Buckshot on setting 2? Saiga 12

I can't believe it's been two days and nobody's responded to your question. 

Your build won't run slug or buck on setting one?  Something is definitely wrong.  You need to further investigate your ports; are they the correct size and are there any blockages?  The best and most conclusive way to find out is to take the gas block off and diagnose the problem yourself.  Also make sure those holes are drilled completely through the barrel.  Mine were not on 2 of 4 ports.  This very well could be your problem.

Another thing to consider is a bolt profile.  Polishing is more for aesthetics.  A proper bolt profile would help.  But I'm always a fan of investigating the ports first.  No amount of profiling will fix a grossly under gassed S-12. 

Best of luck and ask more questions if you're unsure.

Edited by HighPlainsDrifter

My Saiga 12 won't run on setting "1" but runs great on setting "2" with high brass.  It won't run low brass on setting "2".  It has 4 gas ports and has been polished and I have reshaped the hammer. 

Is it okay to run the gun on setting "2"  using high brass?

Find out what the velocity of the shells you are shooting are rated at and the weight of the shot/buck/slug!!  High Brass/Low Brass doesn't mean anything.  Some low brass shells are higher velocity than some of the high brass shells these days.  I have some high brass buckshot that won't cycle shit, they are so soft, about 1150 fps.

Should be able to shoot 1 1/8 oz shot loads @1250 FPS on setting #2,  if not then there are other issues that need correcting.

Jack

• Like 3

The low brass was only 1oz of shot.  The high brass was sellier & bellot full power buckshot, remington express 6 shot and remington mag 4 shot.  I didn't measure the gas ports but a paper clip goes through all 4 holes and the puck is not stuck.  It takes a fair amount of effort to rack the slide back after the hammer has been cocked.  New out of the box it would not cycle the buckshot even on setting 2.

It takes a fair amount of effort to rack the slide back after the hammer has been cocked.  New out of the box it would not cycle the buckshot even on setting 2.

Pics with the dust cover off?

Check out Jack's website. Better yet, do like I did and send your Saiga to Jack for his "reliability" work. He finished mine last week and as of last Friday it is on its way home from Louisiana. Can't wait to see how well it turned out.

Edited by Inspector 12

The low brass was only 1oz of shot.  The high brass was sellier & bellot full power buckshot, remington express 6 shot and remington mag 4 shot.  I didn't measure the gas ports but a paper clip goes through all 4 holes and the puck is not stuck.  It takes a fair amount of effort to rack the slide back after the hammer has been cocked.  New out of the box it would not cycle the buckshot even on setting 2.

You need to know both weight and velocity. It doesn't mean much without both variable. - And Jack had it exactly right. He knows what he is talking about.

• Like 1

My Saiga 12 won't run on setting "1" but runs great on setting "2" with high brass.  It won't run low brass on setting "2".  It has 4 gas ports and has been polished and I have reshaped the hammer. 

Is it okay to run the gun on setting "2"  using high brass?

Find out what the velocity of the shells you are shooting are rated at and the weight of the shot/buck/slug!!  High Brass/Low Brass doesn't mean anything.  Some low brass shells are higher velocity than some of the high brass shells these days.  I have some high brass buckshot that won't cycle shit, they are so soft, about 1150 fps.

Should be able to shoot 1 1/8 oz shot loads @1250 FPS on setting #2,  if not then there are other issues that need correcting.

Jack

I shoot trap as a hobby and can tell you the brand of shells makes a difference too. Some brands of shells such as the Estate brand have a sharper recoil at trigger pull while others like Remington Gun Club shells have a softer recoil. Different powders deliver different pressure curves on ignition. As Jack notes the weight of the charge makes a difference too. One ounce loads are generally "low recoil" shells and are not going to give the Saiga the push it needs to work correctly.