OK guys. My niece just got engaged and I found out through a post on FB.

1620417_10100803943338029_134550774_n.jp

I do kinda like the guy, he is into firearms. But I vested interest into my niece with prolific amounts of Diaper changes.

Yes I might be an ass by reminding him that daddies have to remain calm, but uncles can pull the trigger. 

But I still felt the need to post to his wall:

http://itsguycode.com/guycode/330-engagment-ring-or-50-caliber-barrett-.html

Engagement ring or 50 Barrett rifle?

• Like 1

13k for a ring is too much IMO. You can only go so big and then it becomes a target for criminals or people to think your loaded and start assuming things. Id spend 7k of the 13k on a ring, and buy a Barrett MRAD. Fuck the 107. As bad ass as it is, it has very limited use in my area.

Oh yeah, congrats on your niece Stormi.

Things that need to be shared...or explained...or just darn expressed. If that kind of $$$ is going to spent on an engagement ring....consider this instead.

http://www.anzionworks.com/MAG-FED-20MM-RIFLE.htm

Why have a puny .50 BMG when you can have, for about the same $$$ a very nice man or women portable 20mm rifle. Bolt action even. Works for me.

Also....I spent a ton of $$$ on an engagement ring and she gave it back to me 4 months before the wedding and just before the invites had to be printed up. Humm.

Sosss, years later I found the ring somewhere and preceded to go out and buy 5 cases of AK47 ammo. It was a cheap ring. Got more use out of the ammo, let me tell you.

Also....I have spent some time in the ER as an RN and PM and I do not want to tell you about the rich ladies who come in with no ring fingers. Whacked right off!

HB of CJ (old coot) (retarded FF PM RN) Now just retarded. smile.png

• Like 1

My wife is perfectly happy with the $400 ring I bought for her.  She picked it out for 50% off during christmas season, seven years ago.  She still goes to the jewelry store to get it cleaned every few months, and to keep the warranty up to date.  

Im lucky to have a girl who lives within our means, Im pretty sure her carry pistol cost more than her ring did.  Any rational woman would spend more on security than vanity anyways, right?

Edited by Boomsick42

any woman that would ACCEPT $13k ring from a guy who makes an average salary is bad news.

^^Right here. Any woman worth marrying understands its a partnership, for life. Every single thing is done for the family. A good woman would DEMAND her fiance return a $13k ring and use that money for a house down payment, or Roth IRA, or kids college fund, etc.

• Like 1

Preface: I'm lucky in the fact that my fiance doesn't believe in the jewel trade due to the political climates of most of the nations that export them, so I'm getting really luck because I get to buy her fake jewelry.

In my opinion, $13K is way too much money to dump on a woman, unless you're a millionaire or a fool.
That being said, good luck to your niece.

You've clearly never been in a long term relationship... My pure financial investment is in the tens of thousands after 6 years, not counting a ring. Must guys are probably in the same boat.

In a slightly different light,m My home theaters, tools, cars, and guns easily add up to many 10s of thousands (maybe even into a full 6-digit range if I really thought about it... been buying tools since I was 12) and she doesn't give me shit for spending my money where I want and how I want as long as the bills and paid and we're fed (And when the day comes the kids are taken care of)... MOST of the time.

I wouldn't have a problem investing that much money on her for something like a collector car that she would enjoy as much as we both enjoy my other toys that are mine exclusively. Or a craft room for her in our next house (look at the price jump between a 3 or a 4 bedroom house). So... It's not the same thing as a ring, but she certainly has other life expectation that I'm ultimately going to have to provide for her to be happy and that really doesn't bother me.

Now.. That much money for just a ring? That is just stupid.

• Like 2

I buy the  Wife Bling every year before we go on vacation. She is worth it and more . Took me 6 month to pay for her wedding ring 42 years ago $395 working 3 jobs and still in school.

13k I think is a bit to much. Its like buying a swimming pool and cannot fill it with water. It might bring hard ship to the new marriage.

Well. I hope for the best with my niece... Like I said, I like the guy.

Personally I bought the wife 3 diamond rings, She kept (cough, cough) losing them.... I'm divorced. 

The money woulda been better spent on a fifty cal in my personal situation.

PS- I sold all my guns before the divorce for a pack of cigarettes. Cost me 2 to get them back.  

• Like 5

this is the way I look at it;

if the guy is stupid enough to drop that much money into a ring, no skin off my nose. he isn't buying it with my money. 

he'll soon find out he made the biggest mistake of his life, when he's looking for a cardboard refrigerator box that doesn't fall apart in the rain to live in after his divorce.

• Like 2

Well. I hope for the best with my niece... Like I said, I like the guy.

Personally I bought the wife 3 diamond rings, She kept (cough, cough) losing them.... I'm divorced. 

The money woulda been better spent on a fifty cal in my personal situation.

PS- I sold all my guns before the divorce for a pack of cigarettes. Cost me 2 to get them back.

And the joking cynicism aside, he may make her happy for the rest of her life. My wife and I have been happily married for half of our lives now: 21 years, and she is priceless in my eyes. Here is to a lifetime of happiness to your niece and her fiancé.

• Like 3

Go with inexpensive rings and ceremony. I laugh when I see people spend 15 to 20K on one day. Save the money, kids are way to expensive. Got married in the cook county court house some 25 years ago, small reception at the in laws and a honeymoon sweet at local hotel with mirrors on the ceiling, hot tub etc. 500 bucks, rings where another 400. We are still married, most of the couples we knew at that time who did the 15K version are divorced.........

I bought my fiancée's engagement ring for 700. It was on sale 10% off and then got another 30% off by opening a credit card. No interest and paid it off quickly. The ceremony is where I'm trying to get her to cut back. The venues she's looking at are all about 3k per day.

And the joking cynicism aside, he may make her happy for the rest of her life. My wife and I have been happily married for half of our lives now: 21 years, and she is priceless in my eyes. Here is to a lifetime of happiness to your niece and her fiancé.

Congrats on your 21 years! I feel the same way about mine, but I have to confess that priceless sometimes seems more like valueless...

I kid.. I kid...! :)

• Like 1

My wife wears a white gold ring custom-made for the diamond that belonged to my great grandmother. It was given to me only after my wife (then girlfriend) passed all of my grandmother's "tests," though I'm still not sure what they were.

Edited by mancat

$13K?  I spent $300 on our entire wedding set.  Hers was an interlocking engagement ring/wedding band, and mine had a single 1/4 carat diamond, both in white gold.

However, congrats.  Now show him what's waiting if he breaks her heart.  electric_shock.gif

It must have been nice to get married in 1918... ;)

My sister wears a 100 year old mine cut diamond, probably belonged to someone VERY wealthy, due to its highly complex hand formed design. Looks nothing like the new stuff, she paid $350 for it.

My wife has an older estate ring, it had a great cost to value ratio. Its original cost in the 60s was $1400. Very nice looking ring, its an older design and she loves antiques.

I question the wisdom of spending that much on a ring. Hopefully it works out.

I will say, I wish I had taken control of the wedding and spent the money on an all included venue. Instead I ended up at a DIY wedding that got off track in every way.

One of the bigger regrets in my life.

We celebrated 30 years last November. Cindy's first set was right around a C-note if I remember correctly. (Hard times back then)

Needless to say, she has way better now, but she discovered quality CZ's and wears them, while leaving her good stuff in the safe. No one can tell them from the real thing without a jewelers eye.

We went to the courthouse and gave the Justice Of The Peace $10 to perform the ceremony. Best ten bucks I ever spent!! ;)

• Like 2