Best flash hider?

Hi,

Shot my 16" Saiga a couple time at the range during the day and the muzzle flash was huge! (Sorry no pics) Has some some comments from the other shooters on the line. Also had a chance to shoot it at night on New years eve at the range. Talk about lighting up the place. Looked like huge flash bulbs going off. 1st shot just blinded me. Anyways, I have been thinking about getting a threaded 14x1 LH adaptor TIG welded to the FSB. This way, I can put on a 74 type muzzle brake or a flash hider depending on what shooting I do. I was wondering what would be the best flash hider design. The long drag type birdcage or vortex? I did see pics comparing tthe vortex with M14 flash hider. Not too much of a differnce. Thanks in advance.

The Noveskes are more for short barreled rifles not that they wouldnt work, but they are bulk to hang on the end of a full length barrel. I have heard many praises for the Vortex by Smith. I have a Phoenix which is similar design by Saylor machine on a AR with a 18" barrel that works pretty well. Many of the birdcage styles work pretty well. My favorite is the Bulgarian Slotted type.

Edited by Onepoint

Hi Thanks for the suggestions. I saw a long birdcage flash hider for the ak's by DSA. They had it listed in one of their ads on SGN but it did appear not on their website. I'll give them a call to see. The other company that has the drag type flash hider still out of stock. I'll have to check with the company that makes the adaptor to fit ID .690-.700 and .123- .125 deep to see what they would cost. Thaks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I tried different kinds of ammo. First ones being USGI surplus. RA 61 ,67 M80 ball in stripper clip for the M14 rifle. (seems like there is a lot floating around in private hands here) Some WCC68, LC67 & 68. Some were in links for the M60. I figured that with the US military ammo, they would use powder that would flash less. I also use factory Federal American Eagle and some PMC ammo made in South Africa. Same thing. Its just that with the barrel being a short 16" so thats why you get the big flash. I have seen Mini 14s do the same thing and they have a 18 1/2" barrel.

Hi,

I tried different kinds of ammo. First ones being USGI surplus. RA 61 ,67 M80 ball in stripper clip for the M14 rifle. (seems like there is a lot floating around in private hands here) Some WCC68, LC67 & 68. Some were in links for the M60. I figured that with the US military ammo, they would use powder that would flash less. I also use factory Federal American Eagle and some PMC ammo made in South Africa. Same thing. Its just that with the barrel being a short 16" so thats why you get the big flash. I have seen Mini 14s do the same thing and they have a 18 1/2" barrel.

Thanks. The LC that I've fired in my 16" gave huge fireballs, but the Wolf, Australian, and Czech had no flash at all.