Do you do something that "creeps people out?"

OK.. I was a severe ADHD child, and some of the weird parts of it carried over into my adult life. One of those things is an almost photographic memory for a lot of things, especially people's faces and names. I've had numerous people tell me this over the years, including strangers who were "victims" of this. About a year ago my wife pointed it out, before I'd ever complained about it to her, so now I see that it's probably true.

Apparently I creep people out because, most of the time, if I meet a person once, I remember their face and name, and most of the even small details that they share about themselves. Maybe not everything, but apparently way more than a "normal" person would remember about a stranger, or someone they only shared a few conversations with, etc. Even if we met and chatted once, and they don't remember me at all.

Now that I know about it, I sort of catching myself "pretending not to remember" names or details if I'm only meeting them the second/third time, or just have a casual relationship with them.

Anyone do something that creeps or freaks out people, or am I all alone here - maybe even "that guy"

Edited by mancat

I sometimes fart in public and it freaks my wife out. Most other people can't help but laugh a little though because her reaction is so over the top.

Faces and names are bar none the hardest thing there is for me to remember. Numbers are my thing, I still remember stuff like my address from forty years ago when I was a child. And machinery, I can dismantle a complex piece of machinery, pack it up in a warehouse for three years and remember how it goes back together with every detail. The guys I work with get kinda creeped out by that sometimes.

I put my hand down my pants and start master-bating, when I get nervous.

Just kidding.

A photogenic memory would be nice to have.

I have a hard time remembering peoples names. It only freaks people out when I keep calling them by their name, so that I can remember them better.

I have social anxiety, so I'm pretty quiet, most of the time.

Edited by Sim_Player

I'm sort of like mancat, except for a qualifier. The more fleeting, the more likely I will remember. If I see you every day, I'll fumble for your name. If you are a friend of a friend that I had a five minute conversation with a few years back, put me in a similar context and I will remember your tone, expression and all that business. I decided as a policy that if I am even remotely interested in a woman, I don't look at her facebook profile other than to see if she is single. I don't want to have to pretend not to know all those details. Besides, getting to know someone in person is more fun.

I will also without warning on occasion burst out laughing in a way that sounds like the villain in a 1950s melodrama. sardonic. It's not something that happens often, or that I do on purpose, but it is a conversation stopper. The whole room will stop and stare. 

I'm sort of a loner type. Not to an extreme, but I'm every bit as happy by myself as with other people. Most people find that hard to understand, but I don't need other people around me to validate me, which is why many people need to have other people around them all the time. Many people I meet are frankly just annoying to me, and I probably show it, which some people probably interpret negatively.

• Like 2

I'm 6'4" and have never been less than 260lbs in my adult life and right now I have a shaved head and 5" long goatee. That's pretty much enough to do the trick! I'm a teddy bear and would break my back if you needed the help, but I don't look it.

One time back in college (I was 27 at the time) a teenage girl in one of my classes asked me to walk her to her car. She was obviously from a humble background (full length denim skirt, neatly braided hair, no make up, VERY respectful, etc)... I laughed and told her that I'm the scariest thing should could find in that parking lot! smile.png Women regularly cross the street at night when I'm walking around. I just normally smile and wave. My 5'3" fiance is more capable of terror than I ever will be... she's an attorney!

I will also without warning on occasion burst out laughing in a way that sounds like the villain in a 1950s melodrama. sardonic. It's not something that happens often, or that I do on purpose, but it is a conversation stopper. The whole room will stop and stare. 

For some reason that seems to fit perfectly with what little I know of you from here and on youtube... You handling knives is enough to make me shudder.

Edited by Maxwelhse
  • Like 1

I'm very much like what DogMan described. Very happy in my own head, is the way I put it. People often take it as bashful and shy. Not really. I'm fairly confident, and observing and evaluating constantly.

• Like 1

We all have our quirks.  I guess mine is my sick sense of humor.  They'll get over it. But nothing like this guy I work with that blows his nose in his hands.  Very, very disturbing and gross (not to mention unsanitary).  Yes, I have told him it is fucking gross. 

Feel free to pick one or more:

I own guns

I shoot guns

I'm 60

I got no teeth

I drink

I smoke

It's not that I don't know, it's that I don't give a shit about most stuff that's going on

I've come to believe my dad had it right when he said: "The more you deal with people the better you like your dog, and you'd shoot the damn dog."

• Like 2

I don't have any interest in watching sports. I'd rather read than watch tv. I only drink once every few years (and it's usually alone). I go out in the deep woods for a week or more alone and prefer it that way. My friends know that I probably will not show up for a party but if they're workin on their house I'm happy to be there workin with em. I don't celebrate any holidays and prefer to work em (the guys I work with love this). I carry a loaded gun, all the time, in NYS. And, like Captain Hero, I'm a creepy ginger!

OK.. I was a severe ADHD child, and some of the weird parts of it carried over into my adult life. One of those things is an almost photographic memory for a lot of things, especially people's faces and names. I've had numerous people tell me this over the years, including strangers who were "victims" of this. About a year ago my wife pointed it out, before I'd ever complained about it to her, so now I see that it's probably true.

Apparently I creep people out because, most of the time, if I meet a person once, I remember their face and name, and most of the even small details that they share about themselves. Maybe not everything, but apparently way more than a "normal" person would remember about a stranger, or someone they only shared a few conversations with, etc. Even if we met and chatted once, and they don't remember me at all.

Now that I know about it, I sort of catching myself "pretending not to remember" names or details if I'm only meeting them the second/third time, or just have a casual relationship with them.

Anyone do something that creeps or freaks out people, or am I all alone here - maybe even "that guy"

The memory of faces, names and details would be great for (detective) investigative work and in business for cultivating relationships, contacts prospects, etc.  I try to capitalize on my idiosyncrasies and gifts.  I wish I could do what you can.

I get along better with machines than I do people, I tend to detail people to death.

I do the same thing.  I work with a bunch of people, who have almost zero capability operating anything other than their big fucking mouths.  So when I have to explain something, I go into minute detail.  Most appreciate my thoroughness, however some dipshits say they understand what im saying, without actually getting it, while those who are willing to learn just listen.  

I would rather work with machines also, at least they follow a set of rules and make sense, they work properly or are broken, period.  People, on the other hand, will believe they are working properly, while being completely destroyed by machine standards.  Many feel they know everything after two weeks, these people can not be repaired, attempts will be made, those attempts will fail.  

I'm just fucked in the head to be honest, I know it. I raise a lot of eyebrows. I've seen things, done things, lived through things that have put a particular twist on the functioning on my noggin.   I see things and do things in a different manner. I hear crazy, fucked up and insane on a regular basis. One of my more endearing qualities. 

• Like 1

I'm just fucked in the head to be honest, I know it. I raise a lot of eyebrows. I've seen things, done things, lived through things that have put a particular twist on the functioning on my noggin.   I see things and do things in a different manner. I hear crazy, fucked up and insane on a regular basis. One of my more endearing qualities. 

akastormi,

That might be an issue in purchasing firearms or even ammo these days.  021.gif

PS....the haircut gave you away.