NOOB--Where Do I start...Saiga 7.62 X 39

OK, I'm very new to this. I just bought a Saiga 7.62 x 39  IZHMASH AK-47.

Obviously I hate the stock & foregrip where do I start to look for replacing these items, also need magazines as it only came with a 5 round?

I want to make this look nice without the cheap plastic parts, but do not want to go the wood route either. (Conversion Kits, pistol grips, etc)

I've started watching youtube vids & reading what I can, don't understand the Gas concept.

I apologize in advance, I I am a true novice on this.

Any & all help is greatly appreciated.

BJ

Well just google "saiga conversion parts" and a bunch of websites should come up. But your going to need a new stock, pistol grip, trigger group, trigger guard, and a lot more depending on what you want to do. Oh and a bullet guide to use any magazine above ten rounds. Gas concept? I guess your referring to that it's a gas operated firearm? Which basically means the expanding gases from the burning gun powder is what makes the gun function. And I guess by no wood or cheap plastic you want mil-spec quality parts? If that's the case you looking at least another 250-1000 dollars depending on what you want to do

Edited by Yugopap4me

If you don't want plastic or wood furniture, you're only options are metal or stone. :)

Spend the next several weeks digging around this sight and the web. You have a lot to take in.

The gas concept is simple...Gases traveling down the barrel (behind the bullet) are allowed to escape through a small hole, pushing backwards against the gas piston and bolt carrier and into the recoil spring. The spring pushes the bolt carrier forward, loading the next round.

Find a buddy that knows more than you, about shooting, and your education will be easier, safer, and more enjoyable.

I wasn't raised around guns, so that's the best advise I can offer, if you are in the same position that I was (15 years ago).

Welcome to the family.

Edited by Sim_Player

This topic is a bit confusing to me. The OP obviously knew what he was getting into when he bought the saiga and knew before hand that it needed to be converted. I just don't understand why your first questions would be about the furniture of your saiga. Shouldn't your first questions be how to actually convert it without killing yourself? My first questions when I got a saiga where what calipers should I use and what jigs, drill press, etc. Furniture questions came much later. It sounds like you might be in over your head considering you dont even know what a gas system is. Your avatar pic with a tricked out ppk is even more confusing. It suggests you should already know this stuff

Edited by Yugopap4me

Thank you for all the suggestions, advice & comments. I laughed a few times & felt enlightened as well.....

I have been around guns my whole life, I love to hunt, I am very comfortable with a 30-06, shotgun & have fun tricking out a few pistols.

But, I'm definitely feeling overwhelmed right now, in a good way, concerning my recent purchase of the Saiga.

I don't think that I am ready to be doing the modifications myself, & I don't want to kill myself as someone alluded to below; so what I'm looking to do as many of you figured is buy the parts, (Conversion kits etc, I saw some aluminium pieces that looked best to me--then have someone or a shop assist me with the conversion process installation.

From researching online, youtube etc I see so many different builds, I don't quite understand what they all mean.

I want to gain a fundamental knowledge of the components & their uses.

Loved the explanations concerning the gas propulsion, really appreciated that.

I guess the second part of this is since I don't intent to do the modifications myself yet, how do i find the people & shops that will do that in my area & since Saiga isn't very interchangeable how do i make sure that the pieces will fit?

I am feeling better though because of you all, so I await the next batch of wisdom, jokes & comments that will be coming my way.

And the pistol in my profile photo is a Bersa .380 Thunder...

Other option is to post a general location like county and state or closest city center you are willing to give away.

I would be very comfortable doing the conversion, that said I haven't done one, I have a square back vepr and two saigas I bought them all to have "sporting weapons" I might throw some ak furniture on the vepr and see how the wife likes it, but its her gun so her call. I actually want to cut my own wood sporting stocks for my saigas. Anyways I'm west of Eugene oregon. Got the drill press and access to lathe and mill, have welders and I'm going to check out some rivet tools and make my own

• Like 1

I would suggest picking a reputable company on this website (like Tac 47 Industries) to, at least, do the basic conversation for you. They also offer many other services like refinishing, polishing friction parts, etc.

Most AKM (stamped sheet-metal receiver) furniture is interchangable between most AK variants. Milled receiver funiture is designed differently and can only be used on milled AK receivers.

