I got a saiga 12 in on trade a year or 2 ago. Never shot it. Did the conversion yesterday.

Went to test fire it today with 2 3/4" buck. Locked the mag in, pulled on it to make sure it was secure.10 round agp mag filled with 10. Released the bolt to chamber a shell, and fired.

Mag flew out of gun, shells went everywhere. No shell was chambered after the shot. The mag has a big hunk out of the top front of it that wasn't there before.

It was the only mag I got ith the gun, now I absolutely need to buy some. What are the best ones to get? Anyone have problems with the agp mags such as the problem I just had?

Thanks in advance.

I had one that the front lug broke off of, and they sent me a new mag body - no questions asked.

http://www.agparms.com/contact/

If you plan on keeping the gun, I would suggest getting one of the new CSSPECS steel mags. They are of the highest quality, and will not break in cold weather as some polymer mags will. The have just hit the market, so they are not cheap, but you get what you pay for, and they will not let you down.

edit - here is the link... http://stores.csspecs.com/saiga-12-gauge/

Edited by 7.62m43

If you break the steel mags, you've done something. Sorry about the problem. I would have shot it prior to the conversion IMO. Follow the link in post #2 and go from there. I try to stick with Russian mags when I can, but SGM's are good too, and cost less. The new CSSpecs mags look promising to, and a less price than Russian.

• 2 weeks later...

So far I've bought six of the new CSSPECS steel S12 mags.

I will buy more of them, I will sell off all my SGM mags and never buy poly again.

The new mags are the shit!  Screw the factory eights, step aside boys cause you've been surpassed.

• Like 2

I'd recommend either SGM or CSSpecs new steel mags, the steel mags will need fitting, but it'll take a hell of a lot more for them to break.

+1 These days just about everything on the market is good. I wouldn't buy promag sticks though. They might be OK now, but they had so many sucky ones, and I'm still chapped about the 10/22 drum I bought from them that couldn't possibly have worked. (They had to know they were selling a non-functioning product, but they still sold it.) Personally, I prefer the one piece design of SGM over AGP. Less tolerances, and no stupid steel clip.

The CSSpecs mag is excellent, and makes good sense for the bedside or truck mag that lives in the gun. Just little harder for a fast reload. IMO a good combo is a proper bolt profile, a CSSpecs in the gun, and an SGM for the fast reload/ slug select. (If that is something you want or need.) 

In fairness, a few of the first run SGM mags (surefire in those days) did break in extreme cold weather with heavy ammo. I've only heard of three instances back in around 2007 though. 

For hunting, either a factory 5 or a KeepShooting 5 plugged to 3-0. (fits 3 open bolt or 2 closed for max of 3 in the gun.)