Catamount Fury II will not cycle low brass at all!!

Hi, all 

I purchased my catamount fury 2 in January of this year and have been shooting at least every weekend, For some reason the gun will not cycle any type of target loads I buy. I've tried everything from Federal Target loads, Remington gun club, and Fiocci loads and none of them will work. It cycles high brass shells perfectly ! I've shot at least 25 of 30 rounds of high brass buck shot through it  I have tried loads that have been 1145 Velocity to 1355 and none of them work. :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated ! 

THANK YOU!!!!

I had similar issues with mine.  I wound up gutting it and replacing all but the pistol grip with parts from a Vepr12, now she runs like butter.  In hindsight, it would've been easier just buying a Vepr and swapping pistol grips.

Edited by hdskumm
  • Like 3

Probably because buckshot is what the gun was originally designed to shoot. huh.png

What, if someone breaks into your house, are you planning to shoot a round of skeet with them first before possibly detaining them? rolleyes.gif

How many defensive shotguns (police cars and ones used by the armed forces (not counting door breaching rounds, for example) out there right now do you think are loaded with target loads? ph34r.png 

Not trying to be a dick here, but if you want a shotgun that you can shoot a round of skeet with, and maybe also use for home defense, go buy a Beretta pump. 022.gif

• Like 1

I had similar issues with mine.  I wound up gutting it and replacing all but the pistol grip with parts from a Vepr12, now she runs like butter.  In hindsight, it would've been easier just buying a Vepr and swapping pistol grips.

Could you possibly tell me what parts you bought ? Thanks!

Probably because buckshot is what the gun was originally designed to shoot. :huh:

What, if someone breaks into your house, are you planning to shoot a round of skeet with them first before possibly detaining them? :rolleyes:

How many defensive shotguns (police cars and ones used by the armed forces (not counting door breaching rounds, for example) out there right now do you think are loaded with target loads? :ph34r: 

Not trying to be a dick here, but if you want a shotgun that you can shoot a round of skeet with, and maybe also use for home defense, go buy a Beretta pump. :killer:

Someone had to say it.

And the same goes for the Saiga. It's a defensive shotgun, use defensive loads. To save a buck you'll spend more to make it run. What's the point?

Versatility. 

It only costs $7 in sandpaper and maybe drill bits to make just about any saiga run properly with all the ammo the manufacturer designed it for and claims it will run. 

Obviously running HD worthy ammo is a good idea, but there's a lot of peace of mind from knowing your gun will function even with a less ideal shell.

No one has ever identified an advantage of not tuning a saiga to run properly. When is less versatile more useful?

p.s. Assuming the feed angles are correct and all that, I'm sure much the same is true for the Chinese Saiga clone.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I had the same issue with my fury. I took a dremal to it and took off all the paint on the insides and also polished everything and took a little off the bottom of the bolt that slides across the hammer and tore the pin apart and polished it up and cleaned all the junk and burs outta it and it runs smooth as butter. It will run target loads with a few hiccups and ftes but itll run them. Just clean all that crap outta the housing and pin and make sure your ports are clear and polish it all up and you should be good to go or at least wayyyy better than it is right now

I've noticed that the gas piston puck is smaller in diameter, so logically the ports would need to be slightly larger as well.

One could probably do the math calculating the area of a saiga piston puck and dividing it by the area of the gas ports. This ratio could then be run on the fury to make the force exerted on the piston roughly the same.

I'm of the opinion that the fury has a lot of resistance on the bolt carrier due to a couple of things. The front spring is too small in diameter to correctly feed into the bolt carrier, and the dust cover is on the wrong side of the recoil spring, allowing it to drag on the bolt carrier. Then the whole carrier is shot blasted and feels like sand paper, smoothing it a little helps.

Another area is the gas tube, on mine it looks like the reamer was over due for changing, the surface is very rough and adds no small amount of resistance.

• 1 year later...

The CSS or DPH regualtor also improve function across a broader range of Ammo. Like the FN FAL....

They'll make the gun more versatile without beating itself (or the shooter) to death but they won't improve function.

• Like 1

It does improve function in the sense that you can adjust the regulator so the gun will cycle reliably without beating the crap out of itself or the shooter with a wider variety of ammo than the stock plug.

Isn't that what I said?

I have to agree with the MM and GunFun- a regulator is best used in a properly designed and maintained weapon.  They can be used to overcome wear and fouling (some- a la FAL), but one must first ahve a properly manufactured system for an adjustable regulator to do its job.  Sounds as if we all actually agree, in spite of our difficulties using a common language!

• 1 month later...

well I got my NIB catamount fury 1 yesterday and took it out in the backyard just now and ran 10 rounds of low brass 2 3/4 dr. eq. Remington gun club target loads in it with out a hitch. the only preps I did was run a swab in the barrel before shooting and change the choke to the imp cylinder (I should note the full choke that was in it, was IN IT. took some effort to remove)

got to say the gun looks and seems better than what I expected. it a came in a foam lined black century arms box not the styrofoam in a brown box I've seen in some photos and videos. who know it may be a later import and they've upped their game some on quality.