• Like 1

In order to end-up with something similar to my build do the following;

Start at http://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/default.asp. (Whatever you are not sure about, email the staff, they answer quickly).

For Saiga rifle model 1Z-32 (AK) order Part Kit SKU#: CSS-RIFLE-2-T6-5PC (including stock, grip, trigger guard, trigger group, hole plugs) $152.

(You will need a separate bullet guide, if you wish to use Mil-Spec Magazines)

For side mount; Check out www.kalinkaoptics.com. Depending on your rail height preference, look at BP-02 AK to Weaver Mount, Low Profile, Centered (AMBP02) $70

My local gunsmith performed the conversion (including - stoning my trigger to 4lbs) for $85

Accuracy test from the range on Feb 19th 2014 = 3/4" MOA @ 100 yds, though it took a little effort to dial-in my POI, using a 1X EOTech at that distance on an "orange" target (but was well worth the effort).

Hope this helps...

post-49008-0-67366400-1392995013_thumb.jpg

post-49008-0-44884900-1392995093_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

In order to end-up with something similar to my build do the following;

Start at http://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/default.asp. (Whatever you are not sure about, email the staff, they answer quickly).

For Saiga rifle model 1Z-32 (AK) order Part Kit SKU#: CSS-RIFLE-2-T6-5PC (including stock, grip, trigger guard, trigger group, hole plugs) $152.

(You will need a separate bullet guide, if you wish to use Mil-Spec Magazines)

For side mount; Check out www.kalinkaoptics.com. Depending on your rail height preference, look at BP-02 AK to Weaver Mount, Low Profile, Centered (AMBP02) $70

My local gunsmith performed the conversion (including - stoning my trigger to 4lbs) for $85

Accuracy test from the range on Feb 19th 2014 = 3/4" MOA @ 100 yds, though it took a little effort to dial-in my POI, using a 1X EOTech at that distance on an "orange" target (but was well worth the effort).

Hope this helps...

His Local Guy 

Our Local Guy.. ME...

Seriously Though, if you are looking for a gun held together with Cheap parts and screws you can create one pretty easy and pay a gunsmith 85 buck for stoning a trigger, We sell and install a custom trigger for 49...., if you are looking for something More we can create one pretty easy. 

post-16266-0-50654900-1393016465_thumb.jpg

TAC 47 INDUSTRIES; I was simply trying to offer the guy a fairly inexpensive "alternative", since he seemed to be on info overload. I was not advocating that he (not send it to you) for the "baddest Saiga on the planet", if that is his choice?

Being located in Austin with my corporate office on "West Little York Road & Hwy 290" in Houston (and not being aware of your business before moments ago) I certainly may have interest in one of those “Bad Saiga’s” you build. However I would expect to be treated with respect, just as I treat my business associates/customers. May we please begin again, on a positive note?

Regards,

D. Matney

Edited by AKTEX

TAC 47 INDUSTRIES; I was simply trying to offer the guy a fairly inexpensive "alternative", since he seemed to be on info overload. I was not advocating that he (not send it to you) for the "baddest Saiga on the planet", if that is his choice?

Being located in Austin with my corporate office on "West Little York Road & Hwy 290" in Houston (and not being aware of your business before moments ago) I certainly may have interest in one of those “Bad Saiga’s” you build. However I would expect to be treated with respect, just as I treat my business associates/customers. May we please begin again, on a positive note?

Regards,

D. Matney

Was not bashing you, Just showing a comparison..  Nothing to start over about.. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I found a local dealer to do my install but I want to buy the parts myself.

I found this online, is there a way to tell if it will fit my Saiga 7.62 x 39 for sure before buying:

Here is the information:

Thank you----

Saiga 223 762x39 Stock Pistol Grip Buttock Pad Quad Rail Handguard sidemount

Shotgun 6 Position Collapsible Stock with Tube & Buttpad

This tube has QD Base

Push Button QD Sling Swivel Included!

Pistol Grip

Fits Saiga 7.62X39MM, 5.45x39, .223 and Compatible Variants.

