Scored me an Izhmash Biathlon Basic 7-2-KO .22WMR Rifle. . .

In the spirit of the 2014 Winter Olympic games, I scored me a like new Izhmash Biathlon Basic 7-2-KO rifle, chambered for .22WMR.  She came with two 10rnd magazines and a decent Weaver 4-14x AO scope.  I drove out to the firing range this morning to put her through her paces. . . alas, the range was closed for maintenance (go figure).  Anyway, I'm really looking forward to operating the toggle action bolt and seeing just how tight a group I can achieve with her.  These 7-2-KO rifles are reportedly exceedingly accurate . . . but I'm sure much of that has to do with who's pulling the trigger.  laugh.png

Here is a short and sweet article regarding the Izhmash Biathlon 7-2-KO rifle:  http://www.rpgfirearms.com.au/IZHMASH%20.22.htm

IMG_0676_zpsc337b8c5.jpg

IMG_0682_zpsbb161d4b.jpg

IMG_0679_zps18ac6f7a.jpg

Edited by Gary
  • Like 3

I took the BB 7-2-KO .22 WMR out to the range this morning and spent a couple of hours with her.  I fired approximately 120 rounds down range using three different types of ammunition: Hornady 30 gr. V-Max, Armscor Precision 40 gr. jacketed hollow point, and Winchester Super X.

CIMG5632_zpse0599789.jpg

The temperature this morning was a cool 38 degrees and it was breezy.  All shooting was performed at 50 yard targets.  The rifle definitely liked the Hornady 30 gr. V-max the best (good thing I have approximately 1,000 rounds of the stuff stowed-away).  Anyway, below are target comparison photos with the three different types of ammunition.  The black circle diameters of the targets is 5 7/8 inches.

Here is the Hornady 30 gr.

CIMG5625_zps3eef41d5.jpg

Here is the Armscor Precision 40 gr. (which I started the shooting session with, and which I used to adjust the scope's POI on target)

CIMG5629_zpsb3d6cb8b.jpg

And here's the Winchester Super X

CIMG5627_zpsf6ecb015.jpg

All shooting was performed from a bag, and as mentioned, it was pretty darned breezy out.

CIMG5624_zpsb3e24ee0.jpg

SUMMARY:  I was very, very pleased with how the rifle's toggle action fed and ejected the rimfire ammunition.  I experienced zero issues with either feeding or ejecting.  After shooting several 10rnd magazines, operating the toggle quickly became second nature, I found closing the bolt was easiest and most natural to perform by placing my fingers' extended knuckles up against it, and pushing the bolt home.  Cycling the action in that manner allowed me to pretty-much keep my firing hand's thumb stationary throughout, and provided me the ability to keep my eye on target through the scope.  The trigger on this rifle breaks superbly; I would not change a thing with it.

Anyway, the little Biathlon Basic .22WMR was a great pleasure to shoot.  Having thoroughly cleaned the rifle prior to taking her out to the firing line, at the present time I have only three criticisms for the rifle.  1)  Removing the bolt for a thorough cleaning is a wee-bit of a pain in the ass because it requires pulling a pin located at the very rear top of the rifle's receiver, and the only way to do that is to remove the scope from the receiver (guess I will need to obtain Quick Detach rings for this rifle's scope).  2)  The rifle's trigger blade is less than desirable (obviously, a matter of personal preference); it's very thin and to me screams to have a trigger shoe affixed to it.  3)  The rear stock requires some sort of cheek riser to obtain a good cheek weld and sight picture with the scope.

The latter two issues are completely addressable and I look forward to slightly customizing the rifle to bring it up to my personal preferences.  The first issue; the steps required to remove the bolt from the rifle's receiver, is simply "just one of those things."  As mentioned, a quick-detach mono-ring cantilever mount setup should do the trick quite nicely.

~Gary

CIMG5622_zps6e1b6261.jpg

Edited by Gary
  • Like 3

I've wanted to try a biathalon type rifle for a while. The CZ ones look pretty sweet as well.

Is the cheek riser intended for chin weld or irons? The latter makes sense to me, especially with the pin you mentioned.

I've wanted to try a biathalon type rifle for a while. The CZ ones look pretty sweet as well.

Is the cheek riser intended for chin weld or irons? The latter makes sense to me, especially with the pin you mentioned.

A cheek riser on this rifle would address the cheek weld/head orientation height for eye alignment into the scope.  IF the Izhmash Biathlon 7-2-KO had iron sights (which it does not), then its rear stock configuration would be terrific.

Edited by Gary

You know..... its frustrating that such a range is closed to the public. I have to go all the way out the the woods just to do a little shooting. And the JBLM range isnt too far away from me. Also when i was a contractor on base for GDLS styker group as a mechanic it was still off limits for me. Such bull.

During many occasions I have witnessed folks sign-in at the range to shoot, that had no military affiliation.   The guys that run the range are breaking the rules in allowing that. . . but they simply want to support anyone that participates in the shooting sports.  Besides, if you knew someone at the installation (Active Duty or retiree such as myself) then its simple enough to link-up with them during a weekend at the firing range, and shoot.

• 3 weeks later...

Picked me up a used SUHL .22 bolt action rifle stock off of eBay the other day.  Looking forward to modifying the stock and fitting the Izhmash Biathlon's action and glass bedding everything.  Believe this SUHL stock's ergonomics will much improve the toggle-action rifle.  wink.png

CIMG5661_zpsb45f2145.jpg

Nice. The finish looks ugly in the picture but knowing you, it won't stay that way for long.

Actually, I don't mind the orangish original finish on the SUHL stock, but you're correct; I'm going to change it.  I need to fill in the holes and slots of the SUHL stock which accommodated the original rifle's action. . . which means when finishing the wood, I'll need to paint it (versus staining).  Anyway, this is a bit of a long term project.  I likely won't complete it until later this summer.