turn down that end and re-thread it, but I just haven't had time to mess with it.  I'm still scratching my head as to why they did it that way.

Does anyone have a pic of the shorty mounted? Can't seem to find one anywhere

Pics of mine here. Note that using the shorty allows you to attach a standard length barrel shroud for an S-12 if you desire (need the Tom Cole adapter from Cadiz Gun Works)

You need to buy the T&N shorty guide rod to work with the forearm. The only problem with the shorty guide rod is that they didn't thread the exposed end with SAE threads for a nice nut like on their standard length guide rod. They went ahead and put the funky Turkish threads on it so you use the factory nut which looks like crap. My intent is to turn down that end and re-thread it, but I just haven't had time to mess with it. I'm still scratching my head as to why they did it that way.

Well again no where on the site does it say you need to order the new guide rod. I may just cancel my order and get the Salem 6 I was only getting it because it seemed like a good deal I can't afford the guide rod too.

blueknight 6670-- please, give us a rest.

Please don't bother looking at my posts then sorry to fatigue your eyes so much.

BlueKnight,

Please, if you use an optic, don't post your pix with it mounted backwards...kidding.

Have fun with your build.

R K

Thanks RK Edited by blueknight6670

Shorty guide rod is listed as an option on the drop down box for both XN and Pre-XN guide rods.

We never offered the guide rod and forend as a package because the shorties are not exactly a big seller, 1/month if we are lucky. And we began producing the guide rods after we made our shorty forend. A shorty guide rod is essentially a standard length that has been cut down.