Solid Aircraft Aluminum Alloy Construction
Top/Bottom 2-piece Innovative Design with Lower/Upper Pieces Mating/Locking Feature.
Includes 16 Top Slots, 22 Left/Right Slots and 21 Bottom Slots.
Great Zero Retention Capability for All Accessories Installed on the Rails.
Easy Installation with No Modification to the Barrel Involved.

• Material: High Quality Aluminum
  • Rail Type: Picatinny/Weaver
  • Length: 9.3"
  • Weight: 12.4 oz

side mount One Top & Side Rail for you Scope or Red Dot and a Side Rail for Flashlight, Laser

Easy hook up, install in just seconds/may require taping holes if your model is not equipped with any near mounting surface.

• Length: 5.2"
  • Weight: 7.8 oz

12 pcs Rubber cover Included!

This big combo include :

• 6 Position Collapsible Stock
  • Tube with QD Base
  • Buttpad
  • QD Sling Swivel
  • Pistol Grip
  • Quad Rail Handguard System
  • Side mount
  • 12 pcs Rubber Covers

P.S.  I realize that it says fits Saiga 7.62x39 below:

Saiga 223 762x39 Stock Pistol Grip Buttock Pad Quad Rail Handguard sidemount

Shotgun 6 Position Collapsible Stock with Tube & Buttpad

This tube has QD Base

Push Button QD Sling Swivel Included!

Pistol Grip

Fits Saiga 7.62X39MM, 5.45x39, .223 and Compatible Variants.

Solid Aircraft Aluminum Alloy Construction
Top/Bottom 2-piece Innovative Design with Lower/Upper Pieces Mating/Locking Feature.
Includes 16 Top Slots, 22 Left/Right Slots and 21 Bottom Slots.
Great Zero Retention Capability for All Accessories Installed on the Rails.
Easy Installation with No Modification to the Barrel Involved.

• Length: 9.3"
  • Weight: 12.4 oz

side mount One Top & Side Rail for you Scope or Red Dot and a Side Rail for Flashlight, Laser

Easy hook up, install in just seconds/may require taping holes if your model is not equipped with any near mounting surface.

• Length: 5.2"
  • Weight: 7.8 oz

12 pcs Rubber cover Included!

This big combo include :

• 6 Position Collapsible Stock
  • Tube with QD Base
  • Buttpad
  • QD Sling Swivel
  • Pistol Grip
  • Quad Rail Handguard System
  • Side mount
  • 12 pcs Rubber Covers

post-49035-0-36520900-1394470729_thumb.jpg

post-49035-0-54461700-1394470730_thumb.jpg

post-49035-0-61087300-1394470731_thumb.jpg

post-49035-0-64773200-1394470732_thumb.jpg

post-49035-0-65864100-1394470733_thumb.jpg

post-49035-0-76329600-1394470734_thumb.jpg

post-49035-0-67784900-1394470735_thumb.jpg

Edited by beachmcint

sounds like the typical no-conversion stock for a Saiga, which will still stick you with the crappy trigger and pistol grip location.

hard to tell, since there are no images. why not just post a link to the product instead of posting a bunch of marketing features?

• Like 1

I can't comment on the quality of the railed forward section, other than that it looks very heavy. I wouldn't buy it unless you actually plan to hang a ton of crap off of the front of the rifle.

The rear stock/pistol grip as shown is not considered a "conversion" of the Saiga rifle - it simply adds a pistol grip to the stock assembly, but retains the factory trigger configuration.

The majority of people, when they speak of "converting" a Saiga, are talking about removing the factory trigger group assembly, and replacing it with a standard AK trigger group. This moves the entire pistol grip/trigger assembly forward by several inches as well, allowing the rifle to accept standard AK buttstocks and pistol grips, which if nothing else are much cheaper than the Saiga-specific stuff meant to fit factory spec unmodified Saigas.

I have to emphasize how bad the factory trigger is when compared to the standard AK trigger that the gun will have after a full conversion. It's a night and day difference.

I would suggest you continue doing your research on this forum into what is involved in a true conversion - including relocating the trigger group and pistol grip, as well as adding a bullet guide in order to use cheap & reliable surplus steel and other standard AK magazines. Buying Saiga-specific magazines is an absolute waste of money.

• Like 1